Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
    - Winston Churchill

Do you agree/believe in this quote? Personally, I think it's great and holds much truth.

ReputationRep:
    I do thinks its true to a certain extent.
    However if you have too many enemies it could just be because you are annoying.

ReputationRep:
    Not really true these days is it?

These days you don't really have enemies as if your something straight out of a comic book. You have opponents yes, opposition yes, but enemies implies you hate each other. You may respect each other but you want to see each other destroyed and done for.

I very much doubt that many people has enemies in that context these days.

These days if you stand up for yourself and become outspoken the most you will get is opposition.

ReputationRep:
    No, wrong context. There's people I dislike/dislike me, but I don't hate them and vice versa.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, i pull their chair back just before they are going to sit down.

ReputationRep:
    Enemies? That's a bit of a strong word

However, I do have people that don't like me just because I'm a bit of a ******** to them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by explosions hurt)
    Yeah, i pull their chair back just before they are going to sit down.
    I did that in year 2, and the guy hit his head on the wall really hard, and I got caned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maxfire)
    I did that in year 2, and the guy hit his head on the wall really hard, and I got caned.
    You totally owned him.

ReputationRep:
    hhmm its actually a quote that has to be well thought about and debated over.. its has its yes' and no's i say..

ReputationRep:
    ttly pwn3d dat mofo :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I think it's largely true. Then again I dislike most people...

ReputationRep:
    Everybody has enemies. Who really likes everybody in life? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    The problem with having enemies is that you have to devote a lot of time to being bothered enough to hate them. Hating people and making enemies require too much energy, and since I'm a lazy sort of girl the best I can manage is mild dislike.

ReputationRep:
    "Enemies" is a bit of a harsh word, but when you're popular/famous and many people know you, chances are higher that some of them won't like you. Teachers have enemies - I wouldn't really use that quote on them.

I'm sure there are people who aren't particularly fond of me but then again I wish everyone would just get along with each other

ReputationRep:
    I have enemies. But then again I'm not very nice :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    Closest would be the flatmate. And the majority of the arguments are because he's elbowed me in public and muttered 'Look at those poofters/bet they're on benefits/eurgh, bloody French' etc, so I suppose in that respect I was standing up for those people? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    zzzzz

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I have Enemies at the Gates. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrvn)
    Enemies at the Gates
    is that the sequel?

ReputationRep:
    i don't agree with the Churchill quote.

Human behaviour is complex, and anybody can dislike, even hate, anybody else for any reason. It doesn't even have to be if person A has wronged person B, or person A has done something to intentionally offend person B.

Take, for example, a BNP member. S/he probably would take an instant dislike for a non-white, if if that non-white was a good/nice person, and hadn't caused them any harm.

Look at the different prejudices people have - sexism, homophobia, classism, anti-fat people opinions, etc. Not all women have hurt men, not all gays have hurt straights, not all working class persons/chavs have hurt upper class people, and not all fat people have hurt slim persons. More often than not, people have these feelings because they can, and not because they have been hurt/intentionally offended by these people (well most of the time, perhaps). :yep:

I think avoiding making enemies, in some sense, is not possible, even if a person is generally nice/welcoming to others. No matter what you do, or who you are, somebody out there would not take a shine to you. It's part of our human condition. :yep:

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.