Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

i-Kube Insurance - Insure A BMW For £1,600 @ The Age Of 18?! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Thats right... I randomly stumbled across a insurer thats been around for many years but a very silent one. It's made for students, that do not plan to drive after the hours of 11PM - 5AM. (which is me)

So I got a quote on my old mans car, which is a BMW 320i (2000) and it will only cost me £1,600 to insure!! WTH? Has anyone else heard of this company? Is it relible?

They said they will come around and fit a GPS system into the car which will ID it if it was to move after the hours of 11PM. If it does, a fee of £45 would be applied.

The funny thing is, any car I would pick out from autotrader ranging from 1.2-1.8 litre engines, will all come back the same price.

Whats even more interesting is a crappy 1.2 206 or a 1.4 golf (1999) would cost me £3,500 normally to insure. And I'm getting to insure a BMW for only £1,600.

Is this too good to be true?

http://www.i-kube.co.uk

ReputationRep:
    I forgot to mention I live in the so called "Red" zone for insurers. Where they charge more depending on the location you stay at.

ReputationRep:
    Don't they install the thing that makes sure you aren't driving like a maniac as well though? I know there is a company that does that, but i'm not sure which one.

ReputationRep:
    I would rather have a 1.4 then have my freedom to drive when I want restricted.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    All very well and good, but will your dad ever want to drive the car between 11pm and 5am? If so the gps isn't going to know whether it's you or him driving and you're going to get hit with the fee :dontknow:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Your dad might be a bit annoyed that he can no longer drive after 11pm.

ReputationRep:
    Nope. That's not what I was trying to say. I was trying to point out that insuring a 2.0 litre BMW in a rough neigbourhood will only cost £1,600? It just seemed to good to be true. First time driver and only 18m? Wow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potential Trigger)
    I would rather have a 1.4 then have my freedom to drive when I want restricted.
    I was quoted £3,500 for 1.4 1999 Golf. I'm sorry, but that is rape and a half.

Freedom to drive? C'mon, what would you seriously be doing out on the street after that time anyway? And even if you where, it will only cost £45 per night. + the fact you still payed half the money to insure it, so if you where ever to go over and over, I doubt it would ever get close to the original quote by the end of the year.

Again, I'm talking about a BMW here. I got quoted on my dads insurer £6,000+ (+ my £500 that my old man pays)

Anyways, what I'm trying to find out is, if this is for real or not.

ReputationRep:
    Did I forget to mention that price also includes fully comprehensive + breakdown cover + courtesy car?

This just seems beyond good to be true... I'm having my doubts. Has anyone here ACTUALLY used this service?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrvn)
    Did I forget to mention that price also includes fully comprehensive + breakdown cover + courtesy car?

This just seems beyond good to be true... I'm having my doubts. Has anyone here ACTUALLY used this service?
    Go and have a look on google, I'm sure there will be discussion about it on various motoring forums.

ReputationRep:
    the restriction thing doesnt sound too good!!!!!
    have you tried get a quote with Direct line.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrvn)
    Thats right... I randomly stumbled across a insurer thats been around for many years but a very silent one. It's made for students, that do not plan to drive after the hours of 11PM - 5AM. (which is me)

So I got a quote on my old mans car, which is a BMW 320i (2000) and it will only cost me £1,600 to insure!! WTH? Has anyone else heard of this company? Is it relible?

They said they will come around and fit a GPS system into the car which will ID it if it was to move after the hours of 11PM. If it does, a fee of £45 would be applied.

The funny thing is, any car I would pick out from autotrader ranging from 1.2-1.8 litre engines, will all come back the same price.

Whats even more interesting is a crappy 1.2 206 or a 1.4 golf (1999) would cost me £3,500 normally to insure. And I'm getting to insure a BMW for only £1,600.

Is this too good to be true?

http://www.i-kube.co.uk
    Perhaps I'm a little bit of a sceptic, but your post looks a lot like advertising.......

ReputationRep:
    11pm isn't late at all, the night is just beginning at that time...in my opinion anyway. As a barman, this sort of policy is an epic fail, and for most of today's society, it is still an epic fail. I probably use my car more after 11pm than before.

With those time restraints, along with the obvious fact they will be able to tell what speed you are doing and where, the price is still a rip-off. If anyone signed such a contract with an insurance company like this then they are surely mentally retarded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darigan)
    Perhaps I'm a little bit of a sceptic, but your post looks a lot like advertising.......
    Aww, you know I'm only bragging becuase I'm trying to find someone thats actually used it, and no one seems to have. I only just heard of it, I was on the phone for 45 minutes scratching my head asking the same question over and over again... I said I'd call them back.

I'm just here to find out if its a scam or not...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Figo077)
    11pm isn't late at all, the night is just beginning at that time...in my opinion anyway. As a barman, this sort of policy is an epic fail, and for most of today's society, it is still an epic fail. I probably use my car more after 11pm than before.

With those time restraints, along with the obvious fact they will be able to tell what speed you are doing and where, the price is still a rip-off. If anyone signed such a contract with an insurance company like this then they are surely mentally retarded.
    11, on an average scale is pretty late. For you, perhaps not, but not everyone has a night job. If you do then I guess its not for you, I work 9-5 so...

Anyways, getting back on topic. Any ideas if this is legit or not?

ReputationRep:
    That sounds rubbish.
    I'd rather get a 1.4/1.6 something or other and wait until I could afford better insurance.

ReputationRep:
    So I take it no ones used this service?

(Original post by Mrvn)
    So I take it no ones used this service?
    How many times are you going to ask? I'm sure if anyone who's replied so far has used it, they would have mentioned it already. And those who haven't read it can't see your damn posts, anyway. :nothing:

ReputationRep:
    Having had a look around it seems that service is nothing out of the ordinary; a lot of companies are about who will half your premium if you don't drive between 11 and 6. Perhaps that's when over half of accidents happen? EDIT - Department for Transport statistics show that accident rates involving young drivers peak at night, in 1999 over 40% of accidents involving males aged 17-19 were at night

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm i wouldnt like to be insured by this company. i tend to do a lot of driving inbetween this hours, generally coming home from friends or from clubs etc but i guess if you literally stay home from 11 til 5 its not too bad.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 6, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.