The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
thunder_chunky
No I was born in Hammersmith and raised in Harrow, then I lived in various other places until settling where I am about 7 or 8 years ago.

What about you?

You Watford born and bred?

Ah nice, I like Harrow. Well, Harrow on the Hill at least.

South Oxhey born and bred unfortunately. Not that you'd guess, i'm well spoken surprisingly and not a tw*t.
Samus2
Ah nice, I like Harrow. Well, Harrow on the Hill at least.

South Oxhey born and bred unfortunately. Not that you'd guess, i'm well spoken surprisingly and not a tw*t.

South Oxhey, and your able to read and write? It's a miracle! :p:

Yeah I come from nearish Harrow on the Hill, but like I said I have travelled around and moved a bit. This is my area now though.

You like Watford?

You a Hornets and Saracens fan?
Do you mean transport in general? I agree UK needs to invest in state of art, Shinkansen trains and completly re-construct the london underground.
Reply 183
thunder_chunky
South Oxhey, and your able to read and write? It's a miracle! :p:

Yeah I come from nearish Harrow on the Hill, but like I said I have travelled around and moved a bit. This is my area now though.

You like Watford?

You a Hornets and Saracens fan?

People are always surprised when I say I live in South Oxhey. It's a miracle I'm not on Snog, Marry, Avoid.

I don't like it at all. Used to love it when I was 13 or so. But now I just associate it with the majority of people I dislike and work >.<
Can't wait to go to Uni personally!
How about you?

I'm a hornets fan, can't really say I've ever been into Rugby much though! And you?
I agree..public transport really is so, so gay.

Merseyrail, which I use, is 4 times an hour which is quite good, but buses are an absolute farce.
Reply 185
the comon misconception of buses being for poor people is absurdddd.... im telling you for me to travel to uni on the bus cos of the major traffic in central manchester and no parking... means i end up having to pay 50quid a month on bus travel alone, frickin ridiculous, thats 450-500 a year if i factor in time off for holidays... i think the whole system needs to be reformed, and if we're being charged this much, shuldnt have to see dirty seats and buses that turn up when they like
Reply 186
i like the tube :emo:
Get the train from Watford (zone 7) to Orpington (zone 6) for work, a journey which takes a long time for its distance however driving around the M25 takes longer during rush hour. The return cost is £12 with railcard, cheaper than the fuel cost I guess. Never given too much disruption, im on time for work 95% of the time and never wait more than 10 mins for a train - and thats using 3 separate train companies.

Watford connections with Hertfordshire are terrible, I use car to go pretty much anywhere except London, and I only live 5mins walk from Watford Junction.

Very impressed with East Coast which I use the London - Leeds route, from what I remember GNER did a good job too. Free internet is a good touch too.

Switzerland really does set the marker for long distance train travel, despite have the inconvient obstacle of mountains spread across the country. The service is fast, smooth, on time and reasonably priced.
Samus2
People are always surprised when I say I live in South Oxhey. It's a miracle I'm not on Snog, Marry, Avoid.

Or The Jeremy Kyle show :p:

I don't like it at all. Used to love it when I was 13 or so. But now I just associate it with the majority of people I dislike and work >.<

I can understand that.

I've had that feeling about the area I used to work in when I was working part time retail jobs. I worked in Northwood. After four and a half years I got fed up of the work, the people, and the area.

[quote] Can't wait to go to Uni personally! [/quote

Where are you hoping to go? What do you hope to study?

How about you?

What would you like to know?

I'm a hornets fan, can't really say I've ever been into Rugby much though! And you?

Well I'm an Arsenal fan actually, as for rugby I'm a London Wasps fan.

trojan10_om
Watford connections with Hertfordshire are terrible, I use car to go pretty much anywhere except London, and I only live 5mins walk from Watford Junction.

Yep, I agree there. See earlier posts of mine in this thread for more details. Basically I get the bus to the north of Hertfordshire. The service is irregular at best.

Botticello
I agree..public transport really is so, so gay.

How can a public transport system be gay?
Reply 189
I'm living in Madrid at the moment and I have to say the metro is amazing. The trains always come every 3mins, until 10pm and then it's every 7 mins. The trains are clean and light, the stations are clean and light. Some of the trains even have TVs on them, with the news on!!

And the price is so cheap. I pay 33Euros a month for unlimited use of the metro/buses/train which I take to work.

Compared to London Underground which is expensive, unreliable, dark and dirty.

I also went to Manchester for Uni, and took the bus into uni every day. They weren't the nicest/cleanest of buses, but for £150 for a yearly pass, you can't really complain. And they were pretty reliable (every 3mins or so)
The London Underground is one of the best metro systems in the world. The people complaining about it have no idea what they're talking about. Try using the subways somewhere else before you complain...

First Capital Connect trains are awful.
they get more than enough public funding.
that only leaves one explanation. we, as a country, are just **** at organising things.
DJ AgnieszkaA
they get more than enough public funding.
that only leaves one explanation. we, as a country, are just **** at organising things.

And amazing at complaining about things.
Pink Bullets
And amazing at complaining about things.

which is a consequence of everything being ****, really
Reply 194
I completely agree that public transport in this country is truly awful!
I used to have to travel from my home in Audenshaw, Manchester to Salford Quays which in a car takes 30 mins maximum (that's if there is heavy traffic!) however I do not drive so I had to take two buses and a tram, this journey could often take me up to two hours by public transport.
A lot of the time buses and trams never showed up or they were late and that had an impact on the rest of the journey and if the weather was bad then I might as well have just walked because everything was just so unreliable.
As for the train station, which is only a 15 minute walk from my home, I took the train twice and both times it turned up an nearly hour late and was absolutely packed! It only took me to the city centre so I had to take another tram or bus to get the rest of the way.
There is definitely a need for improvement in public transport in this country especially if the government want people to reduce their carbon footprint by using their cars less.
I get a city-wide unlimited pass for buses for 17&#8364; a month in a city of 300.000 here in mainland Europe.. The busy lines run every 6-10mins. Trains are non-existent though, but not really needed.
thunder_chunky
Or The Jeremy Kyle show :p:

Yep, I agree there. See earlier posts of mine in this thread for more details. Basically I get the bus to the north of Hertfordshire. The service is irregular at best.

I feel for you, it must be a long old ride too?
Reply 197
Pink Bullets
The London Underground is one of the best metro systems in the world. The people complaining about it have no idea what they're talking about. Try using the subways somewhere else before you complain...

No it really isn't you sanctimonious twit.

And most of the people posting in this thread HAVE used other subways, which you'd know if you'd bother to read what anyone else has written:rolleyes:
paddy
No it really isn't you sanctimonious twit.

And most of the people posting in this thread HAVE used other subways, which you'd know if you'd bother to read what anyone else has written:rolleyes:

When subways around the world are ranked, London's consistently comes out near the top. I'm not even British, I have no reason such as national pride to pretend it's better than it is.

What other subways have you used then?
Public transport is alright here in Essex, most stuff is on time.

Bad things are that public travel is still expensive (It's ridiculous, £3-4K to get to London? And I worked out that if I wanted to work at Stansted and travel from home using public transport, it would cost around £5K a year)

Some of the buses are absolutely ancient as-well (Arriva win no awards here, we used to have decent buses a few years back until they moved them all to Kent, WHY?)

We have the most punctual train operator, c2c. They're brilliant :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending