Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    In Leeds it is actually cheaper for 2 people to get a taxi into town than it is to get the bus... how does that work? You'd think that, given that the bus carries 100 people, the economies of scale would allow them to drop the prices down to a reasonable level but they've put them up even more recently. Not only that but the drivers are also going on strike because they think they aren't being paid enough, so where is all that money leaking out to?

ReputationRep:
    Every time I’ve visited London I’ve been impressed by the service of the underground.

It’s far superior to Manchester’s crummy tram system (which isn’t exactly difficult), especially the Bury line, where you’re herded like human cattle by a swarm of Nazi Met inspectors at Victoria station. Have they gotten rid of that concentration camp/'human pen'/hunk of barriers yet?

Also, why on earth do you need more than 5 inspectors at one station? Surely it’d be better if they spread them out throughout the different lines, then maybe people would stop getting on trams without paying. Perhaps they have little faith in us North Mancunians and Buryians, can’t blame ‘em really. :p:

I swear the Eccles line gets preferential treatment; it was the first line to get the fancy new yellow trams, and it's not even the busiest line!
    *grumbles* :o:

ReputationRep:
    The worst is when the tube breaks down and you are sitting there in pitch black. Or when the buses break down. At least route masters didn't!!! I think we should bring them back...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr-breaker)
    ITT: some Londoners emphasising the anecdotal over the empirical, throwing ***** fits, thinking that they know better ( )

Ladies, remove the sand from your vagina.
    The emprical and anecdotal evidence seems to suggest you get a better service for less money abroad. In the Netherlands they register a train as late if it is over a minute, here it is 10 minutes, yet despite the larger time allowance we still have more trains. You can also travel anywhere in Amsterdam, on any form of transport, for about 2 euros a day if you live there. I visited Serbia, a virtually second world country, and they had better transport.

ReputationRep:
    Oh well... gives it character. Never knowing when a bus or train will come, and pretending to be 15 so that you don't have to pay obscene prices, it makes things interesting at least. And it gives us a chance to complain, you'd know we'd miss it if we couldn't.

ReputationRep:
    First Great Western trains are complete and utter *****!! they are always dirty and never on time. I can never reach out the window to open the freaking door!! >.<

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theblackphoenixcon)
    The worst is when the tube breaks down and you are sitting there in pitch black. Or when the buses break down. At least route masters didn't!!! I think we should bring them back...
    What, 40 year old buses never broke?
    Right.

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one that thinks the public transport system is ok?

I live in the countryside but I have a well-served train station a 15 minute walk from my house. It is very rare that the trains are late and the prices are comparable to other forms of transport in the area.

I would much rather take a train say, from Nottingham to Brighton than drive the equivalent distance (I do have a licence, but still choose public transport over the cost of owning a car). It's much more comfortable, I can do some work, read, sleep whatever, even browse the internet on some trains.

The public transport system could be a lot worse than it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)
    Ever been to Japan? They seem to do it fine:rolleyes:
    Not for me, it's all jam packed during peak hour. Although, the aisles are pretty clean as all the white-collars tend to groom themselves nicely before they board on a train (you do get smells sometimes, during evening peak hour)

I've never really been to London before, so I can't really comment much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arkbar)
    What, 40 year old buses never broke?
    Right.
    I'm not saying that! I realised that after I posted it looked like that but couldn't be bothered to change it. At least they looked nicer! And anyway, the buses break down whether they are new or old! I now realise that I didn't mean to put in "at least route masters didn't" I don't know what I was thinking :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)
    They could do the maintenence work at night like other networks/countries do:rolleyes:
    They do. It's when they make upgrades that it's closed for longer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apagg)
    They do. It's when they make upgrades that it's closed for longer
    Somehow I doubt an awful lot of work currently goes on there at night.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)
    Somehow I doubt an awful lot of work currently goes on there at night.
    What, on the underground?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Yes, public transport in Britain leaves a lot to be desired. If the places you want to go to are actually connected in some way, it'll cost you an arm and a leg to get there!

In my city (Aberdeen) the local bus company (Firstbus) decided to cut its student day ticket prices, meaning that students would have to pay 3.90 each day to use the bus (student day ticket). Now, after huge arguments, they've reintroduced the student day ticket, which is a more modest 2.60.

And then we have the railway lines. Mainly Thatcher's fault. In the north east of Scotland we used to have railway lines connecting all the small towns together but then they got privatised and subsequently pulled up and now the roads can be pretty congested and in bad state. They can't close them to repair them either because that would mean that rush hour traffic would have to be going down one lane country roads in some cases.

ReputationRep:
    The one qualm I have with the bus system is that the seats are really cramped and anyone over 5'8" cannot possibly fit comfortably in them, and considering that most bus journeys last 3-4 hours, traveling by bus can be a serious pain in the ass, literally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Arriva are the most useless ***** on this planet.
    No those ******* ticket gates at Leeds station are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanzeel)
    The one qualm I have with the bus system is that the seats are really cramped and anyone over 5'8" cannot possibly fit comfortably in them, and considering that most bus journeys last 3-4 hours, traveling by bus can be a serious pain in the ass, literally.
    what bus rides do you take?!

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm happy. I absolutely love buses. Like, properly love them.

Where I stay is quite rural but there are buses to Glasgow every half an hour which are usually on time, and run up til 20 to 11, which is ok, plus other buses to other villages nearby and small towns. But the best part is, I get a 10-journey ticket for £17 which is pretty good value anyway, but the drivers are really nice and hardly ever stamp your ticket, so you get more like 25 journeys! I've had my last 5 journeys (which is about 45 minutes) essentially completely free! :yep:

When I stayed in Glasgow it was even better. Sure they aren't always on time but at least there's plenty of alternative buses you could get if your first choice didn't turn up. Although anyone who's ever relied on the number 9 to get them to or from work has my sympathy, I used to and it really is shocking. But other than that, I could happily sit on the bus for hours every day. It's so relaxing

ReputationRep:
    Sorry people but you have ridiculous expectations on the whole, in particular with our train systems, the vast majority are based on infrastructures built a lot longer ago than say the Japanese high speed rail links.

I think the tube is excellent considering how long its been around. Whilst the northern lines proposed changes are obviously gonna mess up things up there has to be a certain degree of realism over the fact these repairs need to happen! Just because changes aren't always tangible to the normal tube user doesn't detract from the fact they may be essential.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ak56)
    I swear for the price you pay, and the sheer lack of quality of transport, British public transport must be some of the worst in Europe. and is rubbish compared to France, Germany, Spain and Italy.
    But it's not.

Have you been to any of those countries, used their transport?

Only the major towns are linked, and still even some major towns aren't on the network - this would be unthinkable in many countries.
    Hardly. Please name some of these countries.

And also the rolling stock is absolutely ancient, we're using trains that many European countries scrapped years ago - so trains in the UK still have the doors you have to lean out the window and open from the outside, it's absurd.
    And Europeans would never do such a thing... :blah:

in Europe pretty much every settlement has some sort of bus service with the nearest town.
    LIES.

America is often critisised for its poor public transport, but I'd say British public transport is no better than American public transport. Public transports fairly good in London, as it is quite good in New York, but outside the major cities its patchy, irregular and not particularly extensive. Where American public transport redeems itself is despite not being particularly good, its cheap.
    But thats because most Americans drive about in their bigs cars and wouldn't dream of walking or using public transport.

This whole argument is based on your opinions and assumptions.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.