Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    Do as many as you think you can get A*/A in.

If this is 4 do that.

If this is 20 do that.

<3
    The thing is I got just AAAABBBBBC for gcse because there was war in my country I'm in sri lanka so I had to my O Levels in one year.
    then did nothing for the next year after which I'm doing my A levels
    I did As this Jan and would be doing A2 this june so its like I'll be doing My A levels in one year.
    will I be acceppted.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Dr.Black Knight)
    The thing is I got just AAAABBBBBC for gcse because there was war in my country I'm in sri lanka so I had to my O Levels in one year.
    I did As this Jan and would be doing A2 this june so its like I'll be doing My A levels in one year.
    will I be acceppted.
    If you do your AS + A2 in one year, and still get at least 3 As, not only will you be 'accepted' but it will look far more impressive than those who have done it in two years and within a more accomodating context.

Just get the best grades you can.

ReputationRep:
    If you do your AS + A2 in one year, and still get at least 3 As, not only will you be 'accepted' but it will look far more impressive than those who have done it in two years and within a more accomodating context.

Just get the best grades you can.
    the thing is I'm actually doing it privately, but my old school is willing to give me reference saying that I studied with them.
    the prob is how do I explain to the unis that I have done my A levels in one year
    I'm appling for medicine!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ClaireW2708)
    Depends how much free time you want..
    I would say there's not much real benefit to doing 5. I do 4, and have an offer for vet. Talking to people at interviews, it was a roughly even split between people doing 3 and people doing 4. Personally, I prefer to do 4 (not that my college would have let me do 5) and have time for extra reading around the key ones.
    will I be acceppted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vazzyb)
    Doing four is absolutely fine, doing five will help you a bit - but only if you can handle it.
    will I be acceppted.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    the thing is I'm actually doing it privately, but my old school is willing to give me reference saying that I studied with them.
    the prob is how do I explain to the unis that I have done my A levels in one year
    I'm appling for medicine!!
    1) they will know from the dates of certification on your UCAS form.
    2) you can put it in your personal statement, along with the circumstances surrounding it.

ReputationRep:
    1) they will know from the dates of certification on your UCAS form.
    2) you can put it in your personal statement, along with the circumstances surrounding it.
    the school which I am going to apply through is not registered with ucas and it is not famous is it a problem?
    I am an overseas student
    thanks
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    the school which I am going to apply through is not registered with ucas and it is not famous is it a problem?
    I am an overseas student
    thanks
    No, you will apply independantly and will have to get a reference from them to attatch.

Not being famous is irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    No, you will apply independantly and will have to get a reference from them to attatch.

Not being famous is irrelevant.
    does Oxbridge and other unis differentiate candiates applying inpendently and candiates applying through registered centres
    Am I disadvataged?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    does Oxbridge and other unis differentiate candiates applying inpendently and candiates applying through registered centres
    Am I disadvataged?
    Not to my knowledge no. You will only be disadvantaged if you fail to provide an adequet reference and fill in the forms incorrectly etc.

ReputationRep:
    will I be acceppted.
    I can't answer if you'll be excepted. However, if you mention the issues around your GCSEs I imagine this will be taken into consideration. Incidentally, I reckon you did pretty well for GCSEs in one year with war going on.
    Good luck though.

ReputationRep:
    I think the Cambride Special Access Scheme is meant for people with circumstances like yours - being educated while a war was going on. Maybe this link is of any help? http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/unde...forms/csas.pdf

Ah I'm sorry it's not open to overseas I see just now... So you would probably have to explain it in the SAQ or an extra letter from yourself and or any of your old teacher's (or PS, reference). There's definitely room to explain this and understanding for the situation. This, however, doesn't garantuee you'll get in, of course. You'll still have to be very good at interview compared to the others, because than I'd reckon every one is viewed pretty much equal. And only the very top is accepted at Cambridge, especially for Medicine. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I can't answer if you'll be excepted. However, if you mention the issues around your GCSEs I imagine this will be taken into consideration. Incidentally, I reckon you did pretty well for GCSEs in one year with war going on.
    Good luck though.
    If I get A*AAA for A levels and my GCSE results being AAAABBBBBC will a get in if I do not mention about the 1 year thing and war.

thanks

ReputationRep:
    Good luck though.
    what was your UMS and your bmat results?

ReputationRep:
    If I get A*AAA for A levels and my GCSE results being AAA
    ABBBBBC will a get in if I do not mention about the 1 year thing and war.

thanks
    Again.
    I, and everyone else, cannot say that you will/won't get in. Also, next year there is the potential that Cambridge will ask for A*A*A or something - I honestly have no idea. Why would you not want to mention them? It won't disadvantage your application at all, and will go some way to explaining your below-average GCSEs (Sorry, I'm being honest rather than rude).

My scores
    Spoiler:
    Show

Biology 94%
    Chemistry 94%
    Maths 97%
    German 91%

BMAT 7, 5.7, 9

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rvg)
    Maybe this link is of any help? http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/unde...forms/csas.pdf
    Thanks for that, it was very helpful

ReputationRep:
    Its your wish!

ReputationRep:
    Its upto you to decide!

ReputationRep:
    Do 6 AS levels and 5 A2s

ReputationRep:
    do 4

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.