Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

England/Britain's Greatest Monarch? watch

• View Poll Results: England/Britain's Greatest Monarch?
    King William I
    4.65%
    King Henry II
    2.33%
    King Richard I
    4.65%
    King Edward I
    0%
    King Henry V
    6.98%
    King Henry VIII
    16.28%
    Queen Elizabeth I
    37.21%
    King James I
    6.98%
    King Charles I
    0%
    King George III
    2.33%
    Queen Victoria
    18.60%
    King George V
    0%
    Other
    0%

ReputationRep:
    Bar Elizabeth II, as she has yet to complete her reign.

Yes, "best" is subjective, but try to go on factors such as:

- Influence.
    - Leadership skills.
    - Caliber of rule.

And so on.

I've listed the more famous ones (in order of rule), feel free to add more in the thread.

ReputationRep:
    James I without a doubt

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RiddleMeThis)
    James I without a doubt
    Why? Just out of interest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FinishHim!)
    Why? Just out of interest.
    because I'm studying him at the mo'

I haven't studied any of the others and tbh James was probably the worst. But still.....

ReputationRep:
    I like Henry VII but thats not an option

ReputationRep:
    Erm, why is Charles I on there?

ReputationRep:
    Don't restrict it to England.

Robert I of Scotland a.k.a Robert the Bruce.

Bannockburn, need I say more?

ReputationRep:
    Henry V becuase of Agincourt

ReputationRep:
    Henry VIII. He was royal and a player. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Obviously Edward VII !!! Joking joking!

ReputationRep:
    Henry V for sticking it to the French.

ReputationRep:
    King William I

All the others failed to achieve what he did. To capture a much larger neighbour and assimilate it into his lands in the face of wide-spread revolts. Plus he was already renowned for his exploits in Brittany. I don't think anyone else in English history has had such an impact as to pull quasi-Nordic England firmly into the orbit of the continent.

All the others have achieved is the conquest of weaker peoples or simply holding onto the possession that William I gained. Henry V would of gotten my support if he had managed to seize the throne of France for his heirs. He didn't however.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Henry VIII. He was royal and a player. :yep:

He was indeed. Although he manage to kill two of his wives! XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theblackphoenixcon)
    He was indeed. Although he manage to kill two of his wives! XD
    They were whores, no harm done.

Elizabeth; though King John was probably the most useful monarch ever in terms of the UK, he was so awful and lost so much territory in France that he had to just concentrate on the UK because it was all he had left, so he was the first Monarch to really be a King of England rather than essentially being French - plus his imcompetance also resulted in magna carta.

Henry VIII was absolutely awful, he inherited a tidy treasury that Henry VII had left him and proceeded to piss it away on a bunch of wars in France that he didn't win, and multiple times he agreed with Spain to have a joint attack on France and multiple times Spain didn't show up, meaning England was screwed, and yet Henry VIII just fell for it again another time!

I agree with whoever said Henry VII was pretty good, I always liked him too. But Elizabeth was definitely the best on that list, a very intelligent diplomat who fended off Spain at a time when they were far more powerful than we were.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps the greatest king of England could be the only one to have the epithet of "the Great"?

ReputationRep:
    It has to be Queen Victoria.

She is the longest reigning female monarch in history. She presided over a period of industrial, political, scientific, and military advancement within the country. Victoria's reign created for Britain the concept of the family monarchy with which the burgeoning middle classes could identify.

Victoria gets my vote.

ReputationRep:
    Elizabeth I.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MSB)
    Perhaps the greatest king of England could be the only one to have the epithet of "the Great"?
    Alfred?

ReputationRep:
    To the person who wrote this in response to my comment on this thread up yours...
    Why not give your name?

(I don't want you posting in serious threads because you are an utter disgrace to Great Britain.

Until you stop, I'll keep neg-repping you. Might be sad... but I don't have much else to do on TSR and you're a real little ****.)

Disgrace? How dare I have an opinion.Maybe I should be more sheep like... like you?

Anyway, I stand by my Victoria choice.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.