Turn on thread page Beta

Is rejecting people because they have an illness ok? watch

ReputationRep:
    It's never wrong to reject someone.

ReputationRep:
    well I mean what counts as a mental illness - It's OK to reject someone for being a stupid idiot, isn't it? Surely that's a mental illness.

Oh and btw I have both my legs amputated - and it's never interfered with my love life... helped, if anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rogerio134)
    V true.

off topic but how did you get the little united symbol as your flag when you post mate? im part of the United Soc. but not sure how to do get the flag up.
    My account > change flag to united

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MancBoy)
    My account > change flag to united
    Cheers mate! that has been bugging me for a while lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakura-Chan)
    True. But being with a person who's mentally ill can be incredibly difficult, and they can make your life hard as well along the way. It's not unreasonable to not want to be with someone like that, or someone who you can't have a 100% normal relationship with all the time. I can see why someone wouldn't want to put up with everything that comes with it.
    I know it can be hard; my mother has paranoid schizophrenia (fully medicated). I can see the point about not wanting to be with them if they are in a state of mania/psychosis, but just because somebody has a diagnosis, it doesn't mean that they should be alone. Imagine if everybody had the view "**** that", surely it would make a **** life worse.

ReputationRep:
    I think the more pertinent question is, is rejecting anna ok?

To which the answer is: yes.

ReputationRep:
    This thread made me think of this video:

http://www.poetv.com/video.php?vid=38152

Before you judge the OP, think about what you would do in this situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    if the lad was not fully deaf, could still speak normal and didnt have to use much/any sign language then it would be ok but if he couldnt speak normal and had to use a lot/all sign language then i would avoid him
    yeh thats kinda what i was getting at. Im almost completly deaf but dont use sign language and 'generally' get on ok (some social situations can be a pain for me and my boyfriend though)

I suppose it all comes down to how much you personally can deal with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cazzi)
    yeh thats kinda what i was getting at. Im almost completly deaf but dont use sign language and 'generally' get on ok (some social situations can be a pain for me and my boyfriend though)

I suppose it all comes down to how much you personally can deal with.

can i just ask (and im sorry if i come across as narrow minded but i dont know any deaf people so dont know how it works) how do you communicate with people if you are almost totally deaf but dont use sign language?

ReputationRep:
    Aesthetically disability doesn't bother me at all (as in, missing limbs, use of wheelchairs, facial deformities). I'm far more attracted to "imperfect" faces and bodies to "perfect" ones, so to speak. Dunno why.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    can i just ask (and im sorry if i come across as narrow minded but i dont know any deaf people so dont know how it works) how do you communicate with people if you are almost totally deaf but dont use sign language?
    haha yeh i realise that must be confusing.

I have a hearing aid in one ear. Thats enough for me to live a normal lfe, but without it I cant hear a thing. (I sleep so well!!) Apparently my hearing is about 80% with it, and like 5/10% without. Hurray for technology! lol
    But ive never had to learn sign language due to this - although I should someday.:rolleyes:

*Also I should add: I only lost my hearing when I was 8 so I already knew what things sound like and how to talk properly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackmileshunt)
    I know it can be hard; my mother has paranoid schizophrenia (fully medicated). I can see the point about not wanting to be with them if they are in a state of mania/psychosis, but just because somebody has a diagnosis, it doesn't mean that they should be alone. Imagine if everybody had the view "**** that", surely it would make a **** life worse.
    My mum has some form of severe depression/paranoia (undiagnosed as she refuses to go see a doctor). I have lived alone with her for 4 years prior to university, so am adamant to never go through that again. I love her dearly, and it cuts me to watch her suffer, but I don't think I can do that on a day by day basis for the rest of my life - I would eventually collapse and succumb to stupidity. It's also led to my father walking out of our lives, and really, if I was him I don't know if I would've done anything different. Sometimes, it's not about not loving them enough; because ironically, the more you care, the more it hurts. I know my dad's also considered suicide at times before

However, I wouldn't reject someone purely based on that. If they accept the illness and receive treatment (the most important thing, I believe), I will stand by them because I love them. And the more serious a relationship, the more true this is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meh.)
    My mum has some form of severe depression/paranoia (undiagnosed as she refuses to go see a doctor). I have lived alone with her for 4 years prior to university, so am adamant to never go through that again. I love her dearly, and it cuts me to watch her suffer, but I don't think I can do that on a day by day basis for the rest of my life - I would eventually collapse and succumb to stupidity. It's also led to my father walking out of our lives, and really, if I was him I don't know if I would've done anything different. Sometimes, it's not about not loving them enough; because ironically, the more you care, the more it hurts. I know my dad's also considered suicide at times before

However, I wouldn't reject someone purely based on that. If they accept the illness and receive treatment (the most important thing, I believe), I will stand by them because I love them. And the more serious a relationship, the more true this is.
    I take it she has never seen an assessment team? I don't mean to scare you, but this is EXACTLY how my mum started. How long has she been like it for?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 8, 2010
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.