Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)

You just don't get it.
    Guess you just owned me. :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Who2004uk)
    Oh and another thing, the tubes are rammed because of people like you and me. People who have moved to London for University or work or a new life etc. There are FAR too many people wanting to use the system for what the system can hold. This is not TFL's problem, you moan that its too busy but your contributing to it.
    :lol: It's all our fault, it's all our fault!!! :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Oh and another thing, the tubes are rammed because of people like you and me. People who have moved to London for University or work or a new life etc. There are FAR too many people wanting to use the system for what the system can hold. This is not TFL's problem, you moan that its too busy but your contributing to it.
    This is true, in pretty much any city at peak times you will get a packed out service.
    But it's also due to years of underfunding, and a lack of trains on the network, and knackered rolling stock from the 1960's. That's why there is a big push now to get everything up to standards for 2012.
    This is also why my home borough is getting a rail line that will pass through it's centre not just one at the edge of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)
    The argument that "it could be worse" or "other people have it worse" is not a valid reason to accept mediocrity :rolleyes:

Of course the London Underground has a long way to go before it gets as good as being just mediocre...
    But it's not bad! How is the London Underground bad? Sure I get annoyed when it's packed in the morning and evenings, but I personally think you're being overly harsh just so you can fit into the 'TFL is crap' crew.

How long have you even been in London?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student2806)
    :facepalm2:
    What do you want people who rely on the Underground to do? Walk across London?
    TFL and its predecessors have failed to keep supply up with demand.
    My point wasn't to tell people to walk about London to save the tube. My point was that everyone is moaning how crap TFL are, that the millions of people using the overused system is somehow TFL's fault. At rush hour, they would have to put a tube on every 30 seconds to satisfy demand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kat2pult)
    People seriously need to stop complaining about transport (especially in the cities) because it's really not that bad. I mean, come on! If you had to wait 3mins for the Central Line you'd probably feel like that was a long time! And plus, compared to the likes of France, for example, our buses and trains are much cleaner, look nicer (IMO) and our stations tend not to smell of piss!

The buses may not be as good but they still do their job and they can't really help traffic.

Although our transport is expensive it'll save you money than buying a car, insurance, petrol, parking, road tax etc etc.
    Well that's a very mild and balanced view and I agree. I wouldn't even need my car in London if it weren't for mega-trips to a supermarket, driving late at night, or avoiding being beaten by bad weather. Otherwise, yeah, London transport works fine. Just have to try to PLAN for traffic. But once someone has been in London for a while, they can pretty much guess around what times of day and which areas they need to give themselves an extra 30mins or so to get where they're going..................

Oyster season tickets help as you can hop on buses and on underground etc. on a whim. Easy to adapt to a ****** situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    :lol: It's all our fault, it's all our fault!!! :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo:
    I'll repeat it for you

"My point wasn't to tell people to walk about London to save the tube. My point was that everyone is moaning how crap TFL are, that the millions of people using the overused system is somehow TFL's fault. At rush hour, they would have to put a tube on every 30 seconds to satisfy demand."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)
    The argument that "it could be worse" or "other people have it worse" is not a valid reason to accept mediocrity :rolleyes:

Of course the London Underground has a long way to go before it gets as good as being just mediocre...
    That's why they're "calling in the big boys" like engineers, etc. from Hong Kong. Their MTR system IS the way to serve up a high frequency, high capacity..... service! The only thing like it I've seen is at Waterloo on the Jubilee Line, where they have those .... plastic protector door thingies (vocabulary fail!!).

ReputationRep:
    Sigh, lets break this down.

1. Yes I have used the circle line, I lived in London for 15 years.

2. The tube itself is a very old system, the circle line opened in 1884. The London network is so old and extensive that once one problems occurs another will pop up. Do you honestly believe people are sitting on their thumbs just mucking about to annoy you?

3. I found your point about the 20 month closure funny. Thought to mention that "THEY HAVE BEEN REQUESTED", big lols at me then - suppose I'll go and ******* newspaper. I'll make it a good one like you read, The Evening Standard. I mean it's up to me to source your statements.

:lol:
    1. OH MY GOD WELL CLEARLY YOU ARE RIGHT. No.

2. I know it's incredibly old, thank you, I also happen to live in London :ahee:
    Gosh did it ever occur to you that a system put in place by the Victorians might need replacing as opposed to the odd bit of maintenence?

3. They have been requested yes. If you had bothered to research you would know that TFL HAS NO LEGAL RIGHT TO CHALLENGE THESE REQUESTS WITHOUT FACING SERIOUS LEGAL RAMIFICATIONS DUE TO THEIR CONTRACT, MAKING ANY SUCH REQUEST TANTAMOUNT TO OFFICIAL SCHEDULING.
    And actually it's up to you to disprove what I say jackass.
    Surely that will effect Camden Market somehow.
    To be fair I hate that place and wouldn't mind seeing it wither and die :dontknow:
    (Original post by kat2pult)
    But it's not bad! How is the London Underground bad? Sure I get annoyed when it's packed in the morning and evenings, but I personally think you're being overly harsh just so you can fit into the 'TFL is crap' crew.

How long have you even been in London?
    :facepalm:
    And not that it's any of your business but I've lived here for the past 3 years. Hell I was even born here:rolleyes:

I'm not being overly harsh. If you go and see what systems other European cities have you would realise how utterly **** TFL is.

ReputationRep:
    I'll repeat it for you

"My point wasn't to tell people to walk about London to save the tube. My point was that everyone is moaning how crap TFL are, that the millions of people using the overused system is somehow TFL's fault. At rush hour, they would have to put a tube on every 30 seconds to satisfy demand."
    Ever been to Japan? They seem to do it fine:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    ******* hell British people are ungrateful. Moaning because you have to wait 10 minutes for a tube train? Flaming Nora.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)

And actually it's up to you to disprove what I say jackass.

Your grammar is hurting my eyes.

I've singled out that line as it's one of the most unintelligent things I've ever read on this forum. On that bombshell, I'm not willing to talk to you anymore.

Suppose you're going to sit there thinking 'you've won' now, there there.

ReputationRep:
    I'll repeat it for you

It's not what they do now - it's what they didn't do in the past. Demand has been increasing for decades and yet the Underground hasn't received the investment to meet supply. If more money had been put into increasing supply over the last decade, there wouldn't be chronic overcrowding of the system today.
    Other systems around the world have managed to keep up with supply and prevent overcrowding - why couldn't TFL?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ak56)
    I swear for the price you pay, and the sheer lack of quality of transport, British public transport must be some of the worst in Europe. Since most of the branch lines have been dismantled, the train network in this country leaves a lot to be desired, and is rubbish compared to France, Germany, Spain and Italy. Only the major towns are linked, and still even some major towns aren't on the network - this would be unthinkable in many countries. And also the rolling stock is absolutely ancient, we're using trains that many European countries scrapped years ago - so trains in the UK still have the doors you have to lean out the window and open from the outside, it's absurd.

Sadly, the bus system doesn't exactly fill in the blanks the railways miss either, coverage in rural areas is appauling to the extent many rural areas are completely inaccessable by public transport in their entirety - in Europe pretty much every settlement has some sort of bus service with the nearest town. In the UK it seems the bus service suffers from the same problems as the trains, you can get around town on them, and they link to the next town, but rural areas remain often completely unserved.

America is often critisized for its poor public transport, but I'd say British public transport is no better than American public transport. Public transports fairly good in London, as it is quite good in New York, but outside the major cities its patchy, irregular and not particularly extensive. Where American public transport redeems itself is despite not being particularly good, its cheap.

British public transport, despite being crap, still charges you an arm and a leg for crap, unextensive not particularly relyable service.
    I have taken public transport. It is a joke. Enough to make anyone commit suicide. I taken a bus a from Preston to Manchester, cost me an arm and a leg, and I have seen people cry because the bus has not turned up. That is no lie. I taken the train, that never turns up on most occassions, cost an arm and a leg.
    In fact Preston and Manchester are not far apart, it is only down the road literally. For that we have to pay vast amounts of money.
    I don't understand how our tax is paying for transport when really it is just privatised and **** service we are getting.
    I don't understand why I am paying so much for transport just to expect a **** service, a train station that stinks, Victoria is a state, something that was bombed in ww2, still being used. The train really has no seat lefts, it stinks of wee wee.
    What a joke.
    Now, I drive, driving to Manchester is joke, congestion, congestion and congestion, but I am glad I have a car and can commute to Manchester. It is annoying, I am hit with tax, insurance, petrol and on top of that parking. I park in Salford around the back, it is £2 all day, I walk it to Salford central or Spinningfield and catch the metroshuttle down to Oxford Road...
    It's enough to make anyone not to give two flying ***** about the enviroment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)
    :facepalm:
    And not that it's any of your business but I've lived here for the past 3 years. Hell I was even born here:rolleyes:

I'm not being overly harsh. If you go and see what systems other European cities have you would realise how utterly **** TFL is.
    Well when I was commuting into London for 2 years to college I hated it, but now it's for leisure I don't think it's anywhere near as bad because I don't go at rush hour and I know where the quiet carriages are on each line.

Comparing it to Paris (again), I would actually say our tube system was better. Their stations are so close together and a lot of them smell bad and are dirty and are infested with tramps and people jumping over the barriers. Also, their trains look older (bar their new yellow line trains). Their signs and directions and interchanges aren't as good or as clear as ours, and you have to wait roughly the same time for a train.

I still think the London ones are better and easier to use, especially so in the outskirts of London.

ReputationRep:
    I'll repeat it for you

Other countries manage with larger numbers.
    It's all about organization amongst other things.

Numbers are irrelevant.

(Original post by paddy)
    To be fair I hate that place and wouldn't mind seeing it wither and die :dontknow
    I don't mind it.
    I haven't been there lately, it just seems the same every time I go. However if I go once in a while I like to just walk around, maybe try some of the food there. Perhaps the places that won't give me food poisoning.

Up until recently a friend of mine lived around there in Chalk Farm so to go see her and hang out around Camden wasn't all that bad.

Lots of business there, it would be unfair if it suffered because of this.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say public transport in cities is top notch, but in rural areas it really is shocking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student2806)
    Other systems around the world have managed to keep up with supply and prevent overcrowding - why couldn't TFL?
    Well because the TFL have only been in control as such since 2000. If you want to point fingers at anyone, point them at Margerat Thatcher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smalltownboy)
    I'd say public transport in cities is top notch, but in rural areas it really is shocking.
    Really...
    Just because Oxford Road has a bus every 2 seconds, does not Manchester has the best transport service in the world. In fact it is quite ****. It is quite ironic, when we have ****** countries on the other side of Europe and the world, having better transport than us.

ReputationRep:
    Other countries manage with larger numbers.
    It's all about organization amongst other things.

Numbers are irrelevant.
    You talk like your an expert on foreign underground systems. In my opinion, having gone to Paris or Madrid on holiday and used the metros a couple of times isn't a good enough basis for you to compare to London.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.