Turn on thread page Beta

i-Kube Insurance - Insure A BMW For £1,600 @ The Age Of 18?! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O_RLY?)
    I got quoted £1600 on a 99 1.4 golf...what the hell are you doing wrong?
    Wow?

Well, for starters I just passed... I'm 18... I'm a male (yeah...) Live in a rough (or so called "rough") neigbourhood.

What did you put down?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrvn)
    Wow?

Well, for starters I just passed... I'm 18... I'm a male (yeah...) Live in a rough (or so called "rough") neigbourhood.

What did you put down?
    Just bloody go on gocompare, tescocompare, moneysupermarket, comparethemarket and check the prices. The highest quote for a 1.0-1.4l shouldn't exceed £2000 at most. I'm 19 with a 1.8 and my insurance is £1200!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrvn)
    Freedom to drive? C'mon, what would you seriously be doing out on the street after that time anyway? And even if you where, it will only cost £45 per night. + the fact you still payed half the money to insure it, so if you where ever to go over and over, I doubt it would ever get close to the original quote by the end of the year.

You sound like an advert. I'm not so sure you're not an advert.

Anyway, I would never even have considered insurance that restricted when I was 17. I have always found I do a surprising amount of driving late at night/early in the morning.

Plus, that's not actually a great deal really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Virus.exe)
    Just bloody go on gocompare, tescocompare, moneysupermarket, comparethemarket and check the prices. The highest quote for a 1.0-1.4l shouldn't exceed £2000 at most. I'm 19 with a 1.8 and my insurance is £1200!
    Wow, I'm not sure what planet your from, but I wish. The cars I checked are 1.2 Corsa (2002 model) 1.2 Punto, 1.4 gold and they ALL exceeded £3,000.

Seriously, at that age £1,200? That's hard to believe. And yes, they are the sites I went onto. Thats why I keep asking ,what else you put down when getting a quote.

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried Churchill or Direct Line, by any chance?

I know they don't like to insure younger drivers on bigger engines, as I've had some problems getting quotes for certain cars, but they're usually much cheaper than elsewhere and cheaper with fully comp insurance than TPF&T.
    Course that's probably cause of the compulsory £400 excess from the ages of 17-19 I think, but still. Teaches you to drive even more carefully.

Also comparison sites are awful.

ReputationRep:
    No thanks.

I'm 17 and got fully comp insurance (in my name) on a 105hp 1.6 high-spec Astra H for a tiny bit over £2000. That was with Churchill.

No silly GPS tracker on my car. No £45 charge for driving after 11pm.

ReputationRep:
    I had insurance with this company before coming to uni. Theyre OK, good condition- free breakdown cover/ courtesy car etc. But for a lot of people the hours wouldnt be the best, but they were OK for me. Mine was only £1100 but this was 18 months ago, if your after cheap insurance it could be for you.

ReputationRep:
    When I was temping I used to work whatever shift I was given, if I turned away work the chance of getting something more sensible would be slim but losing half my wage (after tax etc) just because my insurer thinks at 11.05 I'm going to be more dangerous is just stupid, same for going to the cinema any showing after 8.30 for me would end up costing £45 more. Thankfully living in the middle of nowhere means I'm also in one of the lowest postcodes so real insurance is cheaper than a buspass. My own car now I have 1yr ncb is £450 FC, adding my 17yr old sister to the policy to learn and use whilst I'm at uni only cost an extra £120.

Freedom for the win!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScottScott)
    That sounds rubbish.
    I'd rather get a 1.4/1.6 something or other and wait until I could afford better insurance.
    For just go TPFT. TBH insurance is just a rip off anyway only the Aussies actually have a good system

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kevin_123)
    Why did you do Economics if you wanted to do Chemistry? I'm asking because I'm thinking of doing excactly the same A-levels as you because I don't know if I want to do medicine or Economics :p:
    Hang on...Chemistry? I'm applying for dentistry, and like you I couldn't decide between economics, medicine or dentistry when I chose my subjects.

Dentistry is now well and truly FTW. :bhangra:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O_RLY?)
    Hang on...Chemistry? I'm applying for dentistry, and like you I couldn't decide between economics, medicine or dentistry when I chose my subjects.

Dentistry is now well and truly FTW. :bhangra:
    Woops meant "Dentistry" :p: I think I'm gonan choose A levels for economics though.. don't think medicine is for me :rolleyes:

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 6, 2010
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.