Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The sentimentality and infantilisation of Britain watch

ReputationRep:
    Same old tory trash...
    Yes people like celebrities and the X-factor, yes we are now a more open society.
    But do you want to return to a time where culture was the preserve of the upper classes, because only they could afford books?
    Just because the only picture we have of the 19th century is that given to us by upper class writers means that we convieniantly forget that this time of 'moral rigueur' saw the abuse of women and children which one could not imagine nowadays.
    The democratisation of culture may have given us Katie Price, but we also got Hendrix.
    The welfare state gave basic dignity to every briton, if you want to find the culprit for today's crappy music/Tv/books just look at the entrepreneurs ready to make a quick buck selling boybands.
    Art has always been subject to the rules of the market (Renaissance painters painted comissions and such), but I suppose that the predominance of the market in todays society has lead to this more superficial entertainment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    What do the latest 18 months show us about capitalism? How is Government monopoly over currency a symbol that capitalism isn't perfect? If anything, it appears to be the opposite.
    In the last 18 months the markets have crashed. That is a perfect example of how capitalism isn't perfect. Financial downturns and the like does happen in every economy but if Capitalism was perfect then it wouldn't happen. But like I said, it is the closest damn thing to perfect.

EDIT: Just re-read that blog. Hannan doesn't say it's perfect. My bad. He actually makes the same point is I just have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamrules247)
    In the last 18 months the markets have crashed. That is a perfect example of how capitalism isn't perfect. Financial downturns and the like does happen in every economy but if Capitalism was perfect then it wouldn't happen. But like I said, it is the closest damn thing to perfect.

EDIT: Just re-read that blog. Hannan doesn't say it's perfect. My bad. He actually makes the same point is I just have.
    You didn't answer the question. How does Government control of currency equate to capitalism being imperfect?

ReputationRep:
    You didn't answer the question. How does Government control of currency equate to capitalism being imperfect?
    I never said it did. The main reason unregulated, pure capitalism is imperfect is because it create market monopolies.

ReputationRep:
    I never said it did.
    What do you buy things with on the market? Currency, amirite? Who controls the quantity of the currency available in the market?#

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austria...s_cycle_theory as im going to go cook now

ReputationRep:
    The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for
    authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place
    of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their
    households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They
    contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties
    at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.
    Who said it?

ReputationRep:
    Get ******. Just because this woman has clearly never experienced what to her must be a vacuous notion of 'fun,' it doesn't give her the right to say how undergraduate students should or shouldn't behave. How does what we wear affect anybody? Are we supposed to be in suits and tweed jackets? Grow the **** up. This isn't Oxford in the 50s, we are living in a modern, cosmopolitan age where different points of view, beliefs and fashion sense is embraced. It makes us more interesting people - it makes university more interesting! And of course we're going to act like 'yoofs' sometimes, it's called letting your hair down. What a miserable world it would be if we had to walk around with a pole up our arse discussing the latest political twists and turns in smug accents and smug clothes. There are opportunities to do that at university (debating society anyone?!) but there is so much more to life than that.

Sorry that was a bit of a disjointed rant but people like that really get on my tits.

ReputationRep:
    What do you buy things with on the market? Currency, amirite? Who controls the quantity of the currency available in the market?#

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austria...s_cycle_theory as im going to go cook now
    And my point that it unregulated capitalism creates monopoly markets

You have failed to understand my point. If unlimited capitalism was perfect we wouldn't have had a financial melt down. It isn't perfect, that much is clear, but it is better than all other systems of economics. It allows freedom and inspires entrepreneurship, etc..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WEB)
    what have you ever done to "change stuff"????
    Well if you had actually read my post and not deleted 90% of it you would see that i included myself in the Topshop, apathetic quartile.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DannyBoy123)
    Get ******. Just because this woman has clearly never experienced what to her must be a vacuous notion of 'fun,' it doesn't give her the right to say how undergraduate students should or shouldn't behave. How does what we wear affect anybody? Are we supposed to be in suits and tweed jackets? Grow the **** up. This isn't Oxford in the 50s, we are living in a modern, cosmopolitan age where different points of view, beliefs and fashion sense is embraced. It makes us more interesting people - it makes university more interesting! And of course we're going to act like 'yoofs' sometimes, it's called letting your hair down. What a miserable world it would be if we had to walk around with a pole up our arse discussing the latest political twists and turns in smug accents and smug clothes. There are opportunities to do that at university (debating society anyone?!) but there is so much more to life than that.

Sorry that was a bit of a disjointed rant but people like that really get on my tits.
    Well that's your view. However because of the way people now dress at uni it has taken away to sense of proffesionalism that was once within the uni system.

ReputationRep:
    Well that's your view. However because of the way people now dress at uni it has taken away to sense of proffesionalism that was once within the uni system.
    I hate people who say things like 'because of the way people are now' - it's such Daily Mail inspired BS. You really think people weren't dressing how they pleased (often in weird and wacky clothes) in the 70s, 80s and 90s? I know for a fact there were a number of David Bowie look-a-likes running around Durham in the 80s because my Dad was a student there then. :rolleyes:

Oh and what a surprise, you're a 6th former who thinks he knows everything about university without ever having experienced it.

ReputationRep:
    No, it just means that uni is no longer an elitist institution. What does it matter what you wear at university? As free thinking adults it simply shouldn't matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nolongerhearthemusic)
    And people have been complaining about "the youth of today" for thousands of years.
    Our teacher told us about something Socrates/Plato/Aristotle (I forget which) wrote about how the Youth of Athens were so terrible, lazy and generally self-centred that they would destroy the city with their waywardness.

Athens is still on the map over 2000 years later, I think he maybe was a bit pessimistic :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iwilson03)
    No, it just means that uni is no longer an elitist institution. What does it matter what you wear at university? As free thinking adults it simply shouldn't matter.
    oooo, I hate that term, free thinking adults. It doesn't imply maturity at all. Something which is embraced when you don to correct, proffessional clothes. I am sure the PM is a free thinking person. Doesn't stop him from wearing a suit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DannyBoy123)
    I hate people who say things like 'because of the way people are now' - it's such Daily Mail inspired BS. You really think people weren't dressing how they pleased (often in weird and wacky clothes) in the 70s, 80s and 90s? I know for a fact there were a number of David Bowie look-a-likes running around Durham in the 80s because my Dad was a student there then. :rolleyes:

Oh and what a surprise, you're a 6th former who thinks he knows everything about university without ever having experienced it.
    I am well aware. But they certainly didn't in the 40s and 50s. What the hell is your problem. Oh and what a surprise, you're a 6th former who thinks he knows everything about university without ever having experienced it. I never proffessed to know anything about uni except this: It is a working, proffessional environment where one goes to gain a qualification. Therefore one should dress proffessionally.

ReputationRep:
    oooo, I hate that term free thinking adults. It doesn't imply maturity at all. Something which is embraced when you don to correct, proffessional clothes. I am sure the PM is a free thinking person. Doesn't stop him from wearing a suit.
    So? The point is that you are there to learn, why not wear whatever you are comfortable in? If that's a suit then go for it, but as mature adults it shouldn't matter how people dress.

ReputationRep:
    I am well aware. But they certainly didn't in the 40s and 50s.
    And? Barely anybody went to university then. Do you think the clothes worn in the 1950s were the same as what were worn in 1900 or 1850 or 1800 or 1750 or 1700 or 1650 or 1600...you get my point. The clothes of today simply weren't available then. The world changes and moves...so does fashion. I fail to see how the transition from suits to jeans and t-shirt is a bad thing?

ReputationRep:
    I am well aware. But they certainly didn't in the 40s and 50s. What the hell is your problem. Oh and what a surprise, you're a 6th former who thinks he knows everything about university without ever having experienced it. I never proffessed to know anything about uni except this: It is a working, proffessional environment where one goes to gain a qualification. Therefore one should dress proffessionally.

Are you forgetting that one pays to attend university? One should wear whatever the hell one wants. I have no doubt your mummy and daddy will buy you a wardorbe of double breasted finery. But like the individual above points out, university is no longer so elitist as to have a dress code...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iwilson03)
    So? The point is that you are there to learn, why not wear whatever you are comfortable in? If that's a suit then go for it, but as mature adults it shouldn't matter how people dress.
    Well that's your view. Because I persoanlly think they look damn scruffy and immature. Far, far from being adults. It's the same as if I was the leader of the opposition or the PM and a member of my shadow cabinet came in without a tie I would warn him to find one within 20 minutes or he would be fired on the spot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeolus)
    Are you forgetting that one pays to attend university? One should wear whatever the hell one wants. I have no doubt your mummy and daddy will buy you a wardorbe of double breasted finery. But like the individual above points out, university is no longer so elitist as to have a dress code...
    So what. I also doubt how my mummy and daddy are going to pay for a suit as one lives on the other side of the world and the other at Sainsbury's. The one suit I do have a saved damn hard for you assumptive little turd.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 27, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.