Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Not sure about this but i probaly already know the answer: My application was approved and my first instalment was recieved of £260 which it says Payee - Student. Is this my Course grant for books travel costs etc?

Will the Fee grant be shown on my application or will it be automatically sent to my University as i'm a part time student i'm not sure if I qualify for the maximum amount.

It be most appreciated if you could answer this. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand this at all. You can't get a fee grant in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    There is no such thing as a fee grant, unless it is some kind of discount from the university in which case you wouldn't receive it in the first place. All grants go directly to you on a termly basis.

Maintenance grants come from the student loans company, or whatever name it goes by now. University/course grants/bursaries come from the university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LittleBill)
    There is no such thing as a fee grant, unless it is some kind of discount from the university in which case you wouldn't receive it in the first place. All grants go directly to you on a termly basis.

Maintenance grants come from the student loans company, or whatever name it goes by now. University/course grants/bursaries come from the university.
    Oh so don't you get Fee Grants for books/travel costs and Course Grant is for the University for the course you study? Maybe I got it wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by misstalkalot)
    Oh so don't you get Fee Grants for books/travel costs and Course Grant is for the University for the course you study? Maybe I got it wrong.
    A Fee Grant if it existed would presumably pay for your tuition fees. £3200 or whatever it is for a full time undergrad, I don't know for part time. I guess a university could subsidise your tuition fees which would act in much the same way a grant would.

A course grant or bursary is given to you by the university to spend how you see fit, on books and travel costs if you want, towards a holiday abroad, food, alcohol, I'm sure you get the point. Basically, the money you've received you can spend on whatever you want without the need to pay it back.

There are a number of grants/bursaries available from the university, as an undergrad I received one for being from a low income background, as a post grad I was offered £1000 towards my tuition fees as a returning Loughborough student. There's plenty more for various other things too.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.