Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Basically im predicted brill A-level grades A*A*AA but my GCSE's are not very good and will certainly become my reason for rejection. so im taking a year out to redo them and make sure i get loads of A*'s . I was just thinking will the medical schools have an issue with the fact that i've RETAKEN them?

(Original post by studentjohn)
    Basically im predicted brill A-level grades A*A*AA but my GCSE's are not very good and will certainly become my reason for rejection. so im taking a year out to redo them and make sure i get loads of A*'s . I was just thinking will the medical schools have an issue with the fact that i've RETAKEN them?
    I am pretty sure that medical schools will not count resits at GCSE.

Why not just apply to schools that don't put so much emphasis on GCSE's?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think they'll have an issue with you retaking them, but is it really worth an additional year?
    If you choose your universities wisely, you should be fine. Only a few place a big emphasis on GCSEs.
    However, if you don't meet the minimum requirements in English, maths and science, it may be worth doing the main ones again.

ReputationRep:
    if you retake GCSEs it may degrade your application.

i was going to do this and when i emailed the med schools and most schools said
    'if you retake more than one GCSE and do not have extentuating circumstances/reasons for doing so, then you are classed as an exam retaker and therefore it will lower the value of your application'
    my advice is apply to unis that dont look too much at GCSEs. DO NOT retake (or at least be very carful where you apply if you do)

the problem i found was that i wanted to apply to newcastle (and could with my current grades) however if i retook more than one GCSE no matter what UKCAT score i got newastle admissions told me that i would be automatically rejeted me.
    so my plan to retake GCSEs so i could apply to places like birmingham ment that i automatically would be rejeted from newcastle. plus birmingham said that they need extentuating reasons for my GCSE retakes for the new results to be valid. so technically by retaking (with out a good excuse - eg illness) i (and OP) would be in worse postion.

you best bet is to contact the unis before you retake anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ballerinabetty)
    if you retake GCSEs it may degrade your application.

i was going to do this and when i emailed the med schools and most schools said

my advice is apply to unis that dont look too much at GCSEs. DO NOT retake (or at least be very carful where you apply if you do)

the problem i found was that i wanted to apply to newcastle (and could with my current grades) however if i retook more than one GCSE no matter what UKCAT score i got newastle admissions told me that i would be automatically rejeted me.
    so my plan to retake GCSEs so i could apply to places like birmingham ment that i automatically would be rejeted from newcastle. plus birmingham said that they need extentuating reasons for my GCSE retakes for the new results to be valid. so technically by retaking (with out a good excuse - eg illness) i (and OP) would be in worse postion.

you best bet is to contact the unis before you retake anything.
    why do they have a problem with people retaking exams? :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spinnerette)
    i would guess because the competion is so tight it helps narrow down the field. i dont agree with it, but of course i wouldnt. it is just the way it is unfortunatly. medicine admissions is unfair in so many ways.

OP what i said was for most schools. i did not email oxford, cambridge, imperial and edinbough so i dont know what they think but all of the other schoole were really not interested. however admissions criteria change every year and i dont know your exact result or anything so i do suggest you email the schools you are interested in and ask them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spinnerette)
    Because when they have hundred or thousands of people who got an A* first time for only a few hundred place, they don't have time to consider all the people who had to take the exam again. It's just competition is too fierce, some uni's won't consider people who retake A-levels, let alone GCSE's!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krisblade)
    Because when they have hundred or thousands of people who got an A* first time for only a few hundred place, they don't have time to consider all the people who had to take the exam again. It's just competition is too fierce, some uni's won't consider people who retake A-levels, let alone GCSE's!
    hey totally off subject, but can i ask what you did to get 770 in ukcat? any books/ websites you use? thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ballerinabetty)
    hey totally off subject, but can i ask what you did to get 770 in ukcat? any books/ websites you use? thanks
    I bought the "Passing the UKCAT and BMAT" book and read it the day before. You can't really revise for it, but its good to know the layout/format so you can just concentrate on the answering on the day!

It helped to learn the kind of things that can be different between set A and B in the AR section, it made that section a breeze! I can't really think of anything else that's helpful though =/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krisblade)
    I bought the "Passing the UKCAT and BMAT" book and read it the day before. You can't really revise for it, but its good to know the layout/format so you can just concentrate on the answering on the day!

It helped to learn the kind of things that can be different between set A and B in the AR section, it made that section a breeze! I can't really think of anything else that's helpful though =/
    thnks for that

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 7, 2010

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.