Turn on thread page Beta

British public transport is awful... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kat2pult)
    And plus, compared to the likes of France, for example, our buses and trains are much cleaner, look nicer (IMO) and our stations tend not to smell of piss!
    Nonsense, Paris may be dirtier than London, but overall French public transport uses new equiptment, is more extensive, faster, cheaper and in general clean if not cleaner.

Also, the idea of Paris transport being dirtier than London is very debatable, the tube is quite frankly disgusting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4G_dollars)
    Really...
    Just because Oxford Road has a bus every 2 seconds, does not Manchester has the best transport service in the world. In fact it is quite ****.
    Well bus services to most places in Manchester seems to be fast and efficient. I regularly get the bus to Didsbury, Chorlton, the Trafford Centre etc and all of those are relatively pain-free, especially compared to where I live in Sussex, where the service is overwhelmingly poor, even in cities like Brighton. The tram is also useful for going to places like Salford etc......grass is always greener. I think Manchester actually has a public transport system to be very proud of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Who2004uk)

Your grammar is hurting my eyes.

I've singled out that line as it's one of the most unintelligent things I've ever read on this forum. On that bombshell, I'm not willing to talk to you anymore.

Suppose you're going to sit there thinking 'you've won' now, there there.
    I'm sorry I wasn't aware I was writing an academic essay:rolleyes:

Why the hell should I back up what I say when it's obvious to anyone who's picked up a newspaper recently?

I look forward to a distinct lack of crap from your direction

(Original post by kat2pult)
    Well when I was commuting into London for 2 years to college I hated it, but now it's for leisure I don't think it's anywhere near as bad because I don't go at rush hour and I know where the quiet carriages are on each line.

Comparing it to Paris (again), I would actually say our tube system was better. Their stations are so close together and a lot of them smell bad and are dirty and are infested with tramps and people jumping over the barriers. Also, their trains look older (bar their new yellow line trains). Their signs and directions and interchanges aren't as good or as clear as ours, and you have to wait roughly the same time for a train.

I still think the London ones are better and easier to use, especially so in the outskirts of London.
    I'm not objecting to normal waiting times, I'm objecting to the ridiculous delays that TFL are prone to, and the absolutely ridiculous fact that they suspend service on major lines at the weekend.

You may not travel at rush hour but it's unavoidable for some of us who live here. Again I never objected to overcrowding at rush hour in this thread (although it is horrifically unpleasant), it just adds to the long list of TFL's shortcomings.

You guys wait until the Olympics in 2012. London is going to be FULL of people complaining about TFL :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smalltownboy)
    Well bus services to most places in Manchester seems to be fast and efficient. I regularly get the bus to Didsbury, Chorlton, the Trafford Centre etc and all of those are relatively pain-free, especially compared to where I live in Sussex, where the service is overwhelmingly poor, even in cities like Brighton. The tram is also useful for going to places like Salford etc......grass is always greener. I think Manchester actually has a public transport system to be very proud of.
    You try and get the bus down to Preston, and lets hope you don't try commit suicide. It is a joke.
    My aunty live in Wigan, she drives. Wigan is part of Manchester, the service from Wigan to Manchester is a lot to be desired. In fact it is ****.

Just because it has a better connection to the trafford centre, or Chorlton/Didsbury, does not mean a thing. Apparently, they are every 5 minutes, I worked out last time, it is every 20 minutes, and it half hour to get to the trafford centre by bus, when it is only 7 minutes down the road.

ReputationRep:
    I live in the north of Sheffield, and I can safely say the transport is shocking. They have recently changed our timetable, so that there are no buses running in the evenings into the town centre unless I'm prepared to walk for 30 minutes, with sunday services also being drastically reduced (it was bad enough anyway). We are lucky enough to have trains running through the area (only 4 rural areas of Sheffield are lucky to have them), but they have also just changed the service from every 30 minutes to every hour (train station is also 20 minutes walk from where I live anyway).

Every year they are attempting to make my area more inaccessible, it's bad enough the buses are late/never turn up, now there's rarely going to be a bus running in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    It's still waaay better than the Polish public transport...

ReputationRep:
    You talk like your an expert on foreign underground systems. In my opinion, having gone to Paris or Madrid on holiday and used the metros a couple of times isn't a good enough basis for you to compare to London.
    I never have nor will claim to be an expert on public transport systems, but you don't need to be to know that numbers could be irrelevant when talking about efficiency of a public transport system.

ReputationRep:
    I've always found it to be really excellent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    I never have nor will claim to be an expert on public transport systems, but you don't need to be to know that numbers could be irrelevant when talking about efficiency of a public transport system.
    Fair enough. I still believe it has got to the point on the London underground that it's logistically not possible for TFL to satisfy demand. Tunnels are small, trains are possibly (Not sure though) as regular as they can safely be etc.

Just to throw this one out there, how do you think the tube could realistically be improved?

ReputationRep:
    My bus always skip my route...so there is me standing waiting for a bus at half 7 am because thats the only time the bus ever come on time.

Don't even want to talk about the stupid train fare...
    I have a railcard and it cost a bomb to go to Nott :/

ReputationRep:
    Just because it has a better connection to the trafford centre, or Chorlton/Didsbury, does not mean a thing.
    Well it does, because that is the aim of public transport.
    and it half hour to get to the trafford centre by bus, when it is only 7 minutes down the road.
    Well of course it is going to take less time to drive somewhere than sit on a bus. You don't choose buses because of their lightning quick speed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ak56)
    I swear for the price you pay, and the sheer lack of quality of transport, British public transport must be some of the worst in Europe. Since most of the branch lines have been dismantled, the train network in this country leaves a lot to be desired, and is rubbish compared to France, Germany, Spain and Italy. Only the major towns are linked, and still even some major towns aren't on the network - this would be unthinkable in many countries. And also the rolling stock is absolutely ancient, we're using trains that many European countries scrapped years ago - so trains in the UK still have the doors you have to lean out the window and open from the outside, it's absurd.

Sadly, the bus system doesn't exactly fill in the blanks the railways miss either, coverage in rural areas is appauling to the extent many rural areas are completely inaccessable by public transport in their entirety - in Europe pretty much every settlement has some sort of bus service with the nearest town. In the UK it seems the bus service suffers from the same problems as the trains, you can get around town on them, and they link to the next town, but rural areas remain often completely unserved.

America is often critisized for its poor public transport, but I'd say British public transport is no better than American public transport. Public transports fairly good in London, as it is quite good in New York, but outside the major cities its patchy, irregular and not particularly extensive. Where American public transport redeems itself is despite not being particularly good, its cheap.

British public transport, despite being crap, still charges you an arm and a leg for crap, unextensive not particularly relyable service.
    Agreed until you got to American public transport. Ever travelled on Amtrak? Our trains are cheaper and faster by far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smalltownboy)
    Well it does, because that is the aim of public transport.

Well of course it is going to take less time to drive somewhere than sit on a bus. You don't choose buses because of their lightning quick speed.
    What about my auntie that lives in Wigan, part of Manchester, **** transport? Is that an aim of public transport? Is it?

It is only 7 minutes, and the bus takes half an hour. It is a farce.
    You don't get this in Austria, or Berlin, why in Manchester? Apparently, Manchester is a major European and a word city. So I hear, they can't get the transport right.

And the other thing, when I took the train, that never turns up on time, and is ****, the other day there were delays because someone decided to jump in a platform, making me delayed... and it did not help when I had to go to back to Preston, and it was snowing. We can't afford grit anymore. It is a joke.

ReputationRep:
    London Overground train at Harrow and Wealdstone 2 weeks ago I was trying to catch was cancelled 18 seconds before it's arrival time... :/

ReputationRep:
    LOL at the Londoners complaining about their public transport, which is lightyears ahead of public transport in virtually every other settlement in the UK. That said, public transport in Cardiff (ie the bus network) is very good, but I think that's down to a combination of a council owned bus company which has continued to invest on new buses, along with a city where the traffic is only bad at rush hour. Buses are regular (every 10 mins on most routes), not expensive (£3 a day, £14 a week, about £45 a month) and usually on time too. Add in the suburban rail network too, which is a better bet during peak times, and you have a pretty good system.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough. I still believe it has got to the point on the London underground that it's logistically not possible for TFL to satisfy demand. Tunnels are small, trains are possibly (Not sure though) as regular as they can safely be etc.

Just to throw this one out there, how do you think the tube could realistically be improved?
    Train frequency is dependent on signalling efficiency, which is currently being upgraded on the Jubilee and Northern lines. I'm lucky in that I get the DLR to work, which will have an extra car added soon and has plenty of room for increase frequency too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carl)
    LOL at the Londoners complaining about their public transport, which is lightyears ahead of public transport in virtually every other settlement in the UK. That said, public transport in Cardiff (ie the bus network) is very good, but I think that's down to a combination of a council owned bus company which has continued to invest on new buses, along with a city where the traffic is only bad at rush hour. Buses are regular (every 10 mins on most routes), not expensive (£3 a day, £14 a week, about £45 a month) and usually on time too. Add in the suburban rail network too, which is a better bet during peak times, and you have a pretty good system.
    Er being better than the rest of the country doesn't mean it's good :curious:

And I believe the thread refers to all of British transport being awful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)
    The tube is ****ing ridiculous.

The Northern Line (aka the most popular line) is due to be shut down on the weekend for 20 MONTHS.
    Well you cant have it always, the system was designed nearly 100 years ago to cope with the amount of people who used it at that time, it was upgraded in the 50's/60's and if you want it to keep working in 40 years time then they have to do maintance work.

I think TFL do a pretty good job in very very difficult conditions. They are working with an antiquated system - the oldest underground tube network in the world - being stretched to 2 or 3 times its design capacity. The engineering challenges to keep it running are huge, and thats before you try and update it with cooling systems or new trains etc.

My experience of London public transport is very good - admittedly I dont live there but stay in the middle of London frequently. You get the odd disruption, but its many many times better than public transport in the rest of the country. Every 2nd vehicle is a bus!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Depends what line really doesn't it. I regularly wait 10 minutes for a train on the Circle line.
    I hate the circle line, it has to be the worst line in existence, it's sooo slow.

ReputationRep:
    I don't travel a lot abroad or even to any other city in the UK actually but I do commute into Salford every day so maybe I have some experience. I've personally never had much of a problem with buses, I have to get two to work and two back on the weekends although prices have been slowly rising by about 10p every couple of months since I left secondary school.

The trains are ok, I have to say I commute about 3 hours every day and live a way outside of Manchester but could get to uni for 9 if I wanted. The thing that bothers me is the trains are absolutely filthy and so are the stations. I go to Manchester Victoria every day, it has been voted the worst train station in the UK and I can see why. It's an absolute cesspit. My train is also late about 50% of the time but only by about 5 mins so I suppose I can't complain too much

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.