Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Nobody plays guitar like Jimi Hendrix anymore.. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm assuming we're talking about popular music right? Tons of excellent guitar players exist in metal and other genres

Music is still innovating - you just have to look in the right places (hi2u meshuggah)

ReputationRep:
    The Grindcore genre has some of the best technical muscians out there...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelkin)
    It's incredibly difficult Performance Diploma standard, maybe? After my grade eight I was looking into the diploma pieces and the whole of the MS was there so I tried to start playing it ... but I realised quickly I was not good enough. :emo: I'm a bit shoddy too to be honest, my articulation is terrible. So if you're better at that than me then maybe you'd be able to handle it?

Sonata Pathetique is another of my favourite pieces of music ever - all three movements
    No hope then, i'm probably sitting at around grade 6/7 on piano. If only it were on the clarinet then it'd be fine! I'll get around to learning the pathetique sooner or later, it's probably the best piano sonata i can think of!

ReputationRep:
    I for one am happy that people aren't making music like Eric Clapton anymore. Im not sure how related it is, but there is a definate movement in what people regard as the best from the 60s and 70s, away from people like Clapton, bands like Pink Floyd, albums like Sgt. Peppers, and to a certain extent Hendrix. Will people like these be as highly revered as they are now, in 50 years? I'm quite doubtful judging from the decline in the last 5 or 10 years.

If everyone was playing guitar like Hendrix or Clapton music today would be very boring, and anyway, people may well be, but we dont hear about it anymore because its not revolutionary now, its already been done. Surely music should be going forwards, not backwards?

ReputationRep:
    Surely music should be going forwards, not backwards?
    Define forwards then... if 20 years ago people have already "invented" a new way to play instrument, guitars in this matter,..i dont see todays is a reflection of what could be the better age.. "Better"... as in, at least for me..means.. improvement,...as far as i know, what happen now,..is backwards..

If we are talking about modernism as in simplicity, repetition, and other means of justification to make money without skills, then i'll be damned...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saucy_little_thing)
    Define forwards then... if 20 years ago people have already "invented" a new way to play instrument, guitars in this matter,..i dont see todays is a reflection of what could be the better age.. "Better"... as in, at least for me..means.. improvement,...as far as i know, what happen now,..is backwards..

If we are talking about modernism as in simplicity, repetition, and other means of justification to make money without skills, then i'll be damned...
    I mean forwards as in a broadening of the types of music being made. Why would you want to listen to people playing the guitar like Hendrix, when you could just throw on a Hendrix record and listen to the real thing? Back in the 60s and 70s the charts were full of as much crap as they are now (much of it a lot worse than anything now), but that stuff gets forgotten, and the innovative, good stuff gets remembered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Who2004uk)
    The Grindcore genre has some of the best technical muscians out there...

wat? ;p

ReputationRep:
    Yeah man, everyone knows metallers are the most technically advanced species.

ReputationRep:
    It's such a shame that Sikth aren't around any more. :sad:

ReputationRep:
    Meh... They were boring. Dimebag (R.I.P.), Zakk Wylde (he likes to add a lot of unnecessary **** though), King & Hanneman, Morello, and so on. That's what I called playing guitar dammit. :thrasher:

ReputationRep:
    What about Matt Bellamy of Muse? He can make his guitar make some strange noises.

I do agree with it being all about repetitive shredding today which gets a little boring after a while,especially with bands such as, *ahem* Trivium...

ReputationRep:
    Or Eric Clapton, or Paul Gibson, or Nuno Bettencourt, or Van Hallen ... or anyother virtuosi who plays guitar skillfuly,...

i get the feeling that its getting easier nowadays to form a band, get famous for one or two years and went down south afterwards,...

is it just me or it is a fact of life?
    that's just the way music's gone i think, there are some good bands out there now i think, ones i like anyway, but when you're talking about legends like that they don't come around that often, and i also think it defines the music business nowadays that bands don't last as long as they used to, like i can't really think of many people nowadays who are still gonna be being talking about in 40 years time - but all the old music's still there - i just live in the past when it comes to music

ReputationRep:
    Omar Rodriguez-Lopez

</thread>

Seriously though, there's hundreds of awesome musicians in modern music, you just won't hear them on the radio.

The Mars Volta
    Porcupine Tree
    Dream Theater
    Opeth

ReputationRep:
    Although Jimi Hendrix was a fantastic guitarist and all-time legend, there have been other guitarists since who have taken guitar to another level.

Some virtuosos for you to check out include: -

Steve Vai
    Joe Satriani
    Eric Johnson
    John McLaughlin
    Greg Howe
    Ritchie Kotzen
    Bryan Baker
    Buckethead
    Guthrie Govan
    Sean Baxter
    Allan Holdsworth etc

Remember - search outside of the mainstream and you will find an array of glorious guitar players that are held in high esteem in the guitar playing world. The ones that you listed are mostly mainstream players.

The guys I have listed (especially players like Govan, Holdsworth, Vai, and McLaughlin) have taken guitar to a much higher level than Hendrix was able to achieve in his tragically short lifetime.

Happy listening!

ReputationRep:
    im a big fan of these lot:

Steve Vai
    Joe Satriani

hmm i get the feeling that i am the only chick here who likes rock music... lol,...

ReputationRep:
    Nah, you're not the only 'chick' who likes rock music! I've always listening to rock/metal and blues.

I think the key is to look in areas OFF the charts/popular music.

I've been into blues since I was a young child and there are many many many amazing guitarists out there, you just gotta know where to look. I find there are lots of music forums out there that will give you a good clue about more underground, less establish guitarists out there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sir_Vile_Minds)
    What about Matt Bellamy of Muse? He can make his guitar make some strange noises.
    No just no

I know :sad: Jimi Hendrix is a legend when it comes to the guitar

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    You tried "The Answer"?

Airbourne are funny as owt, their lead singer is a real douche!
    Airbourne are supposed to be awesome live, i'm going to seem them in March!

Bands today are great and so is music. it's only the mainstream which is a tad crap. People don't realise it but so many elitists strike off modern music as crap even huge genres like DnB i have heard called crap which is similar to calling Rock crap.

Sure Floyd and Zeppelin are my favourite bands with Air (a relatively modern band) and Daft Punk (same time as Air really they came abouts). Big guitar solos were never bettered and the whole genre peaked in the 70s. Bands like The Answer and Airbourne are very good but struggle like any other modern band trying to shape 70s rock as it is so damn hard nigh on impossible to beat. And there is so much of it. You don't need much stuff that sound like it today as there is so much you can backtrack on from that period. So you look at different rock genres cut from it today. Some great bands. To name a few; The Shins, Radiohead, Animal Collective, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, TV On The Radio. They just are different in what they do.

ReputationRep:
    Or Eric Clapton, or Paul Gibson, or Nuno Bettencourt, or Van Hallen ... or anyother virtuosi who plays guitar skillfuly,...

i get the feeling that its getting easier nowadays to form a band, get famous for one or two years and went down south afterwards,...

is it just me or it is a fact of life?
    no it's just you.

Jason Becker

DAVE MOTHERFUGGIN MUSTAINE =]

Dimebag Darrell (R.I.P)

Marty Friedman

Yngwie Malmsteen

Corey Beaulieu

Chris Broderick

Shannon Hamm

Just a few peple who rawly rock my world

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 13, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.