The Student Room Group

NUS and Disaffiliation

Hello all,

Owing to recent events at my University, there has been an resurgance in the question of our affiliation to the NUS.

Those of you at universities that are not affiliated, how is it for you? Are bar prices expensive? Do you feel unrepresented? etc etc

Basically, do you think the NUS is worth the money we give them?
I am at a disaffiliated uni. Bar prices are not that expensive at all.
I don't feel unrepresented and actually because of further division within the SU itself (into engineering, science and medicine) Feel more represented by it.

I don't think they are worth it and by disaffiliating your SU can decide on the issues important to its students soley, ours works with the NUS on some things it agrees with them.

Only slightly annoying this is the although you can get all the student discounts with an IC card sometimes places haven't heard of IC (or think it is a sixthform...) only found it an issue in 1/2 places and sorted by speaking to the manager.

So I don't think it is worth it.
Reply 2
I'm at a disaffiliated uni and we still get all the discounts in shops, and bar prices are the same.
why would bar prices even change?
didgeridoo12uk
why would bar prices even change?

The NUS signs purchasing agreements with suppliers and as it represents a lot of potential customers then some good deals can be had. Whether the SU at the uni chooses to pass on those savings entirely to its membership is another matter. However, most disaffiliated universities join with other regional institutions to create purchasing bodies (such as CHESS in Scotland) and similar deals can be struck anyway.

Personally I have little time for the NUS and, having attended both unaffiliated and affiliated universities I can definately say that there was far more engagement with the SU in the former than in the latter.
Reply 5
I remember when the referendum took place here. The result was thousands in favour of staying out of NUS with about fifty wanting to join. NUS are in it for the money, they leech funds from facilities that could be improved with the £50,000 membership fee.
Reply 6
Cheers for the info so far people!
Reply 7
I'm at an unaffiliated university, and to be quite honest, you really couldn't tell the difference. I still get discounts with my standard university student card and also we've been given a GiftEd card by the SU which seems to give us pretty much the same discounts you would get with a NUS Extra card, but it was free.
Reply 8
Out of interest, what percentage of all universities in the UK are unaffiliated with the NUS?
Reply 9
I'm at a disaffiliated university and yeah, you can't really tell the difference at all. I get discounts with my student card and cheap drinks prices... the only difference is that societies don't get the same amount of funding, but so far it hasn't been a problem.
Reply 10
Original post by Prudy
Hello all,

Owing to recent events at my University, there has been an resurgance in the question of our affiliation to the NUS.

Those of you at universities that are not affiliated, how is it for you? Are bar prices expensive? Do you feel unrepresented? etc etc

Basically, do you think the NUS is worth the money we give them?

I know this is now a very old thread but I came across it on Twitter and was just wondering if you did disafilliate from NUS in the end?
Reply 11
Original post by maveryck
I know this is now a very old thread but I came across it on Twitter and was just wondering if you did disafilliate from NUS in the end?

A referendum was held at the beginning of this year, with the majority opinion being to re-affiliate

https://www.dur.ac.uk/student.elections/dsu/index.php?results=58

Causing DSU to re-affiliate soon after

http://www.palatinate.org.uk/?p=10697

Which was a shame. Though I am proud that the only college where the majority of students voted no was my own.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by River85
A referendum was held at the beginning of this year, with the majority opinion being to re-affiliate

https://www.dur.ac.uk/student.elections/dsu/index.php?results=58

Causing DSU to re-affiliate soon after

http://www.palatinate.org.uk/?p=10697

Which was a shame. Though I am proud that the only college where the majority of students voted no was my own.

Ok. So you did disaffiliate and then re-affiliate. What were the main reasons people voted to go back to the NUS?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending