Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Well, I dunno about the Germans, but the French rail system is in much worse shape than ours. Yes the TGV is pretty much almost always on time and so on, but thats the TGV. NOT the rest of the french rail network. Taken as a whole, its a lot worse than ours, a lot less punctual, and the average age of the rolling stock is older.

Yes our rail system is worse that Germanys, and def wworse than the Japanese. But France? You must be joking.

ReputationRep:
    british transport is great. Just the price is at wtf levels, I´m in Quito at the moment (Ecuador) and the buses cost 25 cents.

Edit: The German underground is the best I´ve seen

ReputationRep:
    People moaning about TFL make me laugh. Do you have any idea how much easier it is to get around London than anywhere else in the country?

Train services will probably always be inferior because of the type of tracks we use. We use smaller guage tracks than the rest of Europe, with the result that our trains can't go as fast and can't be as big. And Op, you seriously overstate the availability of public transport in Europe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacketpotato)
    Train services will probably always be inferior because of the type of tracks we use. We use smaller guage tracks than the rest of Europe, with the result that our trains can't go as fast and can't be as big. And Op, you seriously overstate the availability of public transport in Europe.
    It's not a gauge issue, Shinkansen uses standard gauge as does the Spanish High-Speed network. It's to do with a number of things:
    1. Age of original network
    2. Geography of Britain, mixed in with population density and settlement spacing
    3. Horrible ownership structure
    4. Weird idiosyncrasies from being an old network.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacketpotato)
    People moaning about TFL make me laugh. Do you have any idea how much easier it is to get around London than anywhere else in the country?
    I believe the answer is:
    We live in London so don't give a **** about transport in the rest of the UK

It's ridiculously expensive for the comparatively poor service we get compared to OTHER EUROPEAN COUNTRIES (in bold because apparently you can't read) :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I've no complaints about Scotrail, although that might be cause I never have to pay for tickets thanks to my train driver dad :P

If I'm going into town I usually get the bus, First Glasgow, and the service is pretty good here, on weekdays and Saturdays there's buses every ten minutes or so cause my village is on a dual carriageway. It's a bit expensive, yeah, I try and get away with child tickets if I can, but generally I'm not complaining.

I didn't notice the RER trains in Paris being any faster or more punctual than the trains here, I liked the Metro more than the Glasgow underground but only because it wasn't all orange, cream and brown.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)
    I believe the answer is:
    Damn straight!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)
    GTFO arsehole

Take 2 and call me in the morning child.

Try living in London and paying an ever-increasing, extortionate amount for an ever-decreasing awful service.
    Zone 1 Tube fare in 2010 - £1.60
    Zone 1 Tube fare in 2000 - £1.60

Source

Oh and I should point out that where I grew up my nearest tube station was closed for EIGHT years, because they didn't have/want to spend the money on replacing the lifts. Did we moan like *****es? NO! We just walked 5-10 minutes to the next station down the line.............

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    The emprical and anecdotal evidence seems to suggest you get a better service for less money abroad.
    sampling bias ftw

I visited Serbia, a virtually second world country, and they had better transport.
    Than London? I doubt that very much. I'd have to go and see for myself before I make judgement though....................

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr-breaker)

Take 2 and call me in the morning child.

Zone 1 Tube fare in 2010 - £1.60
    Zone 1 Tube fare in 2000 - £1.60

Source

Oh and I should point out that where I grew up my nearest tube station was closed for EIGHT years, because they didn't have/want to spend the money on replacing the lifts. Did we moan like *****es? NO! We just walked 5-10 minutes to the next station down the line.............
    :rolleyes:
    It's ****ing expensive compared to other countries, ESPECIALLY when you go farther than zone 2 (there are more than 2 zones you know):rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)
    I believe the answer is:

It's ridiculously expensive for the comparatively poor service we get compared to OTHER EUROPEAN COUNTRIES (in bold because apparently you can't read) :yep:
    And apparently you don't understand the difference between capitals and bold...

The tube and TFL in general is actually considerably cheaper than trains in other European countries. See http://www.ratp.fr/ for Paris metro prices - click the UK flag at the top right and click rates. Though admittedly mainline UK services are probably more expensive than European mainline services.

ReputationRep:
    If I have to talk about Magic Buses in Manchester, I may just explode.

It is the prices more than the service which are most damaging.

ReputationRep:
    Malta's is great!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lauren--c)
    I've no complaints about Scotrail, although that might be cause I never have to pay for tickets thanks to my train driver dad :P

If I'm going into town I usually get the bus, First Glasgow, and the service is pretty good here, on weekdays and Saturdays there's buses every ten minutes or so cause my village is on a dual carriageway. It's a bit expensive, yeah, I try and get away with child tickets if I can, but generally I'm not complaining.

I didn't notice the RER trains in Paris being any faster or more punctual than the trains here, I liked the Metro more than the Glasgow underground but only because it wasn't all orange, cream and brown.
    I agree, ScotRail is pretty good. The trains are clean, services efficient and the prices are fairly reasonable, considering the fact that a lot of services are rural and cover long distances.

The Subway is OK here. It certainly makes things easy, although it needs a major modernisation at some point. Hopefully the creme colour scheme goes when the rest of SPT goes blue and white with Transport Scotland. Fingers crossed anyway.

ReputationRep:
    London's public transport is lightyears ahead of the rest of the country - we're still plodding around on 2 carriage trains that look like they were made out of an old bus :mad:

However, people moaning about the slam-door HSTs, they're still better than just about any other train in the country today, they're quiet and have a smooth ride the seats line up with the windows, but they are due for replacement soon given they've been going since 1975. Have you ever travelled on a Pendolino? They're cramped, claustrophobic and very few seats have windows.

The Underground is over 100 years old, of course it'll be crowded, the Victorians would never have envisaged the amount of people commuting into London this far ahead.

(Original post by 4G_dollars)
    You try and get the bus down to Preston, and lets hope you don't try commit suicide. It is a joke.
    My aunty live in Wigan, she drives. Wigan is part of Manchester, the service from Wigan to Manchester is a lot to be desired. In fact it is ****.

Just because it has a better connection to the trafford centre, or Chorlton/Didsbury, does not mean a thing. Apparently, they are every 5 minutes, I worked out last time, it is every 20 minutes, and it half hour to get to the trafford centre by bus, when it is only 7 minutes down the road.
    Preston Bus will be independent again in a few weeks, hopefully Stagecoach Scumroach will see sense and bugger off

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ak56)
    I swear for the price you pay, and the sheer lack of quality of transport, British public transport must be some of the worst in Europe. Since most of the branch lines have been dismantled, the train network in this country leaves a lot to be desired, and is rubbish compared to France, Germany, Spain and Italy. Only the major towns are linked, and still even some major towns aren't on the network - this would be unthinkable in many countries. And also the rolling stock is absolutely ancient, we're using trains that many European countries scrapped years ago - so trains in the UK still have the doors you have to lean out the window and open from the outside, it's absurd.

Sadly, the bus system doesn't exactly fill in the blanks the railways miss either, coverage in rural areas is appauling to the extent many rural areas are completely inaccessable by public transport in their entirety - in Europe pretty much every settlement has some sort of bus service with the nearest town. In the UK it seems the bus service suffers from the same problems as the trains, you can get around town on them, and they link to the next town, but rural areas remain often completely unserved.

America is often critisized for its poor public transport, but I'd say British public transport is no better than American public transport. Public transports fairly good in London, as it is quite good in New York, but outside the major cities its patchy, irregular and not particularly extensive. Where American public transport redeems itself is despite not being particularly good, its cheap.

British public transport, despite being crap, still charges you an arm and a leg for crap, unextensive not particularly relyable service.
    Your mum''s awful, and your mum's cheap!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)
    :rolleyes:
    It's ****ing expensive compared to other countries, ESPECIALLY when you go farther than zone 2 (there are more than 2 zones you know):rolleyes:
    Do you have any sources? Since you are only willing to throw up insults and rolleyes icons in lieu of actually presenting an argument, let's compare.

Weekly all zones travel pass in Paris - 37,60€
    Weekly all zones pass in London - £33.30.................or 38,14€

Wow. Expensive.

Why is a guy who probably got to London 5 minutes ago trying to patronise a guy who has been using London Transport before he was born?

Also:
    Zone 6 - Zone 1 in 2010 - £2.40 (off peak)
    Zone 6 - Zone 1 in 1991 - £2.30

And if you are a student a 1-6 travel card costs almost exactly the same amount in 1991 as it does today in real terms.

ReputationRep:
    We would have better ones, if we didn't start protesting over every major investments

or go on strike etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student2806)
    The Subway is OK here. It certainly makes things easy, although it needs a major modernisation at some point. Hopefully the creme colour scheme goes when the rest of SPT goes blue and white with Transport Scotland. Fingers crossed anyway.
    Yeah, it's the easiest way to get to the west end anyway, unless you want to walk. I didn't even know SPT was changing, blue and white will be much better.

ReputationRep:
    which is why I cycle nearly everywhere!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.