Turn on thread page Beta

British public transport is awful... watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Depends what line really doesn't it. I regularly wait 10 minutes for a train on the Circle line.
    Ok then 10 minutes, still 10 minutes is totally acceptable - Really what do you expect?

Another thing, it takes you 90 minutes to get to uni on a sunday? Could you explain your route?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student2806)
    The HSTs (with slam-doors) on the ECML are some of the smoothest around to travel on. I'd take them every time over some of the new ones (Voyagers) with engines underneath each carriage, causing them to vibrate all the time they're moving. Travelling on a Voyager is like sitting on a machine machine
    New doesn't mean better. I'd rather travel on a spacious, comfortable old train with door handles than an uncomfortable, cramped new one with automatic doors.
    I agree... the voyagers make me travel sick... although the doors on the old ones can have their difficulties too... I can hardly reach the handle from the inside!

ReputationRep:
    The circle line is one of a few that always has delays or works, or something.

The other frequent offenders are the Northern Line, and the Hammersmith and City Line.

Not that I use either of those frequently, but I know people who do and it inconveniences them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Who2004uk)
    Ok then 10 minutes, still 10 minutes is totally acceptable - Really what do you expect?

Another thing, it takes you 90 minutes to get to uni on a sunday? Could you explain your route?
    Well for like £18 a week (which is subsidised, I don't even pay adult fees which are £25) I expect a decent and regular service which I can actually catch in the morning (sometimes I have to miss 3 tubes on the Central line before I can pick one, they're so packed). Also, I don't appreciate paying £72 a month to be trapped on a tube in the morning more crowded then a sodding train to Auscwitz. I don't have a choice about when I travel, I can't avoid rush hour, I have 9AM lectures.

Normally (weekdays) from Queens Park on Bakerloo to Oxford circus, then Central line to Mile end, takes 45/50 minutes. Last time I tried it there was loads of stops closed, train wouldn't go to Mile end etc.. etc.. took me an hour and a half. I give up, some weekends it's fine, some it's total ****.

ReputationRep:
    Essex transport isn't so bad, buses are generally on time unless there's bad weather, and the train system is irritating, but there aren't too many delays.
    With any luck, wherever I end up at uni won't be too terrible transport-wise...

ReputationRep:
    Well for like £18 a week (which is subsidised, I don't even pay adult fees which are £25) I expect a decent and regular service which I can actually catch in the morning (sometimes I have to miss 3 tubes on the Central line before I can pick one, they're so packed). Also, I don't appreciate paying £72 a month to be trapped on a tube in the morning more crowded then a sodding train to Auscwitz. I don't have a choice about when I travel, I can't avoid rush hour, I have 9AM lectures.

Normally (weekdays) from Queens Park on Bakerloo to Oxford circus, then Central line to Mile end, takes 45/50 minutes. Last time I tried it there was loads of stops closed, train wouldn't go to Mile end etc.. etc.. took me an hour and a half. I give up, some weekends it's fine, some it's total ****.
    Sorry but £18 is bloody cheap for what you get.

Tubes are regular as hell so it doesn't matter if you have to miss a couple.

Ok so it takes 45/50 mins to get somewhere, do you want TFL to install what exactly? I live 5 miles from Birmingham city centre, buses are every 15 mins and it takes an hour to get in. On a croweded, disgustingly dirty bus (Anyone from Birmingham care to back me up?)

You London lot need a dose of reality, there is literally no point in debating this.

ReputationRep:
    In what ways is it ridiculous really? You never have to wait more than 5 mins for a tube, it doesn't rain in the tube, it is reliable etc. What exactly do you expect?

Oh and I'd like to see a source on the quite profound statement of the Northern line closing on weekends for 20 months.... Nothing is even close to be confirmed.
    Have you ever had to wait for the circle line? DON'T YOU ****ING TELL ME THEY COME EVERY 5 MINUTES LIKE ****ING CLOCKWORK.

Oh and then there was last Sunday where a signal failure meant I was stuck on the Northern Line for 45 minutes without moving more than 10 metres.

Oh and then there was two days ago when I was stuck on the circle line for 20 minutes making me late to uni.

Oh and then there were the tube strikes a few months ago which meant I was 3 hours late for work.

The tube network is the most unreliable and expensive of its kind in Europe. I have used subways in the US, Spain (a lot), France and Argentina and never not once heard of these kind of delays. Oh and WTF is up with signal failures? You'd have thought they'd have replaced them or come up with a better system by now:rolleyes:

OH and let's not forget that while OTHER underground networks carry out maintenence at night, or (like in New York) have two tracks side-by-side to enable a 24 hour service alongside maintenence, TFL insists on closing down ENTIRE lines on the WEEKEND. Christ knows how much money TFL has cost the economy.

As for the 20 month northern line weekend closures, my point is that THEY HAVE BEEN REQUESTED. And out of a proposed 58 weekend closures, 16 haven't been questioned. If you want a source read a ****ing newspaper (oh and the one I read was the Evening Standard not the Metro) :rolleyes:

(Original post by thunder_chunky)
    Shut down completely or only at weekends and such like?
    Only at weekends.

Apparently on some parts of the Northern Line they're also shutting down early (at 10pm) during the week too.

ReputationRep:
    Oh and another thing, the tubes are rammed because of people like you and me. People who have moved to London for University or work or a new life etc. There are FAR too many people wanting to use the system for what the system can hold. This is not TFL's problem, you moan that its too busy but your contributing to it.

ReputationRep:
    Out of hours on weekdays in town it's amazing, so smooth. I got from my house (Camden) to Westfield in about half an hour.

During rush hour it really is silly though. I personally think they need to bore more tunnels so they can build express tracks which skip stations (like on the Met line between Finchley Road and Wembley Park) and so they can divert around the track that needs doing up.

Our transport is amazing compared to the rest of the UK though.

ReputationRep:
    Oh and another thing, the tubes are rammed because of people like you and me. People who have moved to London for University or work or a new life etc. There are FAR too many people wanting to use the system for what the system can hold. This is not TFL's problem, you moan that its too busy but your contributing to it.
    Why not increase capacity relative to demand then? After all, we do pay to use it..

ReputationRep:
    Sorry but £18 is bloody cheap for what you get.

Tubes are regular as hell so it doesn't matter if you have to miss a couple.

Ok so it takes 45/50 mins to get somewhere, do you want TFL to install what exactly? I live 5 miles from Birmingham city centre, buses are every 15 mins and it takes an hour to get in. On a croweded, disgustingly dirty bus (Anyone from Birmingham care to back me up?)

You London lot need a dose of reality, there is literally no point in debating this.
    AHAHAHAHAHA. Like Birmingham deserves a world-class transport system.

London is the CAPITAL. It has FAR MORE PEOPLE LIVING AND WORKING IN IT.

Other European cities (Paris, Madrid, Barcelona etc) have tube systems which work infinitely better. My God, every European I know in London is astounded by how terrible our tube network is.

ReputationRep:

You just don't get it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ak56)
    coverage in rural areas is appauling to the extent many rural areas are completely inaccessable by public transport in their entirety
    true this. although a lot of that's due to the topography - you literally couldn't fit a bus up half the roads leading to my old village. so rural connectivity might be better in much of Northern Europe at least, simply because the land is flatter.

ReputationRep:
    When I used to get the train, even if it left the station on time, and I was sitting on it. It'd still end up late at the stop I usually get on at.
    What's that about.
    And then it'd list the train as being "On time" even though it was nowhere near the station. I read that for a train to be late in this country, it has be more than 10 minutes late.
    If I was 5 minutes late for work, I'd be late, I don't get how this doesn't apply to trains.

To be fair though, when I take the bus, they're pretty regular, and I don't remember getting really annoyed about the bus not coming. But I live in London, and my bus stop is on a main road which is served by several routes.

ReputationRep:
    People seriously need to stop complaining about transport (especially in the cities) because it's really not that bad. I mean, come on! If you had to wait 3mins for the Central Line you'd probably feel like that was a long time! And plus, compared to the likes of France, for example, our buses and trains are much cleaner, look nicer (IMO) and our stations tend not to smell of piss!

The buses may not be as good but they still do their job and they can't really help traffic.

Although our transport is expensive it'll save you money than buying a car, insurance, petrol, parking, road tax etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)

If you want a source read a ****ing newspaper (oh and the one I read was the Evening Standard not the Metro) :rolleyes:

Only at weekends.

Apparently on some parts of the Northern Line they're also shutting down early (at 10pm) during the week too.
    Sigh, lets break this down.

1. Yes I have used the circle line, I lived in London for 15 years.

2. The tube itself is a very old system, the circle line opened in 1884. The London network is so old and extensive that once one problems occurs another will pop up. Do you honestly believe people are sitting on their thumbs just mucking about to annoy you?

3. I found your point about the 20 month closure funny. Thought to mention that "THEY HAVE BEEN REQUESTED", big lols at me then - suppose I'll go and ******* newspaper. I'll make it a good one like you read, The Evening Standard. I mean it's up to me to source your statements.

:lol:

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm2:
    What do you want people who rely on the Underground to do? Walk across London?
    TFL and its predecessors have failed to keep supply up with demand. You can't blame the public for using public transport.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so for your £72 a month what you REALLY want is a personalised tube carriage that is completely free for your use only.

You've accepted that you don't have a choice about when you travel because of 9am lectures, everyone knows that rush hour is hell, it's your choice to not get on tubes (if I REALLY had to get to uni.. I would just get on anyway).. so.. why exactly are you complaining?

Also... trains to Auschwitz didn't have seats.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kat2pult)
    People seriously need to stop complaining about transport (especially in the cities) because it's really not that bad. I mean, come on! If you had to wait 3mins for the Central Line you'd probably feel like that was a long time! And plus, compared to the likes of France, for example, our buses and trains are much cleaner, look nicer (IMO) and our stations tend not to smell of piss!

The buses may not be as good but they still do their job and they can't really help traffic.

Although our transport is expensive it'll save you money than buying a car, insurance, petrol, parking, road tax etc etc.
    The argument that "it could be worse" or "other people have it worse" is not a valid reason to accept mediocrity :rolleyes:

Of course the London Underground has a long way to go before it gets as good as being just mediocre...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)
    Only at weekends.

Surely that will effect Camden Market somehow.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.