Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Falklands watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    It's a recent discovery - the Falklands EEZ is positively bursting with oil.
    (Original post by Sweyn Forkbeard)
    Here's a recent article: http://www.fleetstreetinvest.co.uk/o...ate-98463.html

It has been suspected that oil reserves could be in the area for a long time, but I have heard that some of it would require a great deal of investment just to drill down far enough to reach it, which has been slowing progress.

Argentina is not happy - this from yesterday's FT: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/0a83c45c-1...44feab49a.html
    Oh my, no wonder they want the islands, how long do you reckon people have known about the oil? Moreover, has anyone given a rought estimate of just how much oil is there and just how much is it going to cost?

ReputationRep:
    As a British overseas territory, Britain should defend

(Original post by Stalin)
    Oh my, no wonder they want the islands, how long do you reckon people have known about the oil? Moreover, has anyone given a rought estimate of just how much oil is there and just how much is it going to cost?
    From what I have read, it has been suspected for a few decades. From what I have read, it is suspected it could be one of the largest oil reserves in the world.

http://www.easybourse.com/bourse/act...7980591-793057

Analysts say that as much as 60 billion barrels of high-grade oil could be found in the 200-square-mile economic zone surrounding the islands. That could make the Falklands one of the world's largest oil reserves, comparable with the North Sea, which so far has produced about 40 billion barrels.

ReputationRep:
    Do as we did before, except this time try not to get so many of our ships sunk, especially ships full of supplies like vehicles, food, and so on.

Truthfully though, I'm not so sure the Argies are even interested in the Falklands anymore.
    I hope they don't anyway. The Falklands was brutal, for both sides.

The Argies dropped napalm, the British army did bayonett charges, the Argies used anti air guns to fend off British troops on one of the mountain assaults.

Nasty stuff.

And since the Falklands the number of veterans who have taken their own lives now is more than the total number of British casualties.

(Original post by Democracy)
    This time maybe we could not sink a battleship filled with teenage recruits...
    Hmm, the sinking of the Belgrano surely did stir up a hornets nest of debate. Even today there are people disputing.
    Some say that although it was moving out of the exclusion zone it still posed a threat, whereas others say it was falling back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    True.
    But I also made the assumption that I was Prime Minister...
    If I were, the military budget would be a damn site larger than £30odd billion..
    And just how would you intend on expanding the military budget - seeing as every sector is being slashed.

ReputationRep:
    And just how would you intend on expanding the military budget - seeing as every sector is being slashed.
    Hey, I would be PM in like 30 years...
    This deficit ain't my problem :woo:

(In my view, the bulk of the deficit should come from the Health and Social Security budget with some coming from the education (excl. Uni) budget)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisBan)
    From what I have read, it has been suspected for a few decades. From what I have read, it is suspected it could be one of the largest oil reserves in the world.

http://www.easybourse.com/bourse/act...7980591-793057
    Argentina is 300 odd miles away from the Falklands, wouldn't that give them a legitimate claim to some of the oil?

ReputationRep:
    Argentina is 300 odd miles away from the Falklands, wouldn't that give them a legitimate claim to some of the oil?
    Well... I guess that all depends on what the internationally recognised territorial waters of the Falklands are

ReputationRep:
    We should take them back.
    They are British sovereign territory and so should be defended as the mainland would, they also have as people have said quite alot of oil.
    not forgetting that they give us a legitimate claim to a large segment of the Antarctic.

Whether we would...or be able to with everything deployed everywhere else...

Maybe this is why GB wants those aircraft carriers...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    Hey, I would be PM in like 30 years...
    This deficit ain't my problem :woo:

(In my view, the bulk of the deficit should come from the Health and Social Security budget with some coming from the education (excl. Uni) budget)
    In your dreams :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    If for any reason the Panama Canal was restricted all sea traffic from the Pacific to the Atlantic would have to use the southern oceans (until the northern passage opens reliably) and FI would probably become a major ship repair installation again. It would also hold significant strategic value (more than it currently does) for this passage.
    Aside from the oil, the squid (which is wonderful in the Malvinas Hotel in Stanley by the way!) and the unbelievably beautiful wildlife, the Falkland Islands are British and resoundingly wish to remain so. When you have a vote of over 90% to remain there can't really be much doubt.
    We do have a flight of typhoons, a significant infantry pressence, other resources that aren't open source, and a couple of decent bars down there; and I'd say Castaways and the Elephant's Graveyard are worth defending if nothing else!
    As for Argentina claiming some of the oil, mineral rights depend on the geography and can extend to 200 miles offshore, so no. Not really.

ReputationRep:
    send over thatcher

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mountainmetman)
    If for any reason the Panama Canal was restricted all sea traffic from the Pacific to the Atlantic would have to use the southern oceans (until the northern passage opens reliably) and FI would probably become a major ship repair installation again. It would also hold significant strategic value (more than it currently does) for this passage.
    Aside from the oil, the squid (which is wonderful in the Malvinas Hotel in Stanley by the way!) and the unbelievably beautiful wildlife, the Falkland Islands are British and resoundingly wish to remain so. When you have a vote of over 90% to remain there can't really be much doubt.
    We don't have any destroyers permanently stationed down there, but we do have a flight of typhoons, a significant infantry pressence, other resources that aren't open source, and a couple of decent bars; and I'd say Castaways and the Elephant's Graveyard are worth defending if nothing else!
    As for Argentina claiming some of the oil, mineral rights depend on the geography and can extend to 200 miles offshore, so no. Not really.
    Nice to visit then?
    Might have to go if I can..

ReputationRep:
    Don't know if these will show up, if not I'll sort it when I get home later.

(although this one was taken at South Georgia)

Yeah, worth a visit.

(Original post by Aeolus)
    It's more a question of what we could do to be honest. But if we were to ignore that, i would say the oil reserves which are thought to exist in the vicinity of the islands are something which would justify putting what small forces we have left in jeopardy.
    Well if **** happens.

We can go for the old school strategy of flying a Hercules packed with S.A.S. right into there main airbase.

I can't believe they did that, though I guess it makes sense, your not expecting someone to land on your own runway lmao.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rucklo)
    Well if **** happens.

We can go for the old school strategy of flying a Hercules packed with S.A.S. right into there main airbase.

I can't believe they did that, though I guess it makes sense, your not expecting someone to land on your own runway lmao.
    Eh? Which mission was that?

The mission to fly a Hercules full of members from B Squadron SAS was scrapped because most of soldiers thought it was flawed and too suicidal. So they voiced their concern and so the powers that be thought they were flat out refusing to do it.

As a result a few people were sacked and in a report B squadron were critisized heavily.

Or do you mean a different one?

(Original post by crazylemon)
    We should take them back.
    They are British sovereign territory and so should be defended as the mainland would, they also have as people have said quite alot of oil.
    not forgetting that they give us a legitimate claim to a large segment of the Antarctic.

Whether we would...or be able to with everything deployed everywhere else...

Not to mention most of the residents of the Falklands prefer to be living under British Control than Argie.

Last time they were under Argie control the Argies took over their houses and lived in them. They made a mess, and literally **** everywhere.

ReputationRep:
    Don't know if these will show up, if not I'll sort it when I get home later.

(although this one was taken at South Georgia)

Yeah, worth a visit.

When where you down there? I was there about 2 years ago now. :five:

ReputationRep:
    Round July to October '08, been trying to get back down ever since.

You weren't the research lad sent down that ended up singing Westlife in suicide kareoke were you?

ReputationRep:
    Round July to October '08, been trying to get back down ever since.

You weren't the research lad sent down that ended up singing Westlife in suicide kareoke were you?

No, i was doing my duty aboard a ship 'o the line. :captain:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by warrenpenalver)
    They got what they deserved. War is war. they started it, we finished it.
    Only if by that argument you think any and every act is justifiable in war. Which is a pretty scary point of view.

(Original post by FinishHim!)
    You could apply that to practically any hostile vessel in history which has lingered in dangerous waters.

I love how you add "teenage recruits" as rhetoric to invoke emotion.
    Except that it was outside our ZOE.

(Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    Presumably you're talking about the Belgrano.

War has casualties - the Belgrano would have been a threat if it had moved into range of the fleet. The cabinet and the commanding officers of the Conqueror were right to make the call.

Remember, we didn't put those recruits on board that battlecruiser - the Argentinian junta did.

Don't forget that the Argentinians sunk several ships, including an unarmed troop transport ship, without hesitation. Had they had the power to sink one of our amphibious warfare ships or carriers, they would have done so. War is war.
    So basically we should sink to the levels of a barbaric military junta? Well, that's alright then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss Mary)
    I don't know why both countries even care about these damn islands - they don't have gold mines or oil.
    This very week there is going to start explorations for oil in the Falklands' territorial waters. Perhaps you ought to tell them that they are wasting their time? :rolleyes:

Following your flawless logic, as far as I know London doesn't have oil or gold either. So perhaps we should just forget about sovereignty and the wishes of the people there, and stop caring? London is just as sovereign as the Falklands are, so why/how do you dinstiguish between the two?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 15, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.