Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How long would it take you to move in with someone? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Also, guys, if you were going out with a girl for 5 months and her flatmate ditched her to move home and she was totally stuck, would you move in to help her with the rent etc?
    Definately. I moved in with my bf after 4 months or something and we're still together after two years. You can pretty much tell after 5 months if you can stand living with that person.

Worst case scenario: one of you moves out. Big deal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ijustlovetolearn)
    I have no concerns about our relationship so I don't really need to test him. Were always spending nights at each others houses without any problems. Almost half a year now without even a serious bicker. So I don't see the need to rush anything and just enjoy each phase of the relationship as it comes, as you can only have it once.

For me moving in together is a HUGE deal, as you might as well be engaged. I don't think i'd want to be engaged for a long time, maybe after a year of living together. Then get married in that same year. Then wait till 29-31 for children as then you're life as you know it is over .
    I didn't say 'You learn a lot about someone by living with them if you have concerns about them' did I?

You learn a lot about them regardless. Living with someone is a hell of a lot different from spending nights at each other's houses. I'm not saying anything about your relationship, okay? I doubt many people who have lived with their partners would disagree with me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink Bullets)
    I didn't say 'You learn a lot about someone by living with them if you have concerns about them' did I?

You learn a lot about them regardless. Living with someone is a hell of a lot different from spending nights at each other's houses. I'm not saying anything about your relationship, okay? I doubt many people who have lived with their partners would disagree with me.
    Okay no need to go all italic and bold on me. Was just describing why I don't feel the need to rush my relationship seeing as it shocked you so much. I'm just laid back, and not everyone is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meh.)
    Are you both earning about the same amount? Have you seriously talked about marriage, or forever? I admire your trust in each other and your relationship, but honestly for me, unless we were engaged or married, there's no way I'd share all my money with someone. It's too risky, and I don't have a safety net in terms of parents or siblings.

As for the 2 rooms thing. You sleep in the same bed, but may occasionally want to do different stuff, ie. watching different TV shows, napping etc which you don't want the other person to be disturbed by. Essentially, I think a large bedroom with a lounge is sufficient, although bedrooms allow more privacy. I don't think couples who live together think of each bedroom as their own, just one is 'bed'room and one is a spare/study room or something
    Well he works full time and im at uni but get an NHS bursary of £650 a month, so sort of like part-time wage money I guess. Our money comes in at different times of the month so the way we roughly work it is the rent and bills come out just after he gets paid and then my bursary is kind of our 'living' money. but yeah it is serious and we have talked a lot about marriage etc. I suppose for me I wouldn't move in with someone unless I did feel that strongly about them and trust them but yeah i see where you're coming from.

I guess if you're students and/or sharing with other people too having a room each would seem more natural and i do like your idea of sort of both sharing both rooms if you know what i mean. I mean i definitely wouldn't say no to having a second/spare room in our flat if only we could afford it!

Hmmmmm this isn't really helping.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hmmmmm this isn't really helping.
    well what do you want people to say? everyone has given their opinion and basically whatever way you look at it everyone and every relationship is different and at the end of the day you should move in together when you feel ready and secure in your relationship and not before. that length of time is going to be different for everyone.

In your case, people seem to be saying that if the trouble the girl is in with her flatmate and rent etc is the ONLY reason that they would be moving in together then maybe its not the best idea. Living together shouldn't just be used as a solution to a financial situation because it is a big deal. only the two people in the relationship can really say if its right or not.

you havent given us a huge amount of info, does the boyfriend not really want to? or has he not thought about it? is it the girlfriends idea and she's wondering whether to ask the boy? you're being a bit vague and expecting strangers to give you a difinitive answer.

ReputationRep:
    A year, maybe a little less.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blinkbelle)
    Tbh it depends on your age, maturity, circumstances and the couple themselves. xx
    I agree with this :yes:

I don't think anyone can really say unless they've been there themselves, and as blinkbelle says there are far too many other factors to consider so every situation and couple is going to be different.

ReputationRep:
    I moved in with my boyfriend after a year We live in a nice flat together just outside the disgusting university area and its great! We did pretty much live together a year before that... being at one or others houses each night, so it just seemed logical and also great that our clothes/toiletries were finally all in one place and I didnt have to get up early, to go home and get dressed for uni! or remember to take clothes round for the morning! We've lived together for over a year now

I have a friend whoes been with her bf for 5 years and still doesnt live with him, as she sees renting as wasting money ... which i do kinda see, but no matter how much time you spend with someone day to day, i dont think you can ever really no if you'l cope living together until you try it full time (as in, eg. if you have an arguement, you cant just go home, or your bf is always there if you ever want some you time etc) ... so i personally think its probs best for most people to give living together a go before doing anything major like buying a house together!

ReputationRep:
    Every couple is different. I mean, I think it depends on your reasons for doing so, and you & your partner's maturity. I wouldn't recommend moving in purely for monetary reasons, as if it all goes wrong then you're either stuck with an uncomfortable living situation or you'll be placed in the position of bad guy when you jump ship leaving the other person in the lurch, again.
    I pretty much lived with my boyfriend before we started dating (we have a mutual friend that I came to visit and I just didn't leave...). I was supposed to be living with 3 other girls this year, but that went tits up and so I officially moved in with my boyfriend. It was a bit of a risky move, but it's all gone very well as we're now engaged and very happy together

ReputationRep:
    took me 5 and a half years

and whilst its not perfect i do like having her around

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 7, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.