Turn on thread page Beta

Is my right lung collapsing? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure there are lots of students here who study medicine or biology and so I am hoping they might be able to help me with this.

I really want to avoid going to the doctor because I've spent to much time in hospital recently and I think if I do go he will send me to a hospital even if he doesn't think its a major problem just to make sure nothing is wrong. Once I'm there they will do all the same tests as before and it will be an extremely unpleasant and stressful few hours. So what I'm basically saying is that if I choose to go to the doctor it will be more than a simple check up.

I should say that I had an operation a few months ago not involving the lungs, but while I was in hospital my right lung did partially collapse and it had to be treated. A week or so after coming out of hospital the same lung partially collapsed again because of fluid in it which had to be drained out. However once this situation was resolved I was told that my lungs were fine and normal, although I briefly discussed the issue of swine flu with one of the consultants and he said that if I did get swine flu I would likely have to come into hospital and have proper treatment.

I haven't had any problems since then which was around 4 months ago until now. The last few days I have been getting a little bit breathless and I would say although it seemed to have gotten better yesterday, last night I couldn't sleep on my left side [Because it requires the right lung to do more of the work] as it made my breathing a little uncomfortable. Today I am a little breathless again and had some flem in my throat when I woke up. Other than that I have just been feeling some tiredness over the last few days.

My lung capacity is at its normal level and I am not coughing either.

What are peoples views. Do you think I have a little chest infection that will pass or should I see a doctor?
    Are there any key indicators of a more serious problem? Such as dramatically decreased lung capacity or some sort of pain.

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather go to the hospital. Better safe than sorry.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, i know you've been in hospital alot recently.. but wouldn't you rather catch it before it gets too bad if it is something serious.

ReputationRep:
    Well your both right but after talking with my mum its been decided that we will wait and see what happens over the weekend. I think it will be fine but my only concern is that it might be something like pneumonia but I don't think any of my symptoms are sufficiently bad for that to be the case.

ReputationRep:
    How can you take anything people on TSR say seriously, you don't even know if anyone is qualified.

Go see a doctor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DDSVP1)
    I'm sure there are lots of students here who study medicine or biology and so I am hoping they might be able to help me with this.

I really want to avoid going to the doctor because I've spent to much time in hospital recently and I think if I do go he will send me to a hospital even if he doesn't think its a major problem just to make sure nothing is wrong. Once I'm there they will do all the same tests as before and it will be an extremely unpleasant and stressful few hours. So what I'm basically saying is that if I choose to go to the doctor it will be more than a simple check up.

I should say that I had an operation a few months ago not involving the lungs, but while I was in hospital my right lung did partially collapse and it had to be treated. A week or so after coming out of hospital the same lung partially collapsed again because of fluid in it which had to be drained out. However once this situation was resolved I was told that my lungs were fine and normal, although I briefly discussed the issue of swine flu with one of the consultants and he said that if I did get swine flu I would likely have to come into hospital and have proper treatment.

I haven't had any problems since then which was around 4 months ago until now. The last few days I have been getting a little bit breathless and I would say although it seemed to have gotten better yesterday, last night I couldn't sleep on my left side [Because it requires the right lung to do more of the work] as it made my breathing a little uncomfortable. Today I am a little breathless again and had some flem in my throat when I woke up. Other than that I have just been feeling some tiredness over the last few days.

My lung capacity is at its normal level and I am not coughing either.

What are peoples views. Do you think I have a little chest infection that will pass or should I see a doctor?
    Are there any key indicators of a more serious problem? Such as dramatically decreased lung capacity or some sort of pain.
    shortness of breath..could be possibly Pulmonary hypertension or some sort of edema.....GO TO YOUR DOCTOR...especially since you have an history of lung problem....could be serious...GO TO THE DOCTOR NOW

ReputationRep:
    I had a small pneumothorax in my right lung (i assume this is what you had before) which was found when I went for an appointment to try to sort out long-term breathlessness. It fixed itself as they often do and wasn't responsible for the breathlessness (as it remained after the pneumothorax had gone) and I didn't even know until it was found on X-ray (my lung capacity was fine too) so it's possible you do have a pneumothorax (once you've had one you're more susceptible to them) but if it's small and causing no major problems it will quite possibly heal itself. However if it does get worse, go to a doc!

ReputationRep:
    my mate has had lung collapsing issues the last few years. he's in hospital at the moment recovering from an operation which will supposedly fix it permanently. he's had a **** few weeks. don't risk it, go to your doctor asap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DDSVP1)
    Well your both right but after talking with my mum its been decided that we will wait and see what happens over the weekend. I think it will be fine but my only concern is that it might be something like pneumonia but I don't think any of my symptoms are sufficiently bad for that to be the case.
    Good idea. Also you don't really want to go to a place full of sick people where the viruses roam unless you really have to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dinkymints)
    I had a small pneumothorax in my right lung (i assume this is what you had before) which was found when I went for an appointment to try to sort out long-term breathlessness. It fixed itself as they often do and wasn't responsible for the breathlessness (as it remained after the pneumothorax had gone) and I didn't even know until it was found on X-ray (my lung capacity was fine too) so it's possible you do have a pneumothorax (once you've had one you're more susceptible to them) but if it's small and causing no major problems it will quite possibly heal itself. However if it does get worse, go to a doc!
    Yeah thats exactly what I had and thats a good point about it healing itself. I have already started redoing all the lung exercises and various things I had to do after leaving hospital so hopefully these will allow it to sort itself.

ReputationRep:
    Hospitals = make you better. GO TO HOSPITAL. How ridiculous if you've had a history of it and refused to go, what if it got a whole load worse all of a sudden, you'd be in there for even longer. Dont be stupid and go!

(Original post by int_applicant)
    shortness of breath..could be possibly Pulmonary hypertension or some sort of edema.....GO TO YOUR DOCTOR...especially since you have an history of lung problem....could be serious...GO TO THE DOCTOR NOW
    Except for the 'go se your doctor' this is an utterly stupid post.
    pulmonary hypertension, 'edema'. Do you even know what these mean?

OP - go to your GP or your local A&E. If you go to A&E get up early and arrive for about 8am. It'll be at its most quiet then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)

OP - go to your GP or your local A&E. If you go to A&E get up early and arrive for about 8am. It'll be at its most quiet then.
    troll.....yes i know what they all mean and he is showing symptoms of all....these are possibilities.......further test might be required.....lol......\i dont have anything to say to u

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)

Except from those comments, ur response was a stupid rude response....I guess we are both stupid?

troll.....yes i know what they all mean and he is showing symptoms of all....these are possibilities.......further test might be required.....lol......\i dont have anything to say to u
    Might be required?
    You are talking about pulmonary hypertension and say tests MIGHT be required?

Why do people open their gobs when clearly they haven't a clue?
    All you do is make yourself look a jackass and unduly worry the poster.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    Might be required?
    You are talking about pulmonary hypertension and say tests MIGHT be required?

Why do people open their gobs when clearly they haven't a clue?
    All you do is make yourself look a jackass and unduly worry the poster.
    A Pulmonary Function Tests..also known as PFTs might be needed to confirm pulmonary hypertension....CT scan/x-rays might help confirm a pulmonary edema......u are obviously dumb......I have nothing to say to you....we cant communicate cos we are on different levels...........Go back to school....dumbass....plus u sound very frustrated.....did u girl dump u?...;p;

ReputationRep:
    sry about the typo by the way..since u might not comprehend what i am trying to say..lol....

ReputationRep:
    the key symptom he is experiencing is shortness of breath...this shows problems with cardiovascular and respiratory systems....so the diagnosis i mentioned earlier are possible causes....but again....TESTS are needed to confirm this....lol... JAMIEEEEEEEE.......

......u are obviously dumb......I have nothing to say to you....we cant communicate cos we are on different levels...........Go back to school....dumbass....plus u sound very frustrated.....did u girl dump u?...;p;
    :rolleyes:
    Thank you for clarifying matters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    :rolleyes:
    Might be required?
    You are welcome....you know what a wise man once told me?....Silence sometimes help hide our ignorance in life......maybe u could learn from that? the moment u quoted my first response, your ignorance became apparent...try to hide it by keeping your mouth shut when u are around people....:rolleyes:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.