Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Question: Passport. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    i lost my passport last week after a night out.. i've looked for it everywhere but cant seem to find it.

if i order a new one how long will it take before it arrives?

and is it still possible to apply for a driving license even though i dont have a passport atm?

thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Up to 6 weeks.

I can't remember if you can use another form of ID for your licence though.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty sure my bf didn't have a passport when he applied for his provisional, so he sent his birth certificate, you have to get someone respectable or whatever to sign and agree you are who you say you are, pretty sure.

As for how long it'll take, just go look on the passport website or whatever, you can pay more to get it done in 24hours but it'll probs take a few weeks to get a new one.

ReputationRep:
    you also have to fill out a form to say that you've lost your passport..

i've just got a new passport.. i went for the express service which does it the same day, but it cost an extra £35..

they usually say to apply for it at least 4 weeks before you need it..

and i don't think you need it for a provisional. maybe a birth certificate and a proof of address? (you'd be better checking this with the proper authorities)

ReputationRep:
    Use the passport check and send service and you should get it within a week (maybe two if your local passport office is particularly busy at the mo. It's only an extra £7.

I think you can apply for your provisional licence with your birth certificate.

ReputationRep:
    I applied for my provisional with my birth certificate, so you're fine on that front.

It took a week to get mine back - that was normal service - but they say it can take up to 28 days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Jester)
    i lost my passport last week after a night out.. i've looked for it everywhere but cant seem to find it.

if i order a new one how long will it take before it arrives?

and is it still possible to apply for a driving license even though i dont have a passport atm?

thanks.
    I had the same problem, it took 4 weeks and not to mention filling in the form took a week to do as i needed someone to counter-sign it, well someone who was willing to put there name forward. Not to mention, fill it in correctly.

Teachers you get along with and may help you, doctors is a bad idea because they ask to much questions, etc.

ReputationRep:
    Since we're talking about passports, is it possible to have multiple British passports like you can do in other countries?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haft_Hasht_Shish)
    Since we're talking about passports, is it possible to have multiple British passports like you can do in other countries?
    No, I'm pretty sure you can't. When you apply for a new passport - if your old one has expired - you're to send the old one with it.

ReputationRep:
    ^ Woops, I should have said 'multiple passports simultaneously'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychocustard)
    No, I'm pretty sure you can't. When you apply for a new passport - if your old one has expired - you're to send the old one with it.
    They send it back with the corner cut off though. Well they did with me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haft_Hasht_Shish)
    no you're not meant to. although i do as my parents lost mine (yes it was actually them who lost it) so i ordered a new one, then a couple of months later they found the original.

so i now have two which are in date. although i imagine if you scanned the old one in one of the passport readers it tell you its lost/stolen and so invalid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squeak)
    They send it back with the corner cut off though. Well they did with me.
    Yeah, but that voids it, so it can't be used.

ReputationRep:
    You're meant to return the 'lost' passport to them so they can void it if you got a new one to replace it.

Also, if you get your application off soon they'll do it quickly because there's not too many people applying for them so it's easy for them to turn it arround quickly. If you wait until nearer the summer then it'll take longer because the summer holiday rush for passports begins.

ReputationRep:
    Yah I know. I'm not an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    Not at airports, but it still works as ID for clubs/bars etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)
    Not at airports, but it still works as ID for clubs/bars etc.
    Aye, apart from the ridiculously ridiculous clubs who are like 'we're not accepting it, it's expired'. DOESN'T MEAN IT'S NOT A VALID FORM OF IDENTIFICATION. argh. grinds my gears.

ReputationRep:
    So the only way to get multiple passports for British citizens = dual nationality. That sucks.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.