Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

I'd like to work in IB but I couldn't get an internship in this division (I think mostly due to the fact my school is not a target school at all and my lack of experience: 0 work experience!).

Though I got two offers from a prestigious but in bad shape UK bank in corporate banking and a very prestigious US bank in wealth management. I don't know which offer I should accept. What would look better one my resume for IB recruiters next year? If I accept these offers will I have any chance to go to IB or will I be stuck?

I really really loved the people from the UK bank but isn't wealth management more market related so more relevant to IB?

I don't know what to do and I don't want to make a mistake. Thanks for your help.

ReputationRep:
    None of them will look awesome. But personally, I'd rather do wealth management at a very prestigious US bank than corporate banking at a bad shape UK bank

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uthinkilltellu)
    None of them will look awesome. But personally, I'd rather do wealth management at a very prestigious US bank than corporate banking at a bad shape UK bank
    Why, if I may ask, do you think that an experience in the corporate banking industry would not look valuable if you would like to work later in the IB?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cruel3a)
    Why, if I may ask, do you think that an experience in the corporate banking industry would not look valuable if you would like to work later in the IB?
    As I've said, none of them are awesome. Just that wealth management in a top US bank (I'm guessing MSSB) is much better than corporate banking in a poor UK bank (I'm guessing Lloyds). Also, I find PWM, as a job, to be more prestigious than corporate banking.

ReputationRep:
    Seeing as though you're not from a target uni a BB on your CV will help you get more interviews next year in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Also, I find PWM, as a job, to be more prestigious than corporate banking.
    how so?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LETUDIANT)
    how so?
    Personal opinion.

ReputationRep:
    I would also go with Wealth Management from a prestigous US bank then a UK Corporate Banking job. Definitely the wealth job has more prestige. Could possibly land you into a British Wealth Bank in the future too. Corp banking is good experience but won't look as good as wealth management will.

ReputationRep:
    OK! Seems that everyone thinks wealth management is over corporate banking. I have a few more IB applications in the pipes (but without much hope) but I guess at the end I'll choose wealth management. I'll just try IBD next year - hope my CV will look better.

ReputationRep:
    When you say 'corporate banking' do you mean like halifax, lloyds, hsbc etc?

Or, do you mean the corporate broking area of investment banking?

ReputationRep:
    I mean UK corporate banking RBS

ReputationRep:
    As in Hoare Govett (i.e. corporate broking) or the high street stuff?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PorterhouseBlue)
    As in Hoare Govett (i.e. corporate broking) or the high street stuff?
    How many times do you have to ask the same question? It's corporate banking, as in high street corporate banking.

ReputationRep:
    This isn't even a decision, PWM with MS over Corporate Banking with RBS every time! PWM is incredibly well respected, as much as IBD imo where as coporate banking is more like the equivalent of mo/bo in an ib........

ReputationRep:
    How many times do you have to ask the same question? It's corporate banking, as in high street corporate banking.
    I asking in case he wasn't entirely clear. The gulf between high street banking and pwm is so big that I thought he may have been mistaken. I think you need to relax, click log-off and leave your pit.

ReputationRep:
    I asking in case he wasn't entirely clear. The gulf between high street banking and pwm is so big that I thought he may have been mistaken. I think you need to relax, click log-off and leave your pit.
    He got an offer there, I don't think he was mistaken. It was cristal clear in the thread title and there was no need to ask it three times. If we are in the process of giving out advice, then may I suggest you stop being so insolent.

ReputationRep:
    Relax man. Use all that energy to work on your grasp of the English language.

ReputationRep:
    Relax man. Use all that energy to work on your grasp of the English language.
    As in Englsih corporate broking, or as in English high street stuff? Just wondering in case you are mistaken.

ReputationRep:
    As I said, given the gulf in prestige/quality between the two I thought he might have been mistaken. I was just trying to help. Stop jumping on peoples backs on the internet. And when trying to make a sarcastic comment about language, it might help to spell English properly and btw it's Crystal...

ReputationRep:
    As I said, given the gulf in prestige/quality between the two I thought he might have been mistaken. I was just trying to help. Stop jumping on peoples backs on the internet. And when trying to make a sarcastic comment about language, it might help to spell English properly and btw it's Crystal...
    He was talkin bout Cristal, FOOL!

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.