Turn on thread page Beta

Nobody plays guitar like Jimi Hendrix anymore.. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by concubine)
    I feel sorry for Stalin as they're evidently missing out on so much simply because 'OMG IF IT'S MADE AFTER 2000 IT SUCKS'.
    In that case prove me wrong, which band from the 2000 era could the world look back on in 30 years time and say they're up there with The Rolling Stones, U2 etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saucy_little_thing)
    Or Eric Clapton, or Paul Gibson, or Nuno Bettencourt, or Van Hallen ... or anyother virtuosi who plays guitar skillfuly,...

i get the feeling that its getting easier nowadays to form a band, get famous for one or two years and went down south afterwards,...

is it just me or it is a fact of life?
    Of course noone plays like them anymore. The guitarists you just mentioned were the start of a breed. What they did was revolutionary and amazing, what we have today is the product of their work. It would be boring if everything had stayed the same, Music evolves. When you say there is no other guitarist who plays as skillfully, I think youre wrong. Jimi Hendrix wasnt actually that skillfull really, especially compared with guitarists now. But it wasnt about that, it was about creating a raw sound that was so against everything that had come before him. The nearest thing before was Buddy Holly. Guitarists such as slash and zac wylde were products of that musical revolution, both of which are technically better than all the guitarists youve mentioned. Then look at the guitarists from bands like Avenged Sevenfold, not necesarily my thing, but still ridiculously skilled. I do love 60/70s rock though, such a good sound.
    xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pheylan)
    they've got one coming out this year
    Perhaps, I've heard nothing about it though which goes to show how relevant it is. Oasis had several albums out after Be Here Now and they were all completely terrible, each one of them was a disaster, so the fact that Radiohead has an upcoming album is important, but can the quality of this new album really match their best album(what ever it may be)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stalin)
    In that case prove me wrong, which band from the 2000 era could the world look back on in 30 years time and say they're up there with The Rolling Stones, U2 etc?
    U2 are so bad. and I dont think the question was whether there are better bands or songsmiths than the one the op mentioned, just better guitarists...which there definitely are x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelkin)
    But you're only referring to electric guitar music, aren't you? There are many highly talented piano-based and acoustic guitar-based singer songwriters out there.
    I'm referring to music in general. Rock, pop and hip hop have all declined due to the ridiculous amount of money involved nowadays, and instead of how good you are, who you know is far more important.

I'm sure there are talented piano based songwriters out there, but apart from Elton John and Bernie Taupin who else is there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joseph1991)
    U2 are so bad. and I dont think the question was whether there are better bands or songsmiths than the one the op mentioned, just better guitarists...which there definitely are x
    How are U2 so bad? They've been arguably the biggest band in the world for the last 20 odd years.

As for guitarists, I'm sure there are some very skilled guitarists nowadays, perhaps even better than Clapton and Hendrix, however in today's music not many of the guitarists have the same edge as the people you've mentioned. Guitar came first before anything for Hendrix, can the same be said about today's crowd? Are they showing the same passion that Angus Young delivers in any concert he plays in? What about the coolness that Huey Lewis and The News had and still have?

Today's musicians need to step it up a notch, it's as simple as that.

ReputationRep:
    I'm referring to music in general. Rock, pop and hip hop have all declined due to the ridiculous amount of money involved nowadays, and instead of how good you are, who you know is far more important.

I'm sure there are talented piano based songwriters out there, but apart from Elton John and Bernie Taupin who else is there?
    Rufus Wainwright is my favourite. He is classically very talented on the piano and draws from a range of genres of music for his own ideas. He may not be everyone's cup of tea, but he is still phenomenally talented. He even wrote and put on an opera - it has had mixed reviews, but many thought it showed excellent promise (especially for a first try).

Not to mention Ben Folds, Tori Amos, Elvis Costello, Amanda Palmer and perhaps Fiona Apple.

I don't think you're referring to music in general, I think you're referring to popular music - in which case I would agree with you on the whole.

ReputationRep:
    What? I'm going on the original post that says there are no skillful musicians anymore and that you're claiming there are no worthwhile artists as of 2000.

I don't hold being really popular in the same regard as you apparently do, I mean... Randy Holden; around the same time (possibly earlier?) than Hendrix, very innovative and influential, largely forgotten now. So he doesn't count for **** because everyone was obsessed with Hendrix and Clapton?

You said something along the lines of people with real taste not listening to new music, I'd argue people with real taste don't just sit and listen to what's in the charts - they explore music more deeply. Do this and you'll see that from basically any era, including 2000 onwards, there are brilliant musicians.

ReputationRep:
    if you have a look at some fingerstyle guitarists.. they may not be the smae genre as handrix but there's no denying they're amazing..

and like everyone has said, you have to look beyond popular music.

i mean, have a look at this guy: http://www.youtube.com/user/jwcfree?.../0/HDkBNNuAsKY

he's amzing and he's still so young!!

ReputationRep:
    How are U2 so bad? They've been arguably the biggest band in the world for the last 20 odd years.
    How is Britney Spears so bad? She's been arguably the biggest pop star of the 90s.

ReputationRep:

As for guitarists, I'm sure there are some very skilled guitarists nowadays, perhaps even better than Clapton and Hendrix, however in today's music not many of the guitarists have the same edge as the people you've mentioned. Guitar came first before anything for Hendrix, can the same be said about today's crowd? Are they showing the same passion that Angus Young delivers in any concert he plays in? What about the coolness that Huey Lewis and The News had and still have?

I completely agree with everytihng you just said, apart from the U2 bit. Look at my previous longer post, the one before i quoted you x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelkin)
    It's actually the first movement :p: (The second movement is kind of dull. The third movement is the best though, you should check it out.) You make a really good point though - some of Mozart's music is really simple too but it's still considered excellent. I once played this piece in a concert at my school, and I chose it because it's really easy - but it doesn't mean it's no good.
    Oh yeah, my bad... i mixed it up with the pathetique sonata which has that lovely middle movement! What standardish is the last movement of the moonlight sonata? I'm a fairly shoddy pianist... the perils of starting late and with little practice because i had 3 other instruments to practice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saucy_little_thing)
    Or Eric Clapton, or Paul Gibson, or Nuno Bettencourt, or Van Hallen ... or anyother virtuosi who plays guitar skillfuly,...

i get the feeling that its getting easier nowadays to form a band, get famous for one or two years and went down south afterwards,...

is it just me or it is a fact of life?
    Ahem

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimi_He...graphy#Singles

Look beyond the charts! Hendrix, although a legend, didn't even make the charts with some of his best songs.

ReputationRep:
    Oh and a general note. The thing with music from a long time ago is that only the good music is remembered 20/30 years later, there was still all the **** around like we've got now. I'm sure that in 30 years when people are talking about music from now they won't remember bands like the kooks who came along for a few albums and then dissapeared. That's why comparing older music to music from this period is a bit futile becuase we don't really know which bands will be big and remembered for having great music. Who knows what great albums will come out of the wash soon?

ReputationRep:

There is obviously going to be bigger bands 10 years ago because the internet wasn't so prevalent and we didn't have so much choice. Nowadays theres a genre for everyones taste and we can pick very specifically the music we like and listen too. We aren't forced to listen to whatever the radio plays.

I find people being music snobs just ridiculous. Someone else is probably looking at the bands you like and are naming and is just thinking "that stuff is so lame". Everything is a personal taste and you'll find passion in any genre.

Heres random favourites of mine off youtube x

ReputationRep:

"Easily the best thing since Tchaikovsky" ...

ReputationRep:
    I dont believe in charts love,...its about the skills,..charts is about money,..in some xtent,..good skills will lead to charts, but many good talented musicians (guitarists) do not give a damn about it,..

dedication on what they do the best,..

ReputationRep:
    Technical capability =/= compositional skill. Music has moved on from a means to exhibit technical prowess and people have begun to realise the content of their music matters much more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hothedgehog)
    Oh yeah, my bad... i mixed it up with the pathetique sonata which has that lovely middle movement! What standardish is the last movement of the moonlight sonata? I'm a fairly shoddy pianist... the perils of starting late and with little practice because i had 3 other instruments to practice!
    It's incredibly difficult Performance Diploma standard, maybe? After my grade eight I was looking into the diploma pieces and the whole of the MS was there so I tried to start playing it ... but I realised quickly I was not good enough. :emo: I'm a bit shoddy too to be honest, my articulation is terrible. So if you're better at that than me then maybe you'd be able to handle it?

Sonata Pathetique is another of my favourite pieces of music ever - all three movements

ReputationRep:
    I've not heard anything in today's music comes remotely close to any of the great bands, it's tragic really, perhaps the only band that's rattled the cage so far has been Airbourne, but even they're simply a gimmick.
    You tried "The Answer"?

Airbourne are funny as owt, their lead singer is a real douche!

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.