Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Do you think that will be possible?

At school i didnt try as hard as i should, and now i regret it.
    How difficult is higher maths, am planning on doing it without doing int 2.
    I have a few months before college starts, i could revise until it starts.
    Also the same for english
    But i think english will be easier than maths

Ill be happy with a grade c for both

ReputationRep:
    What college have you applied to? Probably waaay bejoynd ayrshire, but if you're applying for ayr/kilmarnock or james watt (kilwinning) then I'll have a vague idea...

English
    If possible, email the cirrculum leader of the Pathways/Access to Further/Higher Education, and ask what books/poems they normally do for English.

In college they normally stick by what the school's do, e.g. we're doing Jekyll and Hyde, Smeddum, Visiting Hour, My Last Duchess and A Streetcar Named Desire... If you find out, buy them, read them, get notes for them etc. Annotate them if you want (your books/past papers/study aids come under your bursary so don't worry about books! lol) so you'll find loads of notes on 'em on the tinternet.

If and when you get them:
    Look for themes/symbols/characters/ideas in it
    Get basic ideas about the plot and structure
    Get to grips with the common critical terms/techniques
    Try and get to grips with essay writing. I've got a list of H English stuff in the "Higher English Thread - 2009/10" thread" which can help out with that.
    Start reading the herald/times/scotsman newspapers.
    Go through the close reading with an online guide.

English is good in the sense of background work, as people who do SG aren't really prepared for Higher at all.

Maths
    Firstly, here's the topics you should revise before doing higher:
    -Simultaneous (linear) equations
    -The laws of indices
    -Surds
    -Factorization
    -Solving quadratics (x = \dfrac{-b \pm \sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a})
    -Sketching quadratic and exponential functions
    - +/-/xing algerbraic fractions

...and then you're prepared for higher

Secondly, try and go through the course online and attempt some practice questions. Get to grips with common formulae and equations.

I was on the same boat as you with maths, but it allll clicked

(College is designed for people who haven't really done the standard grade/int 2 version of their subjects, e.g. only 6 people in my higher chemistry/biology classes have done standard grade)

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, I think maths is a bad idea. I got an A for Int 2 last year and I'm averaging 20-40 percent with Higher. If you know that the C was down to you doing absolutely zilch throughout the year, and you need a pass at Higher for the career you want, then by all means go for it! Just don't say I didn't warn you. It's ******* difficult!

English is a bit more hit or miss though. You're either gonna find it really easy or really difficult. Luckily though, Luhlah's right and pretty much everyone doing English will be in the same boat as you since Standard Grade/Int 2 are absolutely crap in preparing you for the course. Besides, if you only need a C, English isn't too bad. The cut offs are usually pretty low and getting around 13/25 and 25/50 for the essays and close reading shouldn't be too difficult and will acquire you with a solid pass.

Hell, as long as you're prepared to work, i don't see why you couldn't ace the subjects. Make sure to aim high!

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Do your best.

I, for one, took on Higher Accounting without having done it for the previous 17 years of my life. Got a very comfortable A. Very difficult, but I pulled it off. Miraculously! If I can do that with no experience in the subject whatsoever, you should be able to at least pass Higher Maths. Just work, work, repeat, repeat, repeat, etc, untill you have the key to passing well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qq1)
    But i think english will be easier than maths
    :no:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SittingOnTheDockOfTheBay)
    I got an A (band 1) for Int 2 Maths and I failed the Higher Prelim; more than half of the class failed (and they had got As at Int 2 as well).

I'm not trying to discourage you because I like to be positive about these type of things but I personally believe that would be impossible for someone to do Higher Maths with a C at Intermediate 1. :dontknow:
    I am in the same boat this year I got a 1 last year at standard grade maths and did terrible in the prelim (38%) only 5 people out of around 30 people passed it in my class. Just wondering if you have any tip ? how did you go from failing the prelim to an A in the exam ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S.Beall)
    Do your best.

I, for one, took on Higher Accounting without having done it for the previous 17 years of my life. Got a very comfortable A. Very difficult, but I pulled it off. Miraculously! If I can do that with no experience in the subject whatsoever, you should be able to at least pass Higher Maths. Just work, work, repeat, repeat, repeat, etc, untill you have the key to passing well.
    maths and account are two completely different subject thou
    well done on the A in accounts I am doing it this year and thinking about doing it at uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stefany-a)
    maths and account are two completely different subject thou
    well done on the A in accounts I am doing it this year and thinking about doing it at uni

I know they are completely different. But the point I am making is that if you try something with all your effort, you can succeed. I expected to crash and burn in Accounts. Took it, thinking that I would have to do the Int 2 after the Prelims. Beat people who had done it for 2 years at Standard Grade.

I wish you the best of luck. Don't give up, even if it becomes so frustrating. I had that several times, but I became very good at things I simply couldn't do at the start - Budgets for instance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S.Beall)
    I know they are completely different. But the point I am making is that if you try something with all your effort, you can succeed. I expected to crash and burn in Accounts. Took it, thinking that I would have to do the Int 2 after the Prelims. Beat people who had done it for 2 years at Standard Grade.

I wish you the best of luck. Don't give up, even if it becomes so frustrating. I had that several times, but I became very good at things I simply couldn't do at the start - Budgets for instance.
    it makes more sense now
    did you do 12344578029383940 pastpaper ?
    I hate section B , I managed to just get an A in the prelim
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I think that it would be very difficult for someone with a C in Int. 1 Maths to pass the Higher, and virtually impossible for them to get an A. It's up to you, and I applaud your ambition, but I think you might end up getting yourself into a bit of a situation by attempting Higher - most people who get As/1s at Int. 2/SG struggle with the course to some extent.

English, I agree, would be more doable, but would still be very very difficult.

If you're certain it's what you want to do then why not start off doing the Highers and then if they're feeling too difficult, drop to Int. 2, or is that not an option for you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SittingOnTheDockOfTheBay)
    I think you may have misread my post. I got an A in Intermediate 2 Maths and I'm currently doing Higher Maths which I have just failed the prelim for. So, I don't think you'd want any advice from me. :p:
    oops

ReputationRep:
    College is a lot more different from school, in terms of highers. They basically let you do any subject you want and will offer all the support they can, and if you want your A, you'll get it, BUT, motivation is a fickel thing...

ReputationRep:
    Simultaneous linear equations

2x+5y+14=0
    3x-y=13

Solve these equations simultaneously to get x & y

You need to arrange them to get numerically the same y-coefficient (make the whole number minus and put it after '='" in both equations, so times the equation by 5...

and you then write this:
    2x+5y = -14
    15x-5y = 65
    ------------
    17x = 51
    -17 -17
    x = 3.

So we get x=3. To find y, we put 3 into the second equation:
    x=3
    3(3)-y =13
    and then you rearrange it:
    y=3x3-13
    y=-4

So we get x=3 and y=-4.

----

I'll update this later, I have maths in half an hour lol :p:

DON'T DO IT (FOR MATHS ANYWAY).

I got a C for Int 2 Maths and, like you, thought I should have worked harder and that Higher Maths would be ok because of this - it really wasn't. My advice is pass Int 2 as well as you can, you don't need Higher Maths for tons of subjects at uni level.

My friend got an A for Int 2 Maths and 1% in the Prelim after doing the course for two years. You don't need the stress, play to your strengths and make a career out of it.

Good luck!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.