Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing a second undergrad in English and I can't decide whether to go to Edinburgh, Glasgow or Stirling.

Obviously Glasgow and Edinburgh are more prestigious and well known than Stirling but I don't think that's the most important thing.

I'll be 24 when I go back to uni and I haven't sat an exam since I was 16 (Highers) so I'm being drawn to Stirling with the promise of continous assessment. They have also offered me 2nd year entry.

Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    Continous assesment to Stirling is just essays and online tests - you'll probably still have to sit exams at the end of modules, especially as you'll have to take 3 modules during your first and second semesters to make up credits (which are really semester 3 and 4 in the uni's speak) and it's very likely that it'll be a subject that has nothing to do with your degree (I do accounting and finance as my degree but also do first year politics to make up credits).

Stirling is a small city. Keep that in mind. If you want something a bit quieter than Glasgow or Edinburgh, then brilliant. It's also a contained campus so it's quite possible to rolll out of bed at half 8 for 9am lectures if you live in the campus accommodation. The one thing I'm annoyed at with Stirling at the moment is the really long break between autumn and spring semester - we've still not started spring semester and don't for another week and a half.

If you have any other really specific questions about Stirling as a city and as a uni then you can PM me or just quote me.

ReputationRep:
    I know loads of 'mature students' and they seem to love it at stirlingl, I dunno if it's because it's smaller so they are looked after more

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'm looking for a small campus uni. I live in Edinburgh and I just want to go somewhere different.

The english course definitely has no exams. But I forgot about the other modules I'll have to take. It's only for 1 year though and I doubt they will be as intense as Edinburgh Uni's exams!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweetnesspink)
    Yeah I'm looking for a small campus uni. I live in Edinburgh and I just want to go somewhere different.

The english course definitely has no exams. But I forgot about the other modules I'll have to take. It's only for 1 year though and I doubt they will be as intense as Edinburgh Uni's exams!
    If you take the first year politics modules (POL911 and POL912) the first one has no exam (just an essay, online test and then an in-tutorial essay) and the second one has an exam which is only 60% of the grade or so.

And exams are exams - doesn't matter where you take them! Though the effect is lost when you're in a dining room or sports hall, I suppose.

If you're looking for a small campus and city situation, then I think Stirling's probably a good bet for you. It's only 10 minutes on the bus from the town to the campus, or you can walk it if you feel up to it as it's only 2 or 3 miles. The night life isn't comparable to Edinburgh or Glasgow, but it's nice and cosy.

ReputationRep:
    I meant that Edinburgh don't allow resits on English Lit exams... that's pretty intense! I'm sure Stirling isn't that bad as it isn't so far up it's own arse!

My heart says Stirling... but I haven't visited the campus yet so I wont know for sure until then.

ReputationRep:
    I meant that Edinburgh don't allow resits on English Lit exams... that's pretty intense! I'm sure Stirling isn't that bad as it isn't so far up it's own arse!
    That's hardly being up its own arse - just having high expectations of students they accept...

ReputationRep:
    It's not that one thing that makes Edinburgh a snobby university. It's a number of things.

There's a lot to be said for going to a prestigious uni though. Name means a lot.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to Stirling today to go to Primark so I'm going to go have a look around the campus too!

Edinburgh is a snobby university.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Edinburgh is the better of the three in terms of reputation.

Ultimately, who cares. Go for the one you would be happiest at.

<3

ReputationRep:
    Whether a university is 'snobby' is subjective. I know plenty of people who think Glasgow is, but I can't see it at all. If a location doesn't feel comfortable to you, don't go just because of the 'name'. You will need to spend four years there. And 'reputation' is nonsense anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I live in Edinburgh so it would be cheaper for me to study there. I wouldn't have to leave home. But I chose QMU (Queen Margaret University) first time round for that same reason and I've regretted it ever since.

Well I'll know more once I've visited the Stirling campus today.

ReputationRep:
    I live in Edinburgh so it would be cheaper for me to study there. I wouldn't have to leave home. But I chose QMU (Queen Margaret University) first time round for that same reason and I've regretted it ever since.

Well I'll know more once I've visited the Stirling campus today.
    Hope you like it

If you get the chance go up on a sunny day, because it is the nicest place when the loch shines in the sun

ReputationRep:

My heart says Stirling... but I haven't visited the campus yet so I wont know for sure until then.
    The general rule for resits here is if you get less than 40% but more than about 10 or 15% they'll allow you to resit. It can change between departments, but I'm sure I saw English modules on the resit list.

ReputationRep:
    Well it was miserable weather and I still liked it!!

It made me more sure that I want to go to Stirling

ReputationRep:
    Welcome hehe

ReputationRep:
    I want to go now! Lol. Why must I wait until September when I'll be even older and grumpier than I am now

I want to stay in Pendriech or Spittal Hill Chalets!

ReputationRep:
    I would advise halls !

You wont get a chalet till 4th year

ReputationRep:
    Only 4th years get the chalets?? That's crazy!

I emailed the accommodation office a few weeks ago and they said they try to house the older students together. I don't know if that would make me more likely to get one lol!

That being said I wouldn't mind one of the flats on Donelly or the other halls style flats!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 17, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Stirling
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  2. University of Stirling
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Oct '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.