Turn on thread page Beta

Nigel Farage vs John Bercow watch

ReputationRep:
    Who's better? Positives? Negatives?

Who will win the Buckingham seat?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know anything about politics, but I know Nigel Farage's son, he used to go to my school.....he's probably the biggest ******** I've ever some across in my life. Plus, he likes to wear baggy pink joggers and a hairband, what a douche lol.

So I'm going for John Bercow, whoever he is...

ReputationRep:
    Bercow is a perfectly good neutral speaker and is exactly what we need.

Farage is a *******.

ReputationRep:
    Bercow will win for the reason that he has a large majority and his only opponent is Nigel Farage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pork and Beans)
    Bercow is a perfectly good neutral speaker and is exactly what we need.

Farage is a *******.
    Neutral????

A horrible arrogent pointless little man... doing things 'his way' rather then acknowleding traditions.

Farage to win.

ReputationRep:
    Bercow epitomises what's wrong with the political class in this day and age. A shallow, weak and deferential man. Give me Farage any day, agree or disagree with him - you still have to respect that he has the balls to go out there.

ReputationRep:
    Bercow is a smug one with no good ideas. He has effectively ruined the chances of a decent Speaker. I wonder how he'd cope as an MP...

I've always been able to tolerate Farrage - he has some pretty good ideas. I lost interest in UKIP when he was replaced with Lord Pearson. However I lost interest in Farrage himself when he said he wanted to ban the burka.

ReputationRep:
    Bercow is an idiot.

I would like Farage to win.

ReputationRep:
    Farage - closet racist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakePearson)
    Bercow is a smug one with no good ideas. He has effectively ruined the chances of a decent Speaker. I wonder how he'd cope as an MP...
    Uhh... Just FYI, the Speaker IS an MP. He's just not allowed to vote as the speaker unless its a tie-breaker. So he WAS an MP before he became the speaker... and he probably did fine. Can't be arsed to check what he did but I'm sure he did adequately.

ReputationRep:

I've always been able to tolerate Farrage - he has some pretty good ideas. I lost interest in UKIP when he was replaced with Lord Pearson. However I lost interest in Farrage himself when he said he wanted to ban the burka.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Bercow already an MP?

For me, anyone other than the UKIP and BNP. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    Farage - closet racist.
    That is complete balderdash. An inverted pyramid of piffle. It is all completely untrue and ludicrous conjecture. I am amazed people can write this drivel.

:woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muffinz)
    Uhh... Just FYI, the Speaker IS an MP. He's just not allowed to vote as the speaker unless its a tie-breaker. So he WAS an MP before he became the speaker... and he probably did fine. Can't be arsed to check what he did but I'm sure he did adequately.
    :facepalm: Of course he's an MP, what's wrong with me. :confused:

http://www.publicwhip.org.uk/mp.php?...splay=allvotes

According to They Work For You, Bercow voted as follows...

Voted a mixture of for and against a transparent Parliament. (Surprise surprise, considering his expenses)
    Voted a mixture of for and against introducing a smoking ban. (Should have been all against, In my opinion)
    Voted very strongly against introducing ID cards. (Good)
    Voted strongly against introducing foundation hospitals. (Don't know what they are)
    Voted strongly against introducing student top-up fees. (I'm in Scotland - don't care)
    Voted moderately against Labour's anti-terrorism laws. (Should have been very strongly against, but still good)
    Voted very strongly for the Iraq war. (Fool)
    Voted moderately for an investigation into the Iraq war. (After he realised what a **** up it was, even though he voted for it)
    Voted very strongly for replacing Trident. (I'm undecided)
    Voted strongly against the hunting ban. (Good)
    Voted moderately for equal gay rights. (Could have done more here)
    Voted very strongly for laws to stop climate change. (Government intervention - yay)

He claims around £115,000 in expenses on average a year.

ReputationRep:
    Bercow is an odius little man. I want farage to win, though I am disappointed he supports so silly illiberal policies (burka ban)

Plus I think he would wind up a huge number of people in parliament.

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm: Of course he's an MP, what's wrong with me. :confused:

http://www.publicwhip.org.uk/mp.php?...splay=allvotes

According to They Work For You, Bercow voted as follows...

Voted a mixture of for and against a transparent Parliament. (Surprise surprise, considering his expenses)
    Voted a mixture of for and against introducing a smoking ban. (Should have been all against, In my opinion)
    Voted very strongly against introducing ID cards. (Good)
    Voted strongly against introducing foundation hospitals. (Don't know what they are)
    Voted strongly against introducing student top-up fees. (I'm in Scotland - don't care)
    Voted moderately against Labour's anti-terrorism laws. (Should have been very strongly against, but still good)
    Voted very strongly for the Iraq war. (Fool)
    Voted moderately for an investigation into the Iraq war. (After he realised what a **** up it was, even though he voted for it)
    Voted very strongly for replacing Trident. (I'm undecided)
    Voted strongly against the hunting ban. (Good)

He claims around £115,000 in expenses on average a year.
    Voted moderately for equal gay rights.
    Voted very strongly for laws to stop climate change.
    That's an extremely good record, if I say so. And I think he's a charming speaker :3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muffinz)
    That's an extremely good record, if I say so. And I think he's a charming speaker :3
    BUT BUT BUT

He refuses to wear the traditional speakers outfit.
    The *******!

ReputationRep:
    I saw Bercow speak the other day. Good speaker but a bit of a smug git :rolleyes: he said very little that was insightful. But I guess at the end of the day he's done the job alright (despite refurbishing the Speaker's appartment at the taxpayer's expense :mad: ). He says his achievements are
    1) getting Parliament to run more effectively at PMQ so more backbenchers can speak
    2) making headway on getting select committee chairs to be elected by Parliament rather than appointed by whips
    3) Getting a creche put in Parliament to make it more accessible for female civil servants and MPs (or those with families etc)

As far as I remember, Farage is an idiot.

Bercow is pretty confident he'll be reelected and plans to campaign based on his track record as an MP for the constituency, rather than party politics (which he can't do)

ReputationRep:
    It would be pretty funny if Farage won, although I can't help but think that he is doing this primarily to get an easy seat in the commons instead of to displace Bercow. Nonetheless I would like Farage to win it.

ReputationRep:
    Farage is a tosser, he is only contesting Bercow's seat because no other party will stand against Bercow because he is the spaeker.

If Farage really wants a proper mandate, he should contest an ordinary seat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    Farage is a tosser, he is only contesting Bercow's seat because no other party will stand against Bercow because he is the spaeker.

If Farage really wants a proper mandate, he should contest an ordinary seat.
    I think he's doing it out of a hatred for John Bercow (and the publicity, tbh) rather than consciously because he thinks it'll be easier to win.

And I say fair play to him, Bercow is smug, arrogant, self-serving little git who only got the job because the Labour MPs realised how much the Tory MPs hated him.

That he wanted to change the rules so he didn't have to be re-elected by his constituency after Farage announced his challenge tells you all you need to know really.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 7, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.