Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Public transport in Newcastle is quite possibly the best I've ever experienced, so I don't think it's quite right to say that ALL British transport is awful! The only delays on the metro that i've really experienced here, were when there was 8 inches of snow on the tracks! And even then, they ran, but just at a reduced service (ie. every 10 mins instead of every 3/4mins)
    Seems that most people are just complaining about London on here, which is a really old system and serves way more people than it was designed for, so what do people expect!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Mysterious Lord)
    London's public transport is lightyears ahead of the rest of the country - we're still plodding around on 2 carriage trains that look like they were made out of an old bus :mad:

However, people moaning about the slam-door HSTs, they're still better than just about any other train in the country today, they're quiet and have a smooth ride the seats line up with the windows, but they are due for replacement soon given they've been going since 1975. Have you ever travelled on a Pendolino? They're cramped, claustrophobic and very few seats have windows.

The Underground is over 100 years old, of course it'll be crowded, the Victorians would never have envisaged the amount of people commuting into London this far ahead.

Preston Bus will be independent again in a few weeks, hopefully Stagecoach Scumroach will see sense and bugger off
    Whaty will happen to the X61 service? I only get it because it goes past the house sort of...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr-breaker)
    Why is a guy who probably got to London 5 minutes ago trying to patronise a guy who has been using London Transport before he was born?
    :facepalm:
    Born in London almost 23 years ago :awesome:

As for the rest you can kiss my ass. Your argument that there are places worse off is irrelevant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    I will well and truly second that.
    I use Arriva bus service and have been for the last year and three months or so.

They are just about competent at the best of times, but the amount of times they have ****** up or been useless is endless.

Even in good weather they are like that, so can you imagine what it was like when the snow and ice came?
    They're not too bad round the watford area. Just crap when it comes to Ice and Snow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samus2)
    They're not too bad round the watford area. Just crap when it comes to Ice and Snow
    That is where I get it from in the mornings, I get the bus all the way up to Northern Hertfordshire.

Do you get it too?

ReputationRep:
    agree its so ****, i just find certain tubes dirty and filthy too

ReputationRep:
    That is where I get it from in the mornings, I get the bus all the way up to Northern Hertfordshire.

Do you get it too?
    I get it to work thursday nights, saturdays and sunday mornings into Watford from South Oxhey if you know it?

I much prefer the Overground or underground but both are a 30-40 minute walk from my house compared to a bus stop five minutes down my road >.< haha.

Are you from the watford area?

ReputationRep:
    Hi I suppose u have never seen public means of transport in Poland:p: it's terrible...buses are usually filthy and sooo crowded...

ReputationRep:
    I get it to work thursday nights, saturdays and sunday mornings into Watford from South Oxhey if you know it?

I much prefer the Overground or underground but both are a 30-40 minute walk from my house compared to a bus stop five minutes down my road >.< haha.

Are you from the watford area?
    I know Watford and South Oxhey (sadly.)

I live just outside Watford.

Your lucky, really your bus route doesn't take long, and if it doesn't show up there are other ways to get there.

I work in Welwyn Garden City, and there is only really one bus that goes from Watford Junction that goes that far. When that doesn't turn up or if it's late then your ******.

And since it's Arriva that pretty much run those buses, many times I am.

ReputationRep:
    I know Watford and South Oxhey (sadly.)

I live just outside Watford.

Your lucky, really your bus route doesn't take long, and if it doesn't show up there are other ways to get there.

I work in Welwyn Garden City, and there is only really one bus that goes from Watford Junction that goes that far. When that doesn't turn up or if it's late then your ******.

And since it's Arriva that pretty much run those buses, many times I am.
    Aye, it's about 10 minutes on a good day. 20 if there's traffic and they tend to be on time. I've got the 8 and the 1 right by me.
    Is there no other easy way to get to Welwyn?

ReputationRep:
    Aye, it's about 10 minutes on a good day. 20 if there's traffic and they tend to be on time. I've got the 8 and the 1 right by me.
    Is there no other easy way to get to Welwyn?
    Well there is a way to get the train. I'd have to go from Watford Junction by train into London, whichever station a train from Watford Junction into London takes you to. Then I would have to go to Kings Cross, then get a train from Kings Cross to WGC train station. And then from the train station to work it's a 25 minute walk.

Whereas the bus costs £7 for a return (which is still steep even if I do only work three times a week) takes me from the bus station at Watford Junction to a bus stop in Welwyn, from there it's a 5 minute walk to work.

Plus going by train is more expensive, by an extra £3 perhaps (roughly.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kasia6)
    Hi I suppose u have never seen public means of transport in Poland:p: it's terrible...buses are usually filthy and sooo crowded...
    Maybe you should get on some of the buses round here I'll use the 60 as an example which is littered with chicken bones , chips , chicken boxes , drink bottles , The stink of piss and ****.

If its worse then that then well.....

ReputationRep:
    I'm from rural lincolnshire... therefore the public transport in Birmingham is AMAZING. Buses every 15 minutes instead of one every 1 1/3 hours until 5.30 when they stop. You know there are some buses here that run ALL night, its incredible!

Those in London complaining about public transport, try living in the rural parts of the country.

ReputationRep:
    When i get on the buses i suddenly feel like punching everybody on it.

I never had a problem with the bus system in london (peckham) because everything i needed was walking distance or a 10 minute bus ride.

Now i've moved to essex i've never been so pissed off with the transport system. Notthing where i live is walking distance you need a car or bus to get just about anywhere important.
    Plus i'm quite tall so theres only two seats that fit my legs.

By may, God willing i will be driving in my car where i can feel free to fart, sing and dance, then look at the suckers sitting in that junk infested fat peice of metal on wheels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rmyl)
    Public transport in Newcastle is quite possibly the best I've ever experienced, so I don't think it's quite right to say that ALL British transport is awful! The only delays on the metro that i've really experienced here, were when there was 8 inches of snow on the tracks! And even then, they ran, but just at a reduced service (ie. every 10 mins instead of every 3/4mins)
    I agree. I've never had a problem with the Metro, apart from the one time that some prat vandalised the cables at Pelaw. :rolleyes:

The public transport in Bristol is a different matter. The buses are rubbish and rarely on time and Worst Late Western is just appalling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)
    Somehow I doubt an awful lot of work currently goes on there at night.
    Well, I don't know what to tell you or all the maintenance workers who conduct the work then. Suffice to say that if regular maintenance work was not carried out at night the Tube would be far more dangerous

ReputationRep:
    Well there is a way to get the train. I'd have to go from Watford Junction by train into London, whichever station a train from Watford Junction into London takes you to. Then I would have to go to Kings Cross, then get a train from Kings Cross to WGC train station. And then from the train station to work it's a 25 minute walk.

Whereas the bus costs £7 for a return (which is still steep even if I do only work three times a week) takes me from the bus station at Watford Junction to a bus stop in Welwyn, from there it's a 5 minute walk to work.

Plus going by train is more expensive, by an extra £3 perhaps (roughly.)
    Ah that's quite irritating. Makes more sense to get the bus for you unfortunately!
    Have you always been near watford?

ReputationRep:
    Public transport in Leicester is . . . passable. Arriva runs a ton of bus services going everywhere and then some, and they generally run on time with some nice buses - none too old. The trains are OK - they don't go many places [you can go north or south, or to some tiny local villages] and the station is garbage [dirty, smelly, no ticket barriers, inundated with idiotic staff, ancient platforms], but the trains themselves are services on the midland mainline, so are usually pretty decent.

I'm in two minds about London's public transport. On the one hand, you can go practically anywhere in the city within a few minutes if you know what you're doing and you pick a good time to go. On the other - the tube is literally unbearable on a summer's day. On top of that, the overground trains are generally rubbish, and the staff in all London stations need to take some lessons in customer service, FFS. Buses are OK, and the trams in South London are fun and usually punctual. Fortunately I spend virtually no time in London getting from A to B these days, as I can just take the HS1 to St. Pancras, and then the Midland Mainline from St. Pancras to Leicester. Don't even have to leave the only decent station in London. I'd say that's a pretty good deal

Public transport in my home town is above average, but we are served by the Eurostar/HS1, and if I miss a bus then it's not like I can't just walk anyway. Southeastern trains are OK, and our local Stagecoach has recently improved drastically, although there's STILL not a bus to the bloody cinema!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherrycola32)
    what bus rides do you take?!
    National Express and Megabus.

ReputationRep:
    Have you always been near watford?
    No I was born in Hammersmith and raised in Harrow, then I lived in various other places until settling where I am about 7 or 8 years ago.

What about you?

You Watford born and bred?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.