Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    Had to check. :cool:

I do find their constitutional status as unusual, though.
    Without a doubt it is an unusual situation, but they consider themselves to be British. So therefore we should treat invasion of them the same as we would treat an invasion of Wales.

ReputationRep:
    They are British and hence of course we should retake the Islands if invaded again.
    (Original post by Democracy)
    This time maybe we could not sink a battleship filled with teenage recruits...
    They got what they deserved. War is war. they started it, we finished it.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why both countries even care about these damn islands - they don't have gold mines or oil.

Hopefully there won't be another war like the one there was. The military dictatorship that ruled Argentina back in the 1970s was too stupid and decided to start war simply to distract us from what was going on in the country.

ReputationRep:
    It would be a christmas present for Gordon Brown, perhaps the only way he would win the next election,in fact if they invaded right now, he could perhaps delay the next election till we kicked them off again. The Tabloid press would love it too.Actually I'm surprised Mandelbum hasn't got Ms Kirchiner on speed dial, wouldn't put anything past the dark lord.

ReputationRep:
    You could apply that to practically any hostile vessel in history which has lingered in dangerous waters.

I love how you add "teenage recruits" as rhetoric to invoke emotion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    Would it be inexplicably traitorous to be apathetic to such a situation? :ninja:
    Yep.

ReputationRep:
    Regain control of the islands and then take over Argentina.

ReputationRep:
    Given the potentially massive offshore oil fields surrounding the islands, the drilling of which was begun recently, it would be strategically unsound to cede the islands to Argentina.

If there was (and there won't be) an invasion, no British government could afford the massive loss of prestige that would result from not standing up to a foreign attack on British territory.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sweyn Forkbeard)
    Given the potentially massive offshore oil fields surrounding the islands, the drilling of which was begun recently, it would be strategically unsound to cede the islands to Argentina.

If there was (and there won't be) an invasion, no British government could afford the massive loss of prestige that would result from not standing up to a foreign attack on British territory.
    Oil source?

I heard the Falklands served absolutely no purpose, so this is news to me.

ReputationRep:
    I've been opposed to the war in Afghanistan and in Iraq, however I would support military action to get Argentina out of the Falklands, you can't have British citizens being left at the mercy of foreign invaders.

ReputationRep:
    Something very similar to this. Maybe some nice fuss over Antarctica too while they are at it. Always seems to be oil.

ReputationRep:
    Presumably you're talking about the Belgrano.

War has casualties - the Belgrano would have been a threat if it had moved into range of the fleet. The cabinet and the commanding officers of the Conqueror were right to make the call.

Remember, we didn't put those recruits on board that battlecruiser - the Argentinian junta did.

Don't forget that the Argentinians sunk several ships, including an unarmed troop transport ship, without hesitation. Had they had the power to sink one of our amphibious warfare ships or carriers, they would have done so. War is war.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stalin)
    Oil source?

It's a recent discovery - the Falklands EEZ is positively bursting with oil.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stalin)
    Oil source?

Here's a recent article: http://www.fleetstreetinvest.co.uk/o...ate-98463.html

It has been suspected that oil reserves could be in the area for a long time, but I have heard that some of it would require a great deal of investment just to drill down far enough to reach it, which has been slowing progress.

Argentina is not happy - this from yesterday's FT: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/0a83c45c-1...44feab49a.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rucklo)
    Say Argentina invaded the Falklands again, what would you want the governments reaction to be?
    Step 1: Hand the Islands back now. You have two hours to reply.
    Step 2: Send a task force of several thousand men, ships and other weaponry/items of particular use over to the Falklands to remove the Argentinians.
    Step 3: Raise several British Flags (maybe sink a couple of ships and take a few trade ships over)
    Step 4: Raise a proposal in the UN to place sanctions of Argentina for invading British sovereign territory.
    Step 5: Give a private unrecorded warning that if they attempt it again, the army will be at the Argentinian Parliament.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    Step 1: Hand the Islands back now. You have two hours to reply.
    Step 2: Send a task force of several thousand men, ships and other weaponry/items of particular use over to the Falklands to remove the Argentinians.
    Step 3: Raise several British Flags (maybe sink a couple of ships and take a few trade ships over)
    Step 4: Raise a proposal in the UN to place sanctions of Argentina for invading British sovereign territory.
    Step 5: Give a private unrecorded warning that if they attempt it again, the army will be at the Argentinian Parliament.
    Our military is not as capable (comparatively) as it was in 1982, not to mention that we have a large amount of resources tied up in Afghanistan (again! You'd think we'd learn...).

On the other hand, we do have a substantial military presence on the Falklands (and have done since 1982), consisting of a modern airbase, company sized infantry forces and some destroyers, which act as a good deterrent.

ReputationRep:
    It's more a question of what we could do to be honest. But if we were to ignore that, i would say the oil reserves which are thought to exist in the vicinity of the islands are something which would justify putting what small forces we have left in jeopardy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rucklo)
    Say Argentina invaded the Falklands again, what would you want the governments reaction to be?
    To hand me a weapon and say "go boy!!!"

Seriously though, armed response.

And the argies are really trying now more than ever to get it back...

More and more evidence is being found there of argie special forces being present on the island for an increasing amount of time.

ReputationRep:
    Our military is not as capable (comparatively) as it was in 1982, not to mention that we have a large amount of resources tied up in Afghanistan (again! You'd think we'd learn...).

On the other hand, we do have a substantial military presence on the Falklands (and have done since 1982), consisting of a modern airbase, company sized infantry forces and some destroyers, which act as a good deterrent.
    now come on, we all know that you need to do something two, three, four, hell even five times before it truly sinks in...

And with the increased military presence on the FI, as you pointed out, always company level strength, RAF squadron and increased AA defence and with the new toys the armed forces have at their disposal now, we could still kick their arses like its 1982

ReputationRep:

True.
    But I also made the assumption that I was Prime Minister...
    If I were, the military budget would be a damn site larger than £30odd billion..

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 15, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.