Turn on thread page Beta

A third of Britons think Peter Griffin from Family Guy is the leader of the BNP watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    Somewhat worrying that people think the BNP is headed by a cartoon...
    No they do not. They are clearly now aware that Peter Griffin is a cartoon character. They might be faintly aware of it (what with Family Guy being a popular piece of popular culture) and, knowing the leader of the BNP is called Griffin, put the two together. Or, as I said, just coincidence. People can't remember his forname so guess (Peter being a fairly popular forename).

It's not the same as thinking the BNP is headed by a cartoon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    No they do not. They are clearly now aware that Peter Griffin is a cartoon character. They might be faintly aware of it (what with Family Guy being a popular piece of popular culture) and, knowing the leader of the BNP is called Griffin, put the two together. Or, as I said, just coincidence. People can't remember his forname so guess (Peter being a fairly popular forename).

It's not the same as thinking the BNP is headed by a cartoon.
    Without resorting to calling you foolish or any related word, I just wish to point out that that comment was not meant seriously but meant entirely as a joke.

I thought it was pretty obvious, but apparently it escapes some people.
    In future I will make it clear by using the following before I write a joke (joke:)

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Its just that they associated Peter's name with Griffin's surname. I honestly do not know anyone with the surname Griffin and I genuinely used Peter's name by accident to the amusement of my friends..just the once (I think)

I do not think a cartoon is heading the BNP, simply that I associated the name with the man. Peter Griffin (family guy) would be a much better political leader than that scumbag!!!!

ReputationRep:
    A third of Britons think Peter Griffin from Family Guy is the leader of the BNP

A third of Britons believe Peter Griffin, the character from Family Guy, is the leader of the British National Party, a study has found.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...f-the-BNP.html

Somewhat worrying that people think the BNP is headed by a cartoon...
    People know their priorities... Who cares about the people that govern the country, if I can know what moron is marrying Katie the cheap tart.
    Who did they ask? Six year olds?

Anyone with half a brain cell knows that Peter Griffon is smarter than his retarded cousin Nick..

ReputationRep:
    It was only 1500 people, by no means a representative sample of the 50'000'000 people who live in Britain.

ReputationRep:
    @OP

... And 495% of statistics are made up on the spot.

Also, yes, Katie is a cheap tart.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paella)
    It was only 1500 people, by no means a representative sample of the 50'000'000 people who live in Britain.
    1500 is a representative sample. In polls, increasing the sample size much more than that will not give you significantly more accurate results.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paella)
    Try 61mil/62mil population.

ReputationRep:
    I lol'ed

ReputationRep:
    Who cares about the people that govern the country.
    BNP will never govern the country.

The fact that people are confused as to who runs this extreme right-wing party is testament to this.

ReputationRep:
    The survey, by the money-saving website MyVoucherCodes....
    I'm willing to bet that at least 30-40% of the people who use this website are complete idiots anyway, so the survey was not in fact a fair one.
    Hardly a random sample, I think.

But still...the fact that some people are that ignorant is alarming.

I'm willing to bet that the survey was stupidly made, as well.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, to be fair, it's not like they looked at a picture of peter griffin and thought that that was the leader of the BNP. It was just that they saw the name Griffin, and couldn't remember his first name. I expect half the people that they asked didn't even know that Peter Griffin is a cartoon character! It only sounds idiotic to people who know who peter griffin is!

ReputationRep:
    :mmm:haha

ReputationRep:
    Why can't there be a voting test that you have to pass in order to be able to vote? Something similar to the driving test.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I think the BNP should cash in on that. I mean, if peter Griffin really was the BNP leader, the the torries would need bloody darth vadar to get my vote back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by humz2)
    :facepalm:

nvm
    I got what your point

ReputationRep:
    What a relief , they've affirmed my suspicions behind the psyche of the British people.

ReputationRep:
    LOL it's an easy mistake to make tbh. Peter/Nick both pretty normal, common names. It's not like they genuinely can't tell the difference between the leader of the BNP and a cartoon character...

ReputationRep:
    Considering 1,498 people took part in the study, and it was hosted by a voucher website, it's a bit ridiculous to say a third of all Britons.

You've got to wonder whether this website merely attracts an unfortunately large number of plebs.

In any case, to take one example 'Griffin' is the name that would stick in people's minds. Not necessarily Nick, so it's a little bit understandable they might have not known the actual name.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.