Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    There's probably already threads about this, but nevermind =/

No matter HOW much sleep i have, i always seem to be tired. I don't have to get up until ten past 8 each day, and sometimes i'm in bed by half ten, sometimes 11 and try to get up the same time each day.

The problem is i never EVER sleep through the entire night. I wake up atleast twice at various times, usually around 4 am and then around 6 half 6... So by the time my alarm goes off at 8 i always snooze for 10 mins and then my body thinks i'm going to sleep again so i'm absolutely shattered by the time i wake up...

I've tried not eating before bed, a bath...everything! I'm coming to my wits end and i should probably go to a doctor but it's finding the time because i work 9-5.... agggh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hana_87)
    There's probably already threads about this, but nevermind =/

No matter HOW much sleep i have, i always seem to be tired. I don't have to get up until ten past 8 each day, and sometimes i'm in bed by half ten, sometimes 11 and try to get up the same time each day.

The problem is i never EVER sleep through the entire night. I wake up atleast twice at various times, usually around 4 am and then around 6 half 6... So by the time my alarm goes off at 8 i always snooze for 10 mins and then my body thinks i'm going to sleep again so i'm absolutely shattered by the time i wake up...

I've tried not eating before bed, a bath...everything! I'm coming to my wits end and i should probably go to a doctor but it's finding the time because i work 9-5.... agggh.
    Doctor doesn't really do much, I'm seeing a therapist about my sleeping issues and it takes some time for them to fix it. Apparently yoga/meditation helps a lot but you could always try herbal sleeping pills/tea?

ReputationRep:
    I went to the doctor for that sort of thing, they said 'stress', as usual, and that was that. Apparently herbs can help, as above. Caffeine doesn't help as much as I'd like it to though...

ReputationRep:
    What's causing you to awaken? Is it the need for the loo, a sound, or no real reason you can think of?

ReputationRep:
    You can sleep too much as well, which makes you even more tired. One cycle of sleep is roughly 6 hours, so maybe go to sleep a little later, and only go when you're so tired you'll go to sleep within a few minutes. Get up when your alarm goes off straight away and put your shoes on, that'll stop you from going back to bed :P

ReputationRep:
    i'd personally give up with the whole idea of a good nights sleep.

i have a similar thing to you. now i've realised regardless of when i go to bed i'll still be shattered the next day. so now i just go to bed at 4am each night, and wake up at 8am. at least then i fall straight to sleep and generally dont wake up in the night. i also get an extra 4 hours out of each day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -WhySoSerious?)
    You can sleep too much as well, which makes you even more tired. One cycle of sleep is roughly 6 hours, so maybe go to sleep a little later, and only go when you're so tired you'll go to sleep within a few minutes. Get up when your alarm goes off straight away and put your shoes on, that'll stop you from going back to bed :P
    Actually wouldn't stop me, I've been fully showered, dressed and ready and just laid down for a 'second' and have fallen back to sleep :cute:

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried exercising?

I used to exercise a lot and found that gave me 6 hours of decent deep sleep.

Nowadays, I'm a lazy bum. Slept from 10pm last night til 10ish this morning.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, I think it may well be stress. I was like it through A2 year, and it just meant that I never wound down properly.

Two hoursish before you go to bed, you need to turn off the laptop, TV, and try not to use your phone too much, and do some light reading or something to really wind down. Try baths again, maybe with some lavender oils or something so that the essential oils will help you relax some more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squeak)
    Actually wouldn't stop me, I've been fully showered, dressed and ready and just laid down for a 'second' and have fallen back to sleep http://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/i...ilies/cute.gif
    Wow, that's pretty impressive! hahah, not particularly useful though :P

ReputationRep:
    I'd say wait until you're really tired before going to bed; you'll get better quality sleep and be able to spend more time doing stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you fill your days well; do exercise and you'll be worn out at bed time! Also try and go to bed around the same time each night (even weekends) and get up at the same time; try not to sleep for more than 8-9 hours at night.

Don't watch TV or use your computer for a few hours before you go to bed. Make to-do lists before you go to bed so you won't have things running around your head that you can stay awake and worry about. Read a book in bed and when you feel tired, stop reading.

Maybe also look at your diet - are you eating a healthy, balanced diet? Getting enough iron? Maybe start taking some vitamin supplements.

Hope this helps works for me xx

ReputationRep:
    I had a similar problem, as do many many people in the world.

The main reason is indeed "stress" in today's society, considering all the different aspects of life one must follow.

Here are some of the things I suggest doing to improve your sleep quality + reasoning:
    - Exercise after you wake up. It doesn't have to be long, a 10 minute stretching session will do the trick.
    The reason for this is: to raise your body temperature, which is the most important aspect of the inner clock, or the "sleep clock". Higher temperatures means less sleep hormones means less drowsiness.
    - Exercise during the day. Exercise in the day raises the peak temperature of your body, making it go down lower at night, making you more sleepy, and therefore, easier to fall asleep and better quality sleep.
    - Don't eat before bed (not much, at least, if you're a food-lover like me), and don't drink one hour before, but do drink, because the body needs it overnight. That's the time when a LOT of the water requirement is used by the body.
    - Find the best way for you to sleep. Experts say it is on your back, with support for your neck and legs to allow good circulation and less pressure on your lower back. For me however, it is horrible to sleep in. Find the pose you are most comfortable in, without blocking any veins or arteries.
    - Try to be exposed to light as much as possible after you wake, during the day. This is to decrease the sleep hormone in your blood which is directly related to the amount of photons that are hitting your retina. Be exposed to sunlight (by taking walks, not wearing sun glasses, having a strong sunlight-lamp at work/home/office whatever). Reduce exposure to light towards the evening (that shouldn't be too hard).
    - Remove caffeine from your diet. It will be hard, and sometimes you'd feel like it, but caffeine is not helping at all if it is taken in daily, and in most cases with most people, it is. Herbal tea is amazing, as it relaxes your body and increases concentration. Plus it's much more fun to drink than plain water. ^^
    - Do not do anything in your bed but sleep and sex. The comment above about reading before falling asleep is just a stereotypical notion. Your mind has to understand that your bed is primarily for sleep, and the more things you do there, the less easier it will be for your mind to drift off to sleep. Also remove all kind of distractions from your bedroom, be it a TV/Radio etc, because these things affect your mind too.
    - Do not think that sleeping MORE is sleeping better. I am sleeping 4 hours a day and feeling fantastic just because I learned to utilise the inner sleep clock.
    - If you feel tired during the day, take 'power naps' - a 30 minute sleep session during the day, but not after 16:00. It'll give you a lot of vitality as it energizes the body. Do a little blood-moving afterwards to wake up (anything as simple as a shower or washing dishes, or anything that makes you move like a walk outside).
    - I would really recommend you get the "Sleep Package" by Kacper M. Postawski. (powerfulsleep.com). He talks a lot about everything I said here and teaches you how to make your life much much better (more energetic, less time wasting on sleep, etc).

Last note: try these things, and I am sure you won't be able to try ALL of them, but the more you employ, the better.

Hope it helps. Good luck sleeping and sweet dreams!

ReputationRep:
    Tiredness could be caused just by stress and a busy lifestyle, but I would go to your GP just to check there isn't a more serious reason for it (Anemia, underactive or overactive thyroid etc.)

x

ReputationRep:
    I really couldn't be bothered reading all of the replies, so someone may have already told you...

Take a one a day multivitamin and multimineral tablet by a good brand (solgar) or else if you prefer liquid then get Epersat by salus, you could also be lacking in Iron which usually leads to tiredness, so Floradix by salus is good. You can get those from any good health food shop, trust me!!!

ReputationRep:
    Start to take aloe vera capsules, multivitamins & cod liver oil. Also stop smoking, if you already do. Easier said than done, I know

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 9, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.