Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The sentimentality and infantilisation of Britain Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamrules247)
    Well I am still waiting to my apology........

I have nothing to apologise for. Rude assumption is to be expected in the face of perposterous opinion. I wonder, will you be wearing your suit at university every single day? Or will you cede and dress like the commmon ruffians who enjoy learning in comfort?

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm: YOu say people wore suits because they were Tory's? When John presscot went to uni he remarked that all the poor kids wore suits for the first lecture whilst the posh kids wore casual clothing.

Here is my valid answer. It is a proffessional place of work so one should dress properly.
    I was referring to the days when uni was a tory-fest. I.e., before John Presscot was old enough to attend uni (and in fact, did he not attend when he was quite old?) :facepalm:

It is not a professional place of work - there are no customers are there? Apart from the students themselves of course...

It is a place of learning. Again, why are suits needed? The answer is they aren't, you just want to bring back the 'glory days' whenever they were.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    I believe that the only regulation required is that provided by the Civil Courts; enforcement of contracts, enforcement of Tort law (negligence, so on and so forth) and that the English Common Law would develop to solve economic regulation problems like it has done in the past. Six hundred years ago, Britain didn't have a law of contracts. It didn't have a law of negligence, or any other kind of tort. These things were created by the Courts without Parliament ever really needing to intervene in them. People do not need Parliament to tell them how to live. The Common Law is entirely sufficient for that. Politicians act for the extension of their own power. Judges and Courts by definition cannot extend their own power and act in the best interests of the people and of justice and liberty.

You just said "control of interest rates isn't going to... start a recession" without replying to my point about how control of interest rates did start our present recession. I would do that first before making assumptions.
    Well then that is where you and I disagree. There is a greedy class of bankers who do not work hard and run large risks to make more money. You need restrictions to stop this greed and stop banks lending to people who can't afford it. Fact

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iwilson03)
    I was referring to the days when uni was a tory-fest. I.e., before John Presscot was old enough to attend uni (and in fact, did he not attend when he was quite old?) :facepalm:

It is not a professional place of work - there are no customers are there? Apart from the students themselves of course...

It is a place of learning. Again, why are suits needed? The answer is they aren't, you just want to bring back the 'glory days' whenever they were.
    Well quite frankly you didn't make that clear.

It is a proffessional place of work. These people are attempting to gain a qualification designed to take them on to higher areas of proffessionalism.

Why are they needed. Because they are the de fecto proffessional wear.

ReputationRep:
    Well then that is where you and I disagree. There is a greedy class of bankers who do not work hard and run large risks to make more money. You need restrictions to stop this greed and stop banks lending to people who can't afford it. Fact
    Was Henry Ford greedy when he became fantastically rich by making automobiles affordable? Greed, i.e. the desire to better yourself above all else, is the reason why we live in such comfort today. Halting greed halts economic growth: fact.

By the way, many bankers actually work significantly harder than most working class people, they just get paid a lot lot more. It's a myth that the professional classes don't work hard; just ask any trainee doctor, lawyer, or banker. Some banks even have shirt shops in their main buildings because they know that their employees don't have the time to even iron their clothing!

ReputationRep:
    Well quite frankly you didn't make that clear.

It is a proffessional place of work. These people are attempting to gain a qualification designed to take them on to higher areas of proffessionalism.

Why are they needed. Because they are the de fecto proffessional wear.
    So what? They are not in a professional work place yet. They are learning. This does not require suits, you are not trying to sell anything, suits are both impractical and unnecessary. Therefore you should wear what you are comfortable with. I don't see how you are struggling with this?

And in regards to professional 'wear' I think many successful companies would disagree with you, google for instance (I don't know if you've heard of it, this is their homepage). But again, besides the point. University is a whole different thing.

Edit: and I think the tory-fest thing was pretty clear. I said it was no longer a tory-fest, when was uni last a tory-fest? Well probably before WW2 to be honest...

ReputationRep:
    Was Henry Ford greedy when he became fantastically rich by making automobiles affordable? Greed, i.e. the desire to better yourself above all else, is the reason why we live in such comfort today. Halting greed halts economic growth: fact.

By the way, many bankers actually work significantly harder than most working class people, they just get paid a lot lot more. It's a myth that the professional classes don't work hard; just ask any trainee doctor, lawyer, or banker. Some banks even have shirt shops in their main buildings because they know that their employees don't have the time to even iron their clothing!
    No it doesn't stop economic growth. It restricts it or 'moves it to the side' I am talking about the people at the top of their proffessions. As for Ford, that was a different era, that was the era where an employer could afford to pay for health insurence, etc. Those days are gone.

Since we are on economics here, I thought I'd mention that by Ford creating so many model Ts led to the price becoming depressed. As I am sure you know.

ReputationRep:
    So what? They are not in a professional work place yet. They are learning. This does not require suits, you are not trying to sell anything, suits are both impractical and unnecessary. Therefore you should wear what you are comfortable with. I don't see how you are struggling with this?

And in regards to professional 'wear' I think many successful companies would disagree with you, google for instance (I don't know if you've heard of it, this is their homepage). But again, besides the point. University is a whole different thing.

Edit: and I think the tory-fest thing was pretty clear. I said it was no longer a tory-fest, when was uni last a tory-fest? Well probably before WW2 to be honest...
    As to your last point : Well I was refering to the Torys still there. Valid point.

I am well aware of google stupid polices of bean bags. While they are learning to work.

ReputationRep:
    As to your last point : Well I was refering to the Torys still there. Valid point.

I am well aware of google stupid polices of bean bags. While they are learning to work.
    What? You say so much yet so little.

ReputationRep:
    No it doesn't stop economic growth. It restricts it or 'moves it to the side' I am talking about the people at the top of their proffessions. As for Ford, that was a different era, that was the era where an employer could afford to pay for health insurence, etc. Those days are gone.
    How do you "move" economic growth to the side? Unless economic growth goes upwards, its either stagnant or decreasing. It doesn't "move to the side." (I will say that restricting economic growth is the same thing as stopping economic growth). The people at the top of any profession earn alot. You've already mentioned entrepreneurship; that's the reward for becoming an entrepreneur in the first place.

Fun fact: If the US Economy had grown by 1% less than it had done each year in the 20th century, the US would have a GDP per capita of Mexico.

Since we are on economics here, I thought I'd mention that by Ford creating so many model Ts led to the price becoming depressed. As I am sure you know.
    Do you think this is a bad thing? You yourself have mentioned how you have to work hard & save up to get what you want, why is the price on anything getting lower a bad thing?

(We have been on economics from almost the start, although you seem to have tried to dodge it a few times.)

ReputationRep:
    What? You say so much yet so little.
    Huh, what?

ReputationRep:
    "self-esteem...were not allowed"

Oh goddddd what have we become!

ReputationRep:
    Huh, what?
    What you said didn't further the conversation at all. In fact you are simply trying to avoid the point of it: for you to give a valid reason for wearing suits at uni other than some vague misconception about it being a professional work environment which we both know is untrue, and certainly does not necessitate the wearing of one particular type of clothing over another.

ReputationRep:
    Do you think this is a bad thing? You yourself have mentioned how you have to work hard & save up to get what you want, why is the price on anything getting lower a bad thing?

(We have been on economics from almost the start, although you seem to have tried to dodge it a few times.)

Because obviously when the price decreases demand rises, prices fall. Everybody's got one. Oh look to company closes/does badly. Not a good thing. I am against this idea of a quick buck.

I'll admit that economics isn't an area that I am all together confiedent with. I do believe it is somewhat a house of cards whichever way you look at it.

ReputationRep:
    What you said didn't further the conversation at all. In fact you are simply trying to avoid the point of it: for you to give a valid reason for wearing suits at uni other than some vague misconception about it being a professional work environment which we both know is untrue, and certainly does not necessitate the wearing of one particular type of clothing over another.
    I was saying that it is a proffesional environment which you go to learn various skills. I say start as you mean to go on.

I am well aware of Google's beanbag polices. Which I regard as ridiculous, it is only one business. Look at any bank and the accountants, banker, etc still wear a two piece.

ReputationRep:
    Because obviously when the price decreases demand rises, prices fall. Everybody's got one. Oh look to company closes/does badly. Not a good thing. I am against this idea of a quick buck.
    Things that you don't consume in economics are called "durables." There are tons of durable markets. Cars, washing machines, televisions & computers: these markets haven't collapsed and aren't even about to, they're still going strong in the recession.

I'll admit that economics isn't an area that I am all together confiedent with. I do believe it is somewhat a house of cards whichever way you look at it.
    Anyone interested in politics should be interested in economics and economic theory, without them politics is entirely pointless. Politics is only the application of philosophy & economics.

ReputationRep:
    Things that you don't consume in economics are called "durables." There are tons of durable markets. Cars, washing machines, televisions & computers: these markets haven't collapsed and aren't even about to, they're still going strong in the recession.

Anyone interested in politics should be interested in economics and economic theory, without them politics is entirely pointless. Politics is only the application of philosophy & economics.
    Cars going strong in the recession? You are aware of the problems GM has been facing.

I agree, I am still a novice and cannot be bothered to read long wiki articles at this time of night. I am interested in the social aspects of politics.

ReputationRep:
    I was saying that it is a proffesional environment which you go to learn various skills. I say start as you mean to go on.

I am well aware of Google's beanbag polices. Which I regard as ridiculous, it is only one business. Look at any bank and the accountants, banker, etc still wear a two piece.
    No, you said it was a professional working environment. Now you change your mind, but still wearing suits at uni is entirely unnecessary and uncalled for in an environment where, as adults, students should be able to wear whatever they want and nobody should care (unless it is particularly offensive).

A sidenote, it could even reduce the competitiveness of our unis. I wonder how many foreign students would pay big bucks to learn in a room of sweaty uni students in suits, or how many British students would rather go elsewhere because of an idea as ridiculous as this?

ReputationRep:
    Cars going strong in the recession? You are aware of the problems GM has been facing.
    Aside from the fact that GM is not the sole manufacturer of cars everywhere, the basic notion that durable markets do not crash because durables become cheap is still true.

ReputationRep:
    Aside from the fact that GM is not the sole manufacturer of cars everywhere, the basic notion that durable markets do not crash because durables become cheap is still true.
    The Great Depression much......

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 27, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.