Turn on thread page Beta

Is it worth doing a Masters degree for a career in Clinical Psychology? watch

ReputationRep:
    I am trying to decide whether it is worth doing a Masters or not. It is not required for a career in Clinical Psychology, but some people who go on to become Clinical Psychologists seem to have done one.

Is it worth the money?
    How much of a an advantage would it give you when applying for the Doctorate?
    Would it be time better spent getting more experience in a graduate mental health related job?

ReputationRep:
    I would probably say time is better spend gaining work experience and applying for graduate jobs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    I would probably say time is better spend gaining work experience and applying for graduate jobs.
    Thanks - that's what I have been thinking.

ReputationRep:
    After you do a degree in psychology. You can complete your masters in only one or maybe two depending on how you quick you want to do. But bear in mind that if you do it in one year it is alot more work than doing it in one. The masters really does help to get a PHD. Most places that will do a PHD wont exccept you if you dont have a masters. Once you have completed your masters you can get the NHS to pay for your PHD and if you get onto one of their funded courses they will instantly give you employment after you have completed. If you didnt have a job there already and it is well worth the money seeing as the minimum starting pay for a trainee clinical psychology is £25,472 a year and if you we get to the top in the hospital that we can be its £97,478. The pay starts at band 6 for clinical psychology trainees to see a full list of the bands click on this link http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/details...lt.aspx?Id=766. hope that helps

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 28, 2010

University open days

• Staffordshire University
    Everything except: Midwifery, Operating Department Practice, Paramedic Undergraduate
    Sun, 21 Oct '18
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.