Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    HI, this is my first job and so i dont have any paid work experience, i have done 2 2 week long work experiences. I have tried going on individual companies websites like John Lewis, PC world, etc but they dont seem to have any vacancies. I have also tried the Jobcentre plus website but thats really annoying as they give you a long list of jobs that require previous experience. I have also been on student job websites but they to require some sort of experience.

I really just want to know what i should do to get my very first job i live in London and so there should be opportunities out there. Has anyone got advice for me?

ReputationRep:
    You want a job in a shop? Then go around to shops and ask them if they have any vacancies and give them your CV if they do. Those kinds of jobs are very rarely advertised anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean? do you mean just go in to any shop and ask them if they have a vacancy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mwahaha)
    What do you mean? do you mean just go in to any shop and ask them if they have a vacancy?
    I think that was the general jist...
    :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    I've heard this works (i'm looking for a job) but it's a crap feeling when they say no..rather offputting too. Not the easiest way to get work

ReputationRep:
    try passing your CV onto a recruitment website/ agency. im sure they will find work for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YellowDucksOnBlueSocks)
    I've heard this works (i'm looking for a job) but it's a crap feeling when they say no..rather offputting too. Not the easiest way to get work
    Getting no'es is something you better get used to if you really want a job. If you have no work experience, don't think you will be given opportunities on a silver plate. Get out there and start asking around.

Of course, if you have good contacts, or family/friends with contacts, you _might_ get a job that way, but don't depend on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YellowDucksOnBlueSocks)
    Not the easiest way to get work
    If it was easy you wouldn't get paid for it. You kind of have to expect them to say no, then when someone says yes it's all the nicer.

If you want a job hit the streets and ask anywhere & everywhere- granted some times are better than others, like before Christmas and in summer when shops have huge sales and need more employees. I was in this situation just before Christmas & spent 3 hours walking round Bristol handing out CVs everywhere- even in Game,
    No one's going to come knocking on your door offering you a job, so you have to go knocking on theirs.

ReputationRep:
    i got a job in waitrose though the website, so just keep checking the websites of you local supermarkets and they will come up (especially since were nearing the end of most large companies financial year) you ust have to be patient.

ReputationRep:
    'go around to shops and ask them if they have any vacancies'

Why would I have said it if I didn't mean it?

(Original post by YellowDucksonBlueSocks)
    It's probably the only way you'll get your first job. Like I said, most jobs of the teenager-working-in-a-shop-on-Saturdays variety never get advertised.

ReputationRep:
    ok thanks for the advice, i'll try my hardest. But does it matter if your CV is not that great, my CV is not bad but i've got nothing to compare it to, so i dont know if my CV is too weak and whether this would seriously hurt my chances if getting a job. Have you guys got any advice on writing a good CV?

ReputationRep:
    HI, this is my first job and so i dont have any paid work experience, i have done 2 2 week long work experiences. I have tried going on individual companies websites like John Lewis, PC world, etc but they dont seem to have any vacancies. I have also tried the Jobcentre plus website but thats really annoying as they give you a long list of jobs that require previous experience. I have also been on student job websites but they to require some sort of experience.

I really just want to know what i should do to get my very first job i live in London and so there should be opportunities out there. Has anyone got advice for me?
    I am in exactly the same boat, like scarily

live in london, looking for a job, no luck, nowhere has vacancies and websites are offering nothing

it's really fun isnt it?....

ReputationRep:

I work in John Lewis Watford and apparently John Lewis are freezing recruitment.

ReputationRep:
    ok thanks for the advice, i'll try my hardest. But does it matter if your CV is not that great, my CV is not bad but i've got nothing to compare it to, so i dont know if my CV is too weak and whether this would seriously hurt my chances if getting a job. Have you guys got any advice on writing a good CV?
    My CV was good and that's how I got the interview for John Lewis and am now working there.

If writing about Work Experience, write about why it can help you do the job you're applying for.
    My work experience was at the Met Police handling calls.

This is what I had down:

One week work experience with the Metropolitan Police, Central Communications Command, 999 Emergency Call Handling Centre which involved dealing with many people from different backgrounds and assessing the best course of action to take.
    Six weeks volunteer work at Oxfam, Watford High Street - General Retail Duties. January 08 - February 08 which involved general retail duties such as using a till point, putting stock out and tidying. Through periods of work experience I have developed a good understanding of a customer ethos from the perspective of callers to the Metropolitan Police Service 999 service to the visitors of Oxfam. My experience of two very different environments has taught me the importance of treating people according to their individual needs and circumstances.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.