Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riderz)
    Well you cant have it always, the system was designed nearly 100 years ago to cope with the amount of people who used it at that time, it was upgraded in the 50's/60's and if you want it to keep working in 40 years time then they have to do maintance work.

I think TFL do a pretty good job in very very difficult conditions. They are working with an antiquated system - the oldest underground tube network in the world - being stretched to 2 or 3 times its design capacity. The engineering challenges to keep it running are huge, and thats before you try and update it with cooling systems or new trains etc.

My experience of London public transport is very good - admittedly I dont live there but stay in the middle of London frequently. You get the odd disruption, but its many many times better than public transport in the rest of the country. Every 2nd vehicle is a bus!
    They could do the maintenence work at night like other networks/countries do:rolleyes:

And they're clearly incompetent when it comes to maintenence. It took them over a year to install an escalator in Bank for God's sake :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Who2004uk)

Anyway, the tube is sh*t hot
    Use the Parisian Metro then say that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)
    They could do the maintenence work at night like other networks/countries do:rolleyes:

And they're clearly incompetent when it comes to maintenence. It took them over a year to install an escalator in Bank for God's sake :facepalm:
    Do you not think it might take longer than 9 hours to get men onto the tracks, complete the job, and return the lines to working order? Maybe for a small job, yes, but in a 9 hour shift you might only get 4 or 5 hours to complete the actual work and leave enough safety margin to ensure the trains are able to run at 7am or whatever time the first ones are.

From an engineering perspective its not easy. If you dont do the work and a train de-rails or breaks down in the tunnels at 8am on a monday morning there would be a hell of a lot more disruption.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riderz)
    Do you not think it might take longer than 9 hours to get men onto the tracks, complete the job, and return the lines to working order? Maybe for a small job, yes, but in a 9 hour shift you might only get 4 or 5 hours to complete the actual work and leave enough safety margin to ensure the trains are able to run at 7am or whatever time the first ones are.

From an engineering perspective its not easy. If you dont do the work and a train de-rails or breaks down in the tunnels at 8am on a monday morning there would be a hell of a lot more disruption.
    Night-time 5 days a week > 9-5 on a weekend.

They should certainly be able to get away with a lot less closures (if any are needed at all) if they did this.

Quite frankly if they cannot manage maintaining the current system they should just bloody replace it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)
    Ever been to Japan? They seem to do it fine:rolleyes:
    Oh rly?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJKbLvU5kQM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0A9-oUoMug&NR=1

ReputationRep:
    Again I have never in this thread complained about over-crowding:rolleyes:

And that is a million times better than doing nothing at all (which is TFL's respose to over-crowding).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student2806)
    The HSTs (with slam-doors) on the ECML are some of the smoothest around to travel on. I'd take them every time over some of the new ones (Voyagers) with engines underneath each carriage, causing them to vibrate all the time they're moving. Travelling on a Voyager is like sitting on a machine machine
    New doesn't mean better. I'd rather travel on a spacious, comfortable old train with door handles than an uncomfortable, cramped new one with automatic doors.
    the other advantage to mk 3s is that they are vestibule stock so you don't get a gale blowing in every time the doors open ... whichever muppet decided the 185s on TPX needed 1/3 - 2/3 doors needs smacking repeated with large fish

slam doors is not a measure of sophistication ... after all aircraft are all 'slamdoor'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)
    Again I have never in this thread complained about over-crowding:rolleyes:

And that is a million times better than doing nothing at all (which is TFL's respose to over-crowding).
    Do you call those videos fine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smtn)
    Do you call those videos fine?
    I don't understand what I'm supposed to get out from that sentence

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)
    Don't get me started on TFL.
    The are pretty good :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    The are pretty good :confused:
    :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)
    there's only so much you can do in 4 and a bit hours ... which is the length of the overnight de-energised period on tube

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)
    Night-time 5 days a week > 9-5 on a weekend.

They should certainly be able to get away with a lot less closures (if any are needed at all) if they did this.

Quite frankly if they cannot manage maintaining the current system they should just bloody replace it.
    It takes a year to install very large escalators, which in London are typically essentially built into the structure of the station, they then have a much longer operating life than shorter escalators. Once again, it's a decision that was made 50+ years ago that TfL can't do a lot about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)
    :facepalm:
    Sorry coming from somwhere that you are lucky if your bus turns up within an hour of its expected time if at all being able to only have to wait 5-10 minutes whenever is bloody amazing.

I have only had 2 bad situations with the tube, one was bank on a weekend they were doing repairs and the platform and up the stairs was full and another on circle when someone had falen on the track.

They need the maintenance time, it is such an old system.

I actually don't mind British transport. It is quite expensive though.

ReputationRep:
    Buses in MK are pretty poor i have to admit, this week 3 of my buses have not turned up. Not to mention Arriva is a complete waste of space, both for pricing and for the buses/drivers themselves. =/

ReputationRep:
    Wait t'ill you use the French transport every day (not the metro , the RER) you'll just LOVE the british trains, I swear!

ReputationRep:
    ITT: some Londoners emphasising the anecdotal over the empirical, throwing ***** fits, thinking that they know better (:laugh: )

Ladies, remove the sand from your vagina.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr-breaker)
    ITT: some Londoners emphasising the anecdotal over the empirical, throwing ***** fits, thinking that they know better (:laugh:)

Ladies, remove the sand from your vagina.
    GTFO arsehole

Try living in London and paying an ever-increasing, extortionate amount for an ever-decreasing awful service.

ReputationRep:
    Public transport works for me!! I've got excellent bus links - but even better my towns on a local trainline - whic also connects to two major stations whic offer really fast acess from Edinburgh / Glasgow to London!

It's good

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.