Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The thinner you are, the harder it is to lose weight? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rogerio134)
    I watched a show on BBC4 about how the diet of the nation had changed over the last 100 years and how our health had changed etc, and i do remember now how fatter people have higher metabolisms because of the amount of work they have to do.

They also did a comparison between 2 sisters who were twins but had never met and were re united at 40 years old. One had eaten healthy and excercised her whole life watching her weight whereas the other had lived in the southwest of the US and eaten fatty meats and not watched what she ate her entire life and the weight diffrence between them was only 4 pounds.

i think some of it has to do with genetics etc, and im not on about spot toning to the people who keep saying that, i know thats not possible im just asking a question as i dont eat that much but the fat never seems to disapear.
    Don't suppose you can remember the name of that proggrame?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hy~)
    If 2 people weighed 12 stone, with person A having 10% bodyfat and person B having 30% bodyfat, which person would have a higher metabolism? Also, someone said there's a difference between a higher and a more efficient metabolism. What does this mean?
    a higher metabolism is just that - your resting requirement for calories is higher

fat people have more cells in general, so these cells need more energy

now two people might have the same metabolism i.e. both burn same amount of kcals/day

BUT someone with a more efficient metabolism tends to have better nutrient partitioning, what does that mean? more of the calories are burnt for processes such as movement than being stored

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kash:))
    Don't suppose you can remember the name of that proggrame?
    Horizon : A Diet Guide

ReputationRep:
    they did a test about metabolism and got a bunch of people and asked them what they thought about their metabolism ie fast/slow/average and obviously people thought theirs was fast and slow etc and what they found out was that pretty much everyone's is pretty average. Most just use it as an excuse for their glutinous lazy ways.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adonis)
    Horizon : A Diet Guide
    Thats the one! i only remembered it had diet in the title and t`was on BBC4. Quite an interesting program i thought to be honest, with the introduction of mass produced foods with more fat and preservatives in them weve seen a big increase in weight gain throughout society and this program documents it quite well.

ReputationRep:
    yes it is .

a very large person needs a lot more caloires to stay the same weight . because its more for them to move.

i was 172lbs and needed 2150 cals to stay the same weight
    im about 151lbs now and only need 1960 cals to stay the same weight

very rough calculator
    http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

ReputationRep:
    I can introduce another factor to further complicate things:

Skinnier can have a higher resting metabolism due to heat loss. They have a higher surface area to volume ratio than fat people, and as such, emit more heat per kilo of body mass. Since they give off more heat, their energy requirements can be a little higher, under a given set of conditions, than a larger person.

What does this mean in real life terms?

NOTHING FATTY! PUT THE CHIPS DOWN!

NOTHING ANOREXIA BOY! EAT A ******* BURGER!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.