Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How long would it take you to move in with someone? watch

Announcements

Hi... I'm just wanting advice from guys and girls really..

How long would it take you to move in with someone once you are together? I don't mean buy a house for the rest of your lives, i just mean renting, for example.

Also, guys, if you were going out with a girl for 5 months and her flatmate ditched her to move home and she was totally stuck, would you move in to help her with the rent etc?

Thanks for any advice!

ReputationRep:
    More than a year.

ReputationRep:
    I was dating my bf for 2months when we moved in together...
    But then again we'd known eachother for like 5/6 years by then~

ReputationRep:
    Of course move in if she needs rent help and there's no one else, it'll only be a big deal if you both make it one.

ReputationRep:
    I would probably wait at least a year. What if you move in to help her out, and then it all goes wrong and you have to move out? She's stuck again. It's a nice thought, but you'll have to have a serious chat about whether you think you're both ready to move in together.

ReputationRep:
    I have been goingout with my boyfriend for six months and from June we will be living in the same house. We decided it would actually be healthier this way since we spend no time apart pretty much and I live in his room pretty much anyway, so having my own room would be better. When we actually move in together we will have been going out 10 months.

ReputationRep:
    Over a year - you don't know eachother well enough at 5 months to move in together (unless you've been friends for years before hand) And remember once you move in together things get really serious, and the lovey duvey romance does stop - you have to split rent, and bills, and cleaning duties - you'll see all his bad habits, and he'll see yours.. its a massive step

ReputationRep:
    I've been with my boyfriend for 2 years, and I still wouldnt feel comfortable trying to live with him yet. I guess it really depends on how ready you feel with that sort of commitment.

ReputationRep:
    A year, at least.

I started living with my current boyfriend at 10?ish months but that was because we were renting out in the second year, and it was with 2 other people so the whole situation is more like 4 friends house-sharing than a couple.

ReputationRep:
    I was in a LDR for two years before I moved in with him.

ReputationRep:
    By the time me and my boyfriend move in together, we will have been together for 4 1/2 years think that's about right!

Tbh it depends on your age, maturity, circumstances and the couple themselves. xx

ReputationRep:
    At least 18months, a year may sound fine, but it's still in the honeymoon phase

ReputationRep:
    I moved in with my boyfriend after 9 months, but we had known each other for almost 10 years before that... The timing was just right - I was graduating and had a job to start in London and his lease was up.

However saying that it depends on how old you are as well I think. I wouldn't have done the same when I was 18. Living together is still a big step and I wouldn't have done it if I was at all unsure that we would stay together forever.

Moving in to solve a rent problem, if that's the only reason, would concern me a bit... If you really want to anyway and you'd been discussing it as an option separately then maybe but otherwise it might be jumping the gun.

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite surprised by the number of people who've said 'over a year'.
    No reason why, I just hadn't thought people actually put limits on it I suppose.

I had been with my boyfriend for five months before we moved in, but it was a sort-of unofficial moving in. We were spending every night together anyway, and my stuff just ended up being more and more in his room until I didn't actually go back to my house.

We're planning to move in together next year, with one of his friends - but we're going for a three-bed house. As much as I love him, I need my own space too once in a while! Especially as we'll both have university work to do. We've been going out for twenty months now.

ReputationRep:
    Depends how well I actually knew them beforehand. If it was a brand new guy then probably around a year, but potentially less if we already knew each other well before we got together.

I don't think there's a 'correct' time period to wait - just when it feels right. For some people it's two months, and for some it's two years! It's definitely a personal thing.

ReputationRep:
    I think I'd be ok with moving in with my boyfriend now, but we've been together over 18 months, and spent large periods of time pretty much living together anyway

ReputationRep:
    If the primary reason is for rent, then don't do it. Do it because it's what you both want, you want to take the next step, and you love each other.

As for me, over a year, probably over two or three. If both mine and my boyfriend's lives go to plan, and we are still together (which I'm not even thinking about :rolleyes:), I'd probably consider it in my third year at uni, so after three years together, and even then, that's pushing it.
    I do like my own space

ReputationRep:
    was about 18 months before me and my bf moved in together, dont think i could do it earlier than that cause we were still getting to know each other

ReputationRep:
    We moved in together after about 7 months. Knew it was right and wouldn't have changed it at all. I agree with whoever mentioned about age as well. Wouldn't have moved in that fast at 18/19/20.

ReputationRep:
    Usually I would say a year but I've been with my gf a whole 2 months and we are planning to move in together.
    This is only because our contracts run out in june so it makes sense to look for somewhere together plus we practically live together now anyway.

If you have your own seperate rooms then even if it does go tits up you'll still have your own space. I live with 4 other people and barely see them. If it feels right then do it, no point waiting for an arbitary amount of time to pass.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 6, 2010
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.