Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The thinner you are, the harder it is to lose weight? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Maybe this is a confusing thread title, i can understand that but i think its the only way i can title it!

Now im just wondering if say you are like 1 or 2 stone overweight (bit of fat on you not a whole lot, look good in clothes) is it harder to lose weight than if your say 5 stone overweight (Noticeably fat with big stomach and alot of meat on the bones man boobs etc)

As at the moment im trying to get my core more toned and with less fat on my stomach, all the rest of my body is muscle and lean ive got broad shoulders very strong legs (Do alot of football and used to be an obsessive runner) but my stomach is flabby as hell when i take off my top etc. Ive been told i look good and nice but im a bit self concious about it and would like to lose it if possible as i was thinner before this final year of uni.

Its not alot of weight but is it harder to shift cos of my generally low fat level?

ReputationRep:
    it's harder because you're not doing any weights chum.

ReputationRep:
    you cant spot reduce fat, how many ******* times does this need to be told

ReputationRep:
    in a word - yes.

the leaner you are, the more you need to work to lose 1lb of fat

ReputationRep:
    From personal experience, this seems to be true. I'm not overweight but am a little flabby in places and it's not easy to get rid of it.

ReputationRep:
    Stupid question is stupid.

The slimmer people usually have faster metabolisms, thus they will find it easier to lose weight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sithius)

The slimmer people usually have faster metabolisms, thus they will find it easier to lose weight.
    And fat people are fat because they have slower metabolisms? Could it be that it's because they eat more, so it's easier for them to considerably reduce their intake? See, not a stupid question.

ReputationRep:

stupid person is stupid.

the leaner you get the more you are fighting nature

getting from 30% BF to 20% is relatively easy, just calorie control and minor exercise will do

getting to say below 10% BF isn't just 'calorie control' and 'moderate exercise'

i have to do loads of effort just to shed 1lb whereas someone who has excess of 3 stones to lose doesnt need to change much

ReputationRep:
    I have monstrously strong legs....I run marathons....comes with the territory!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXx_pUnK_pOp_pRiNcEsS_xXx)
    And fat people are fat because they have slower metabolisms? Could it be that it's because they eat more, so it's easier for them to considerably reduce their intake? See, not a stupid question.
    actually

fatter people have higher metabolisms because they have a greater weight so the cells need more energy

slimmer people tend to have a more efficient not higher metabolism

ReputationRep:

Just because someone is slim doesn't mean that they have a faster metabolism. I have an eating disorder and it's been known that such people end up having a slower metabolism.

ReputationRep:
    I think so...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adonis)
    stupid person is stupid.

the leaner you get the more you are fighting nature

getting from 30% BF to 20% is relatively easy, just calorie control and minor exercise will do

getting to say below 10% BF isn't just 'calorie control' and 'moderate exercise'

i have to do loads of effort just to shed 1lb whereas someone who has excess of 3 stones to lose doesnt need to change much
    Who said anything about leaner? That involves muscle mass. OP is clearly on about body fat.

And yes, the faster your metabolism, the easier it is to lose weight. I don't know why you are having trouble grasping this. Late night?

(Original post by Linweth)
    Just because someone is slim doesn't mean that they have a faster metabolism. I have an eating disorder and it's been known that such people end up having a slower metabolism.
    Hence the use of the word usually...

ReputationRep:
    It easier to lose weight when fatter...but estrogen is also higher.......But yeah it easier to lose weight when fatter.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

A heavier person will have a faster metabolism.
    One reason is becuase it takes more effort for them to move around becuse they weigh more, cells need more energy etc.

A lighter person will have a slower metabolism.

ReputationRep:
    Who said anything about leaner? That involves muscle mass. OP is clearly on about body fat.

And yes, the faster your metabolism, the easier it is to lose weight. I don't know why you are having trouble grasping this. Late night?

Hence the use of the word usually...
    forgetting the part about fat people have higher metabolisms?

and yes BF% has nothing to do with bodyfat levels :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:

You obviously don't realise how ignorant you sound, I'd stop now if I were you.

Had you just, been wrong, it wouldn't be so bad; the mature knowledgeable people would politely correct your lack understanding. But the fact that you're trying to be a ****, AND you are wrong, makes it so much funnier. Keep it up, I can't decide which post is more stupid, the 1st or 2nd...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adonis)
    forgetting the part about fat people have higher metabolisms?

and yes BF% has nothing to do with bodyfat levels :rolleyes:
    You said so yourself, there's a difference between higher and efficient. Work that one out for yourself. :yep:

I assumed that was just your ignorance. You did use the word 'tone' after all. :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    You said so yourself, there's a difference between higher and efficient. Work that one out for yourself. :yep:

I assumed that was just your ignorance. You did use the word 'tone' after all. :facepalm:
    wtf?

ReputationRep:

I used the word 'stone' not 'tone' having trouble with your S's?

& I appreciate there is a difference, but my efficient comment was towards skinny people

your reading comprehension as bad as your biology?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.