Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeolus)
    I don't doubt our generation will be revered as champions of stoicism by those who pine for a rose tinted view of the past.
    Just like children of the 20s were champions of stoicism for the elders living in the 60s. Things always seem to be better in the past to some people.

ReputationRep:
    People have always complained about the youth; I have a copy of an ancient Egyptian document which expresses such sentiments about the degeneration of the times the writer (of the document) lived. He bitterly complains how people have no morals anymore; and that each person thinks nothing of killing his neighbour. Mothers and sons; fathers and daughters would fight day and night with one another. Nothing is sacred anymore, he writes.

The Cynic philosopher Diogenes of Sinope had supposedly walked about the town carrying a lit lamp in broad-daylight, "looking for an honest man".

It's nothing new. But we should not suppose that degeneration does not level-off or degenerates greater than before. Is our times more or less degenerate than anyother age we know about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakePearson)
    It's the same kind of corruption and bribery that often go together with media and government. So much of a government's policies influence the media, and so much of the media's views influence the government, that it is impossible to separate them.
    That is very true.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Jake, I'm pretty sure that when the mods and rockers, punks, hippies were around in the 1960s and 1970s the older generations then would have complained how Britain was going to hell and everything was worse than it was years ago etc, etc, etc.

It really is the most unoriginal argument ever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeolus)
    I don't doubt our generation will be revered as champions of stoicism by those who pine over a rose tinted view of the past.
    I wonder what they will choose to focus on :holmes: the 40s generation was WW2, the 50s the birth of teen...James Dean and so on, the 60s the hippys..sexual freedom, civil rights and so forth, the 70s Vietnam, continued liberations from the past :hmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XJR)
    I agree with Jake, I'm pretty sure that when the mods and rockers, punks, hippies were around in the 1960s and 1970s the older generations then would have complained how Britain was going to hell and everything was worse than it was years ago etc, etc, etc.

My argument is that in the 60's and 70's the youth had some class...Woodstock, Mods and Rockers. the Hippy Movement, the Paris Student Movement and so on. Today many young people are a pampered, pretty homogenous bunch...nothing really exists to the extent of what those in the 60's did....I mean they paved the way for the sexual liberation and so on. I don't see young people really changing stuff...more getting wasted and shopping in Topman, it isn't neccesirally a bad thing, I'm pretty much what was described in my post :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XJR)

well 60's is more or less when it all started...

ReputationRep:
    Totally agree! Warner is my favourite blogger at the Telegraph!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Pfft really?

Medics now are way more timid than their counterparts. I have been told of how in the 50-60s they would inject someone with muscle relaxant, dip there hand in black paint and see how far they could run down a corridor, with someone to resus till the relaxant wore off.

The young never act in the way the older do because they don't have the experience and do not yet have the responsibilities of a family.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely agree, god knows what has happened to the traditional British stiff upper lip which made the country great (bulldog mentality etc) !

Infantalisation, tbh this was always coming.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe Lester)
    I don't see young people really changing stuff...
    what have you ever done to "change stuff"????

ReputationRep:
    Also what is wrong with being sentimental?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    Also what is wrong with being sentimental?
    It's pretend not felt emotion - so people find it distasteful, often displayed in order to gain something.

ReputationRep:
    The thing is the usual suspects can say "oh no every generation says the same thing about young people blah blah blah".

But it's quite obvious to anyone with a pair of eyes that there has been a genuine social decline in this country (along with its more general decline), anyone who has the misfortune to have to go on a bus in the rush hours particularly with school children will tell you that there has been a total decline in people's civility to one another - that schoolchildren believe they are in charge (because that is what they are taught nowadays) and have no respect.

ReputationRep:
    What a hideous and bleakthing to say. I don't agree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamrules247)
    Totally agree! Warner is my favourite blogger at the Telegraph!!!!
    Hannan?!?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    Hannan?!?!
    Yeah Hannan writes well, but I sometimes find him a bit naïve and idealistic. For example he called, in a recent blog, capitalism "perfect". Now I agree that capitalism is by far the best market but as we know, it is far from perfect. I have gone off Hannan a bit recently.

He's been replaced by Warner and Tebbit.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah Hannan writes well, but I sometimes find him a bit naïve and idealistic. For example he called, in a recent blog, capitalism "perfect". Now I agree that capitalism is by far the best market but as we know, it is far from perfect. I have gone off Hannan a bit recently.

He's been replaced by Warner and Tebbit.
    Tebbit is good, I've not read Warner, and capitalism is perfect, so, there we go :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    Tebbit is good, I've not read Warner, and capitalism is perfect, so, there we go :P
    Read Warner. he doesn't post a lot but when he does it is gold. I think the last 18 months have shown us capitalism isn't perfect, but it's the closest you're going to get.

ReputationRep:
    Read Warner. he doesn't post a lot but when he does it is gold. I think the last 18 months have shown us capitalism isn't perfect, but it's the closest you're going to get.
    What do the latest 18 months show us about capitalism? How is Government monopoly over currency a symbol that capitalism isn't perfect? If anything, it appears to be the opposite.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 27, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.