Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Nobody plays guitar like Jimi Hendrix anymore.. watch

ReputationRep:
    Or Eric Clapton, or Paul Gibson, or Nuno Bettencourt, or Van Hallen ... or anyother virtuosi who plays guitar skillfuly,...

i get the feeling that its getting easier nowadays to form a band, get famous for one or two years and went down south afterwards,...

is it just me or it is a fact of life?

ReputationRep:
    I agree, there does seem to be very few modern artists known for instrument playing talents. I cant actually think of anyone tbh, having said that my music sense is a bit different than yours im pretty sure.
    Nevertheless, Ive heard of Van Halen, Clapton, Hendrix...in fact I know that they are legendary

ReputationRep:
    Or Stevie Ray. Music is a product, packaged to be sold by clever marketing nowadays. Sad fact of life but there are decent bands out there if you look. I highly reccomend you check out a guy called Scott Mckeon - absolutely awesome young guitarist who has toured with Clapton and a few others.

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed that modern music tastes verge away from instrumental prowess and concentrate on the singers. All the radio edits of songs that I like have all the instrumental solos removed from them. It's quite depressing actually.

ReputationRep:
    Scott Mckeon
    ..cool, i'll have a look arund...

Music is a product, packaged to be sold by clever marketing nowadays
    indeed,.. i am by no means a good guitar player (i do play a little bit; and get manicure afterwards.. lol),..but seriously,..everything surround us has been industrialised,..like that The Jonas Brothers, what is that all about...

ReputationRep:
    That's why no one with any real taste listens to today's music.

ReputationRep:
    People complaining about the state of modern music and apparently only paying attention to the most popular of bands?

ffffffffuuuuuuuuu, whatever next?

I suppose if you're not willing to look beyond the charts and that the point stands but still, that the majority don't currently listen to the kind of artists you're describing doesn't mean there aren't loads out there.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, thank God.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with Hendrix, but if people 40 years later hadn't moved on to something else, then this world woould be in a sad cultural state.

If you want virtuoso players, you need to look in metal. Alex Skolnick and Alexi Laiho are a couple that spring to mind.

ReputationRep:
    jorma kaukonen is pretty incredible (even though hes getting on a bit now!)

check out the band in my sig if you want some raw talent :p:

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to be a virtuoso to make good music. Look at Beethoven, the middle movement from the moonlight sonata (the famous one!) is only grade 6 standard and that's definitely not virtuoistic but it's still a very popular and good piece.

Anyway, like someone else up there said, it's a good thing that we've moved on from Hendrix. How boring would it be with everyone still playing the same style?!

Anyway, if you're looking for really good guitarists and haven't found any you obviously haven't been looking hard enough! Get on it!

ReputationRep:
    TBH the best musicians around are all session musicians now not in bands, spose its more secure if you have an amazing talent to do recording/session work, charge a nice amount for drum/guitar clinics etc than to cut it out in the band world

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stalin)
    one word: radiohead

ReputationRep:
    There are loads of good musicians around. Stop basing your perspective of modern music on Radio One and you might find some of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pheylan)
    one word: radiohead
    I've never been a fan of Radiohead - and they're hardly relevant in today's music, I've always been more into Oasis.

Ultimately though, there is no AC/DC, The Smiths, Dire Straits or Big L(if you're into hip hop) in today's music. Any time I see one of these sell outs on the news they look like people I used to make fun of at school, literally the feeble kids who were considered girls. What's with the tight jeans, the gestapo hats, pointy shoes but more importantly, the severe lack of talent?

Aslong as my iPod doesn't bail out on me and I can still listen to anything pre 2000, it's all good.

I've not heard anything in today's music comes remotely close to any of the great bands, it's tragic really, perhaps the only band that's rattled the cage so far has been Airbourne, but even they're simply a gimmick.

ReputationRep:
    Stop basing your perspective of modern music
    lol, dont get me wrong, i like modern music, i went to Boston last year and watched The Blue Man Group, and astonished by them,..that is what is all about isnt it,..you need to "Master" on what you do be it only an arrangement of tubes and pipes,..they managed to create "Something" out of "Nothing"..

Is the Mastering skills that i found declining nowadays,..you know how to play a bit, minor major keys, get the lot join in and thats it,....

ReputationRep:
    Stalin, you are my baby...

ReputationRep:
    they're hardly relevant in today's music, I've always been more into Oasis
    i like oasis too but what? how are radiohead not relevant in today's music?

listen to this if you haven't heard it before

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pheylan)
    i like oasis too but what? how are radiohead not relevant in today's music?

listen to this if you haven't heard it before

Their last album was out in 2007, they're done, I'll admit they were a good band and certainly influenced a bunch of people, but they were never my cup of tea as I've never been into alternative rock, infact I hate it.

You're only relevant in today's music if you're if you're in the charts, as silly as it sounds, and as much as I hate to say it, it's true. If you're not in the charts, you're not being listened to and therefore are not relevant(in today's music).

Buy me a ticket to go and see AC/DC in Australia along with a pint and I'll be your friend for life.

ReputationRep:
    I feel sorry for Stalin as they're evidently missing out on so much simply because 'OMG IF IT'S MADE AFTER 2000 IT SUCKS'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hothedgehog)
    You don't have to be a virtuoso to make good music. Look at Beethoven, the middle movement from the moonlight sonata (the famous one!) is only grade 6 standard and that's definitely not virtuoistic but it's still a very popular and good piece.
    It's actually the first movement :p: (The second movement is kind of dull. The third movement is the best though, you should check it out.) You make a really good point though - some of Mozart's music is really simple too but it's still considered excellent. I once played this piece in a concert at my school, and I chose it because it's really easy - but it doesn't mean it's no good.

But you're only referring to electric guitar music, aren't you? There are many highly talented piano-based and acoustic guitar-based singer songwriters out there.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 13, 2010
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.