Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by duracell)
    Ok, so for your £72 a month what you REALLY want is a personalised tube carriage that is completely free for your use only.

You've accepted that you don't have a choice about when you travel because of 9am lectures, everyone knows that rush hour is hell, it's your choice to not get on tubes (if I REALLY had to get to uni.. I would just get on anyway).. so.. why exactly are you complaining?

Also... trains to Auschwitz didn't have seats.
    No, I don't want it to be free for me only, idiot, I just want to be able to catch it and to be able to sit down, or if not at least be able to move.

It's not my choice not to get on the tube, I live in West London, my uni is in East London. Unless you consider a 2 hour (in traffic) bus alternative as a 'choice'. And I can't 'just get on anyway' when there's 30 people in front of me on the platform pushing ahead.

And no **** trains to Auschwitz didn't have seats, the tube may as well not have any at rush hour, considering most people will be unable to sit down and it's just as crowded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe Lester)
    No those ******* ticket gates at Leeds station are.
    Disagree. They can only be working or broken. Arriva can be working, not working, maybe working, not sure if they're working, late, early, not coming at all, going an alternate route without telling anyone and won't tell you anything and even if they did, it's useless info.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ak56)
    I swear for the price you pay, and the sheer lack of quality of transport, British public transport must be some of the worst in Europe. Since most of the branch lines have been dismantled, the train network in this country leaves a lot to be desired, and is rubbish compared to France, Germany, Spain and Italy. Only the major towns are linked, and still even some major towns aren't on the network - this would be unthinkable in many countries. And also the rolling stock is absolutely ancient, we're using trains that many European countries scrapped years ago - so trains in the UK still have the doors you have to lean out the window and open from the outside, it's absurd.

Sadly, the bus system doesn't exactly fill in the blanks the railways miss either, coverage in rural areas is appauling to the extent many rural areas are completely inaccessable by public transport in their entirety - in Europe pretty much every settlement has some sort of bus service with the nearest town. In the UK it seems the bus service suffers from the same problems as the trains, you can get around town on them, and they link to the next town, but rural areas remain often completely unserved.

America is often critisized for its poor public transport, but I'd say British public transport is no better than American public transport. Public transports fairly good in London, as it is quite good in New York, but outside the major cities its patchy, irregular and not particularly extensive. Where American public transport redeems itself is despite not being particularly good, its cheap.

British public transport, despite being crap, still charges you an arm and a leg for crap, unextensive not particularly relyable service.
    i swear your the same guy I have seen moaning about how people moan about this country?!

yes it sucks sometimes but i think what you were saying about europe is either misguided or you completely fabricated it. It is no possible to link EVERY small settlement and we are one of a few countries to have a underground system. If you dont like it maybe you should visit europe and see how poor it is in other countries.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's ok but that's probably cos I live in Nottingham and we get trent barton.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah Arriva are a ******* bag of ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Disagree. They can only be working or broken. Arriva can be working, not working, maybe working, not sure if they're working, late, early, not coming at all, going an alternate route without telling anyone and won't tell you anything and even if they did, it's useless info.
    Fair enough...I don't use Arriva. Those ticket machines are dire though, it was better when you shoved it in an unfreindly mans face...I swear those ticket things require about 10 staff around them and 80% just spit the ticket out - try using them when running for a train, there isn't much more annoying than being late, not accepting your ticket because of a microscopic dent and then having to wait behind 15 other people waiting for one guy to study every single ticket. Bloody things make me miss trains :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Quit yer yappin. Least you don't have a monopoly like over here. Translink can charge whatever they like because there's no alternative. Their services have improved though I must admit.

ReputationRep:
    They should take a leaf out of the Dutch's book

ReputationRep:
    I hate first bus drivers,
    they have one hell of an attitude and their crummy buses are usually late.

Prefer stagecoach tbh.

ReputationRep:
    While reading this just found out the trains are cancelled all weekend where i live. Goodbye life.

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't believe it when I found that loads of smaller towns and villages around here used to have train lines running right through them..it would've been so much easier to get around! I'm so ridiculously lucky to have just 3 buses a day into the nearest town going right past my house when I live in the absolute middle of nowhere.

Hooray for my car having its MOT and road tax sorted next week. <3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe Lester)
    Fair enough...I don't use Arriva. Those ticket machines are dire though, it was better when you shoved it in an unfreindly mans face...I swear those ticket things require about 10 staff around them and 80% just spit the ticket out - try using them when running for a train, there isn't much more annoying than being late, not accepting your ticket because of a microscopic dent and then having to wait behind 15 other people waiting for one guy to study every single ticket. Bloody things make me miss trains :mad:
    TBF, I don't use the trains much in Leeds (and if I do, I get on at Burley Park). Both sound equally annoying tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colour Me Pretty)
    I hate first bus drivers,
    they have one hell of an attitude and their crummy buses are usually late.

Prefer stagecoach tbh.
    Don't get me started on first!

The bus I was meant to be catching never even turned up, the next one was 20 mins late (so waiting 75 mins by the time it got there). When it finally started to move to leave the station, it CRASHED INTO ANOTHER BUS BEFORE EVEN LEAVING THE STATION, and the driver just told us to get off the bus and wait for another one. There wasn't a replacement bus, just the next bus almost an hour later. AND they tried to make me pay again because my return ticket had been punched on the first bus.

I would rather (and on occaisions actually have) walk the 8 mile journey which seems to take the bus an hour and costs £3. Took me just over 2 hours, after the first bus didnt turn up, and I think I actually arrived into town about 15 minutes later than the next bus which I would've got.

</rant>

ReputationRep:
    I use south west trains twice a day, 5/6 times a week and while it's expensive they rarely seem to have problems, although when they do then they crumble and it's chaos. Plus in the past few years they scrapped all their old stock meaning the majority of it's new.

I don't use buses unless I have to so don't really know how good they are :o:

If you think the UK is bad for transport go to non-city CA and it's about 10 times worst

ReputationRep:
    Compared to First Crapital Connect, TFL is a dream. FCC is a joke. Season tickets cost ~£280 per month for the honour of standing on a disgusting train, that's if the train hasn't been cancelled with no warning. Between Dec 09 and Jan 2010 61% of their trains were 'less than 5 minutes late'. Grrrr

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)
    Have you ever had to wait for the circle line? DON'T YOU ****ING TELL ME THEY COME EVERY 5 MINUTES LIKE ****ING CLOCKWORK.

Oh and then there was last Sunday where a signal failure meant I was stuck on the Northern Line for 45 minutes without moving more than 10 metres.

Oh and then there was two days ago when I was stuck on the circle line for 20 minutes making me late to uni.

Oh and then there were the tube strikes a few months ago which meant I was 3 hours late for work.

The tube network is the most unreliable and expensive of its kind in Europe. I have used subways in the US, Spain (a lot), France and Argentina and never not once heard of these kind of delays. Oh and WTF is up with signal failures? You'd have thought they'd have replaced them or come up with a better system by now:rolleyes:

OH and let's not forget that while OTHER underground networks carry out maintenence at night, or (like in New York) have two tracks side-by-side to enable a 24 hour service alongside maintenence, TFL insists on closing down ENTIRE lines on the WEEKEND. Christ knows how much money TFL has cost the economy.

As for the 20 month northern line weekend closures, my point is that THEY HAVE BEEN REQUESTED. And out of a proposed 58 weekend closures, 16 haven't been questioned. If you want a source read a ****ing newspaper (oh and the one I read was the Evening Standard not the Metro) :rolleyes:

Only at weekends.

Apparently on some parts of the Northern Line they're also shutting down early (at 10pm) during the week too.
    So you complain that the tube lines are unable to run effectively, and that the signals should be replaced but you're annoyed when they close down the lines to do maintainence work? Replacing signals isn't simply an overnight job, it is fairly complicated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Mortell)
    So you complain that the tube lines are unable to run effectively, and that the signals should be replaced but you're annoyed when they close down the lines to do maintainence work? Replacing signals isn't simply an overnight job, it is fairly complicated.
    I wouldn't mind if they closed down to do work which would guarantee a more efficient service with less need for weekend closures:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    bummer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Well for like £18 a week (which is subsidised, I don't even pay adult fees which are £25) I expect a decent and regular service which I can actually catch in the morning (sometimes I have to miss 3 tubes on the Central line before I can pick one, they're so packed). Also, I don't appreciate paying £72 a month to be trapped on a tube in the morning more crowded then a sodding train to Auscwitz. I don't have a choice about when I travel, I can't avoid rush hour, I have 9AM lectures.

Normally (weekdays) from Queens Park on Bakerloo to Oxford circus, then Central line to Mile end, takes 45/50 minutes. Last time I tried it there was loads of stops closed, train wouldn't go to Mile end etc.. etc.. took me an hour and a half. I give up, some weekends it's fine, some it's total ****.
    How would you suggest TfL stop people using the Central Line in the morning?
    Trains on it are automated and so the minimum gap between trains is about as low as it can go, the trains are as big as they can get into the tunnels. Would you like them to move the locations of where everyone works and lives in London so you can sit down while travelling at the busiest time on the busiest line in an extremely dense city?

(Original post by paddy)
    or (like in New York) have two tracks side-by-side to enable a 24 hour service alongside maintenence
    Ignoring the fact that NY actually runs a lower frequency service than the underground and was built later, where would you like to fit the additional two tracks?

ReputationRep:
    The public transport in London is amazing compared to that in Birmingham. The buses here are terrible, theres loads of brands but the drivers all speak Polish, they smell disgusting (yes, the drivers themselves) and the buses are loud and dirty. As well as being slow and always late. Theres a bus I can get home which comes every hour! I then have a half an hour walk, I can be dropped on my road, theres 3 of those buses everyday.

The people in London have it easy, even if the tube was amazing always on time and cheap, people would still moan - public transport will never be perfect.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.