Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rucklo)
    Who said it was invincible?

Even so.. only US, Russia (Which Britain would give a good fight)and you could try argue 1 or 2 others, would defeat Britain.
    The way he was talking about the UK made it seem plausible that he believed the UK was undefeatable.

China, Russia and the US would each send the UK back to the dark ages if they went to war without the use of nuclear weapons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    GB wants them...
    GB will be long gone before one of them is even launched, we may even see 2 general elections before we see the carriers.

(Original post by Stalin)
    The way he was talking about the UK made it seem plausible that he believed the UK was undefeatable.

China, Russia and the US would each send the UK back to the dark ages if they went to war without the use of nuclear weapons.
    China would not, it is using weaponry from the 70's. They have no way of getting there massive amount of soldiers from the UK to China fast.

And yeah Russia would win, it would be crippled in the process if Britain gave it all it had in the process of going down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Giggsy's Girl)
    Yeah that's right, he was one of the first on the island. There was a reunion for those who served and got the South Atlantic medal (with the rosette) a couple of years ago which my dad went to. The reuinion was at the Falklands and he got to see all his buddies he fought alongside. Maybe your mates dad was there! I'll check those books out, thanks.
    Yeah, there are many that are going back for the first time since the conflict. I can't imagine how hard it must have been for the former members of 2 Para when they went back to Goose Green for the first time in twenty years, or 3 Para when they went back to Mount Longdon for the first time in 20 years.

Interesting you also mentioned the South Atlantic medal and the rosette. You know anyone who served in the South Atlantic got one, from members of the Navy, rear echelon, and so on. However only the people who were inside the exclusion zone had a rosette on their medal.

But I'm guessing you knew that already. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    GB will be long gone before one of them is even launched, we may even see 2 general elections before we see the carriers.
    True, we will see.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    Interesting you also mentioned the South Atlantic medal and the rosette. You know anyone who served in the South Atlantic got one, from members of the Navy, rear echelon, and so on. However only the people who were inside the exclusion zone had a rosette on their medal.

But I'm guessing you knew that already. :cool:
    Haha, I only found out when I asked my dad about it.

I do know quite a bit about it, but then, I know a bit about all wars because I have this fascination with the military.

ReputationRep:
    China would not, it is using weaponry from the 70's. They have no way of getting there massive amount of soldiers from the UK to China fast.

And yeah Russia would win, it would be crippled in the process if Britain gave it all it had in the process of going down.
    I think you underestimate the Chinese Navy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_...rcraft_carrier

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_052B_destroyer
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_052C_destroyer
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_051C_destroyer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_054A_frigate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_039_submarine
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_093
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuan_class_submarine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    This time maybe we could not sink a battleship filled with teenage recruits...
    Only if they are not dumb enough to make it a direct threat to our taskforce.

That is still no where near enough to bring an invading force to the UK.

And if they were to try, aircraft would be deployed too weaken is considerably, they would struggle to get a ship in striking distance of the UK, excluding there sub's. But then there is anti-missile measures.

ReputationRep:
    That is still no where near enough to bring an invading force to the UK.

And if they were to try, aircraft would be deployed too weaken is considerably, they would struggle to get a ship in striking distance of the UK, excluding there sub's. But then there is anti-missile measures.
    Until the UK has its entire new fleet(CVF, Type 45s and Astute Class), I really can't see it defeating China.

Moreover, I'm sure there's a lot you and I don't know about the Chinese military, after all their budget does seem fake to say the least.

Until the UK has its entire new fleet(CVF, Type 45s and Astute Class), I really can't see it defeating China.

Moreover, I'm sure there's a lot you and I don't know about the Chinese military, after all their budget does seem fake to say the least.

Half there troops still use ak47 or replica models.

No wonder it's so low, they probably buy them for $200 a piece.

EDIT: The fact is, if it was that serious. China would fire nukes, Britain would fire nukes. Britain would be destroyed and China would have its major cities destroyed and take many decades to recover to any kind of prewar stage.

Stock markets would crash like never seen before and the world would be ******.

ReputationRep:
    Half there troops still use ak47 or replica models.

No wonder it's so low, they probably buy them for $200 a piece.

EDIT: The fact is, if it was that serious. China would fire nukes, Britain would fire nukes. Britain would be destroyed and China would have its major cities destroyed and take many decades to recover to any kind of prewar stage.

Stock markets would crash like never seen before and the world would be ******.
    But China would win :ahee:

No, no one would win because other countries would get involved as the world went to ****.

ReputationRep:
    The Empire WILL Strike back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    Argentina is no longer run by a crazed junta that conscripts children into gaining a few islands.

I'm not even going to consider the situation because it won't happen in the near future.
    I wouldn't be so sure of that.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...companies.html

ReputationRep:
    http://en.mercopress.com/2010/02/05/...-legal-actions

ReputationRep:
    To quote the song "Eve of Destruction" by Barry McGuire:

"They'd be no-one to save, with the world in a grave."

ReputationRep:
    Them Argies don't like it up 'em. They don't like it up 'em!

ReputationRep:

The US would, sure - it has more carriers than the rest of the world combined, and the USMC is larger than the British Army.

However, Russia's expeditionary capacity is very limited, and China's is non-existent. They are potent defence forces, and could wage a war easily against their neighbours, but an industrialised island nation of 60 million people several thousand miles away?

Russia could do it if it's navy shaped up, but as it stands neither the Black Sea or Arctic fleets could survive or transport very many troops when Britain has unquestionable air superiority. Russia only has one carrier, and it's rubbish - that's hardly enough to bring enough fighters to challenge British dominance of our own airspace.

China has no Navy to speak of, mostly relying on a mass of cheap and cheerful destroyers that wouldn't stand up in an environment where the Chinese were lacking air superiority, and is woefully lacking in fleet auxiliaries to support a long-term campaign on the other side of the world. They have a grand total of zero carriers, meaning that any navy they could bring to bear on a foreign expedition would just be wiped out. In other words, if Russia has got a snowball's chance in hell of waging a successful conventional war, then China simply hasn't got a chance.

(Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    The US would, sure - it has more carriers than the rest of the world combined, and the USMC is larger than the British Army.

However, Russia's expeditionary capacity is very limited, and China's is non-existent. They are potent defence forces, and could wage a war easily against their neighbours, but an industrialised island nation of 60 million people several thousand miles away?

Russia could do it if it's navy shaped up, but as it stands neither the Black Sea or Arctic fleets could survive or transport very many troops when Britain has unquestionable air superiority. Russia only has one carrier, and it's rubbish - that's hardly enough to bring enough fighters to challenge British dominance of our own airspace.

China has no Navy to speak of, mostly relying on a mass of cheap and cheerful destroyers that wouldn't stand up in an environment where the Chinese were lacking air superiority, and is woefully lacking in fleet auxiliaries to support a long-term campaign on the other side of the world. They have a grand total of zero carriers, meaning that any navy they could bring to bear on a foreign expedition would just be wiped out. In other words, if Russia has got a snowball's chance in hell of waging a successful conventional war, then China simply hasn't got a chance.
    China within 4 years will have 3 carriers. And it has a fair few of what it has.

While I agree with your logic, it's Navy is not strong enough yet but it is there and will be stronger than ours in 10-15 years.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 15, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.