Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by azzi)
    dont get me wrong i loved my time at uws the lecturers are 100 times better than heriot watt but heriot is "more of a uni" if i could i would have stayed at uws
    OK thanks a million finally youve been a great help the engineering looks good at uws anyway but so many people have said it a useless uni but they never went there if you dont mind me asking whyed you move

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kieran--f)
    OK thanks a million finally youve been a great help the engineering looks good at uws anyway but so many people have said it a useless uni but they never went there if you dont mind me asking whyed you move

like you said its not seen as a uni more as a college and thats the real reason i left

origianlly i was supposed to go to strathclyde but i f****d my exams up in sixth year at school so went to bell college (uws) to do a HND once i did my HND , heriot watt offered me entry into third year of engineering and thats how i ended up there so i spent two years at uws and two years at heriot and if am honest uws was ten times better than heriot watt but uws will always be seen as a lesser uni than heriot watt because its a newer "uni"

ReputationRep:
    What's up people?

I got a offer for the Creative Software Systems Master. Anyone else??

But I don't know if I'm going to accept it because I can´t find any information about that Programme (like former students, their work and stuff like that...), which I think is bad...
    If anyone knows anything about this programme please tell me.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by azzi)
    alright mate i went to both and would say heriot watt uws has just changed to a uni (formerly known as bell college) so heriot watt is a more "respected" uni although a must admit the lecturers at uws were fantastic and totally helped me with any problems i had the problem with heriot watt is that the lecturers are more distant from the students in that they dont interact with the students
    Hmm, what did you study at Heriot Watt ?
    I am going for actuarial science and I am hoping that lectures are not going to be the way you are describing them. Actuarial Science is very important for the uni imo, so they should pay more attention to individual students, am I right ?
    When I was there on a visit day, I thought that teacher there was quite friendly and he cared about everyone individually, but that was a visit day...

(Original post by Zé Henrique)
    What's up people?

I got a offer for the Creative Software Systems Master. Anyone else??

But I don't know if I'm going to accept it because I can´t find any information about that Programme (like former students, their work and stuff like that...), which I think is bad...
    If anyone knows anything about this programme please tell me.

Thanks.
    I cant help you with this particular programme, but it is likely that there will be someone here who can. Anyways, Heriot Watt and The Edinburgh is great place to live and work imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by surfista)
    When I was there on a visit day, I thought that teacher there was quite friendly and he cared about everyone individually, but that was a visit day...
    Agreed - I mean azzi is 4-th year there but on the open day (physics department) actually the guys there was quite friendly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by surfista)
    Hmm, what did you study at Heriot Watt ?
    I am going for actuarial science and I am hoping that lectures are not going to be the way you are describing them. Actuarial Science is very important for the uni imo, so they should pay more attention to individual students, am I right ?

Anyways, Heriot Watt and The Edinburgh is great place to live and work imo.

i cant vouch for every teacher BUT from the lectures a had a would only say a handful are helpful the rest couldnt give a toss they would come in read page x y z and then hand out notes from some other professor but then i had a few lecturers where the teacher was second to none what i found was in years one and two you got more help and from three and four it was google it yourself although i can understand sometimes where there coming from its impossible to to teach 60 people on a indivual basis in a 1hr class

oh and regarding the my visit day i thought i had a brilliant teacher only to get him and discover it was better to teach yourself threw google than it was to turn up to his classes cos he didnt have a scooby himself but yeah edin is a great place to work and live just try and integrate with differnt cultures it makes life so much easier than only integrating with freinds from your own country

ReputationRep:
    I'm at HW now just finished 1st year computer science and i love it. the campus is amazing and it's only 20-30mins by bus to city centre. I'm living near the city centre from next month which shall be fun. I'm also going to be a fresher's helper so if you see and awkward looking Liverpudlian guy with curly hair say hi.

ReputationRep:
    Whats the construction side of Heriot-Watt like? I will be studying Quantity Surveying, but i am unsure if Heriot-Watt will be the right place to study it.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.