Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am looking into them at the moment. I was just wondering whether anyone on here has done/is doing an apprenticeship and what it's like. Any bad experiences I should know about?

ReputationRep:
    My comment from an earlier thread:

Have a seat and listen up.

Don't do an apprenticeship. You'll regret it. Do your A-levels, and then do an apprenticeship afterwards. This means that when (like most people eventually do) you decide that you've wasted your time with an apprenticeship, you can go straight to uni rather than dicking around on an 'Access' course or whatever they're called.

I should become a careers advisor.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on your course?
    some things hands on experiance is much better then books and theoretical knowledge...
    you know what I mean?

ReputationRep:
    You gotta make sure that you are actually signing up to a proper apprenticeship. I've heard plenty of stories where people worked for peanuts, having been told that they were serving an apprenticeship, but then came out with nothing when they copped on.

Also, I suggest you do your A-levels, they'll give you more options if the apprenticeship goes belly-up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darigan)
    You gotta make sure that you are actually signing up to a proper apprenticeship. I've heard plenty of stories where people worked for peanuts, having been told that they were serving an apprenticeship, but then came out with nothing when they copped on.

Also, I suggest you do your A-levels, they'll give you more options if the apprenticeship goes belly-up.
    Where I'm applying for offers me and NVQ in administration with work experience and a possible permanent position after the year. I would do my A levels but I wouldn't be doing them for me, I only decided to do them for other people and not myself. Whereas this is for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunpro)
    My comment from an earlier thread:

Have a seat and listen up.

Don't do an apprenticeship. You'll regret it. Do your A-levels, and then do an apprenticeship afterwards. This means that when (like most people eventually do) you decide that you've wasted your time with an apprenticeship, you can go straight to uni rather than dicking around on an 'Access' course or whatever they're called.

I should become a careers advisor.
    i agree with this.
    i'm finishing my 4 year modern apprenticeship in july
    i hate it and i'm going to university to do something different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmyFran)
    Where I'm applying for offers me and NVQ in administration with work experience and a possible permanent position after the year. I would do my A levels but I wouldn't be doing them for me, I only decided to do them for other people and not myself. Whereas this is for me.
    My friend did one of those for the local council. Out of 30 kids who were taken on as apprentices / office chimps, only 2 were offered permanent positions at the end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunpro)
    My friend did one of those for the local council. Out of 30 kids who were taken on as apprentices / office chimps, only 2 were offered permanent positions at the end.
    There's only one posistion for an apprentice open. So I hopefully won't have that trouble.

ReputationRep:
    I thought I should add my thoughts since there seem to be a lot of negative experiences here.

I'm in my second year of an IT Apprenticeship at my county council, and it's really, really good. I have a fantastic boss and a fantastic assessor. We are separate from all the Business Admin and Customer Care apprentices due to our learning provider, but I think they're really enjoying it too.

They said they pretty much would guarantee me a permanent job when I started, and my boss is looking into where me and my two friends will be placed in August/September. Make sure you ask the question though, if it's possible.

Are you looking into local authorities? Because I do believe they're the best places to get apprenticeships.

Oh, and I should add - I did sixth-form and everything before I got my apprenticeship, it might be worth doing as the second poster said, especially as a backup if you don't get the job (it might happen, after all). Alternatively, plenty of colleges do BTEC National Certificates/Diplomas in vocational subjects such as Business Admin, so you can always do that and back yourself up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camisado)
    I thought I should add my thoughts since there seem to be a lot of negative experiences here.

I'm in my second year of an IT Apprenticeship at my county council, and it's really, really good. I have a fantastic boss and a fantastic assessor. We are separate from all the Business Admin and Customer Care apprentices due to our learning provider, but I think they're really enjoying it too.

They said they pretty much would guarantee me a permanent job when I started, and my boss is looking into where me and my two friends will be placed in August/September. Make sure you ask the question though, if it's possible.

Are you looking into local authorities? Because I do believe they're the best places to get apprenticeships.

Oh, and I should add - I did sixth-form and everything before I got my apprenticeship, it might be worth doing as the second poster said, especially as a backup if you don't get the job (it might happen, after all). Alternatively, plenty of colleges do BTEC National Certificates/Diplomas in vocational subjects such as Business Admin, so you can always do that and back yourself up.

Thank you that has really helped me. I can't stay at sixth form much longer. It's doing my head in. But I have got a plan to do a college course if this falls through, fingers crossed it won't though

ReputationRep:
    this might be a bit late but i think apprenticeships are great! I werent sure if uni was the route for me so i was looking for another plan, and then my friend had got onto a media apprenticeship for a promotions company and she loved it, the company offered her a full time job and she got a qualification from it too.
    After hearing her experience i started applying for them, at first i wasn't getting any luck but i have an interview for one in live events and promotions so fingers crossed i get it

ReputationRep:
    apprenticeships are brilliant if you get a good 1. if you get a bad 1 its a waste of time

but you could goto uni, pick a bad course, end up with loads of debt and there is NEVER a guarantee of work at the end if you goto uni

least with most apprenticeships you have a chance of a career at the end.

Submit reply
Updated: October 13, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.