Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Nobody plays guitar like Jimi Hendrix anymore.. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Maybe if you listened some metal or somesuch, then you'd realised there's plenty of decent guitarring (I hate how that isn't a word) knocking around.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Vernon Reid Guys, Vernon Reid =]

ReputationRep:

There are still talented guitarists around.

Joe Satriani for a start...

Although a completely different style :unsure:

ReputationRep:
    Who listens to them though? I don't.

Music moves with the times, if that means the level of skill changes then so be it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathew551)

Music moves with the times, if that means the level of skill changes then so be it.
    Dude, any real music fan knows them:rolleyes:

its not wise to underestimate artists just because they aren't in the UK Top 20 :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YannTouchable)

its not wise to underestimate artists just because they aren't in the UK Top 20 :o:
    I didn't underestimate them, and the music I listen to is hardly ever in the Top 20 UK chart.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathew551)

Loads of people still do. It still sounds ******* awesome. I listen to a lot of modern music but the 60s and 70s guitar is still sounds phenomenal as it was then.

ReputationRep:
    There are many great guitarists around. Just not so many new ones eg

James Dean Bradfield of the Manics

Graham Coxon (also especially in Popscene by Blur )

Bernard Butler from Suede

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benmh92)
    Airbourne are supposed to be awesome live, i'm going to seem them in March!
    Oh, they are. They're really good actually. You will think their singer is a douche at the end. He's funny!

Of the recent rock bands I've seen (Airbourne, The Answer and Black Stone Cherry), BSC were by far the best live, which really surprised me.

ReputationRep:
    if that means the level of skill changes then so be it.
    OMG, you didnt mean it do you...

ReputationRep:
    Luls, this is still going.

I mean, seriously, the very premise of this thread is silly. ;p

ReputationRep:
    freedom of speech mate

ReputationRep:
    Hendrix transcends genre and lays the foundation for pretty much all the rock genres which followed

of course nobody plays like he did!

ReputationRep:
    Muh music is not a form of science. Music is not a competition, there is no "best guitarist". Playing guitar is simply a way of expressing emotion through sound. its not about how many notes you can play a second. Yes Jimi Hendrix wrote some good music but it doesn't mean you have to compare him to every other artist since like its some kind of competition.

There is still thousands of amazing artists around if you actually look outside the top 40.

If you only listen to music for guitar solos you must have such a closed mind when it comes to listening to music that you might as well just go and buy world of warcraft while injecting heroin into your anus because every song you will ever enjoy will be almost the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by White Noise)
    Muh music is not a form of science. Music is not a competition, there is no "best guitarist". Playing guitar is simply a way of expressing emotion through sound. its not about how many notes you can play a second. Yes Jimi Hendrix wrote some good music but it doesn't mean you have to compare him to every other artist since like its some kind of competition.

There is still thousands of amazing artists around if you actually look outside the top 40.

If you only listen to music for guitar solos you must have such a closed mind when it comes to listening to music that you might as well just go and buy world of warcraft while injecting heroin into your anus because every song you will ever enjoy will be almost the same.
    LOOOL! :grin:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -aimz)
    There are many great guitarists around. Just not so many new ones eg

James Dean Bradfield of the Manics

Graham Coxon (also especially in Popscene by Blur )

Bernard Butler from Suede

Very underrated guitarists, but I wouldn't put any of them on Hendrix's level personally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HighestKungFu)
    Although Jimi Hendrix was a fantastic guitarist and all-time legend, there have been other guitarists since who have taken guitar to another level.

Some virtuosos for you to check out include: -

Steve Vai
    Joe Satriani
    Eric Johnson
    John McLaughlin
    Greg Howe
    Ritchie Kotzen
    Bryan Baker
    Buckethead
    Guthrie Govan
    Sean Baxter
    Allan Holdsworth etc

Remember - search outside of the mainstream and you will find an array of glorious guitar players that are held in high esteem in the guitar playing world. The ones that you listed are mostly mainstream players.

The guys I have listed (especially players like Govan, Holdsworth, Vai, and McLaughlin) have taken guitar to a much higher level than Hendrix was able to achieve in his tragically short lifetime.

Happy listening!
    This, basically.

ReputationRep:
    thank god they dont. fret ******* of the worst kind

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YannTouchable)
    "Real" music fan, heh.

Jeff Beck is still making his guitar scream, and he was around before Hendrix.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 13, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.