Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Looking to find out from current Stirling students what the accomodation is like for the 'later' years! I've been offered 2nd year entry and I'm looking at making Stirling my firm choice but wondered what the flats and chalets are like?

Also are there many 'mature' students on campus?! I'm not that old (only 23!) but I'll be 24 in October and will be starting this course 6 years after my first and I don't want to be the only oldie staying on campus.

Thanks guys

ReputationRep:
    For second years going into the uni owned accommodation it tends to be a flat set ups, up on or off campus - but if you want to go into halls you should. Last year there was a 25 year old bloke staying on the floor below me and he didn't get treated any differently than anyone else. I would try and avoid any of the off campus developments though (Union Street, Lower Bridge Street, etc) as they all have very thin walls and cost an absolute fortune in electricity. I would probably say to you go into halls - thicker walls and you don't have to worry about paying anything above the rent for heat or electricity as it's included in the price.

ReputationRep:
    I like the look of the flats (Donelly, Fraser, Alexander Court etc) and the Chalets.

Are there quite a few people in their mid twenties around on campus? I get on with anyone really, I'm not an age snob! I'm just past my party animal stage and don't want to be stuck in the first year halls because I think I'd hate it lol!

ReputationRep:
    I'd say a good percentage of people aren't just 18 or mature students - there's definitely going to be people on your course who will be about your age. Unless you're a mature student of 30+, no one really cares about age. It's probably quite likely that people won't realise you're a few years older until you tell them. I get it the other way around, everyone thinks I'm about 22, when really I'm only 19.

I would assume the on campus housing is much better than the off campus ones where I am - everythings a bit white breeze block on campus, but the walls are much thicker and warmer. The places you're looking at are made up of flats of usually around 6 bedrooms so it's a bit like being in mini-halls.

ReputationRep:
    I can't wait to go to the applicant day and have a look around!

ReputationRep:
    I;m not sure if they take you to any of the flat accommodation on the applicant days, maybe just the halls. I'm not really sure.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to ask for them to specifically show me 2nd year accommodation. I'll ask in advance... it's only fair I get to see what I'm applying for!

I looked around the chalets today when I was on campus. They look really nice but I bet they are really popular!

ReputationRep:
    I just found out that even though I'm a 2nd year entrant I'm being treated as a 'new' undergraduate so I only have the same options as 1st years. Which is fair. But it sucks lol. I don't want to be sharing with lots of teenagers away from home for the first time. I'm not trying to generalise but I'm clean, I like my sleep and I do dishes lol.

Plus I don't know how I'd cope without a freezer! I like to cook proper food!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweetnesspink)
    I just found out that even though I'm a 2nd year entrant I'm being treated as a 'new' undergraduate so I only have the same options as 1st years. Which is fair. But it sucks lol. I don't want to be sharing with lots of teenagers away from home for the first time. I'm not trying to generalise but I'm clean, I like my sleep and I do dishes lol.

Plus I don't know how I'd cope without a freezer! I like to cook proper food!
    First years could apply for Alexander Court last year which is all flats - not sure if you can this year as well, but I would assume it's likely. Not sure if they have freezers in Ali Court though.

And you will probably hate halls. Constantly noisy, people don't like to do their dishes and a majority of people can't cope without their mums - my boyfriend still takes his washing home to his mum!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that sounds like hell to me. I would have loved it when I was 17/18 though lol!!

Yeah the accommodation office are being really nice and patient with my constant emails, which I'm thankful for and they have said I can apply for Alexander Court and I can put on my form that I'd like to share with other 'mature' students (I hate that word btw... I'd rather it was 'older' students. Just because I'm 23/24 doesn't make me anymore mature than anyone else!)

It's hard to guage on a map how far away Alexander Court is from the teaching buildings but it doesn't look to bad. Plus I'm taking my bike on campus!

One thing she hasn't clarified for me is the car rule. 1st years on campus aren't allowed cars. I wont be a first year... therefore?! I'm my Mum's carer and I need access to my car at a moments notice so that I can be home within the hour. So I need to email again... poor woman at the acc office!

ReputationRep:
    Oh and what's wrong with Murray and Geddes lol? Why are they much cheaper than the other halls?!

ReputationRep:
    Ali Court is a 15 or 20 minute walk from the main teaching buildings - a bit further than everywhere else. It's unlikely that anyone over the age of 25 will choose to live in student accommodation so it's likely you'll either be with a bunch of 18 year olds or other people who are in their early/mid 20s. Take a bike lock - a proper heavy duty one and not one from the £1 shop. They're one of the first things drunk people go for when they want to have a "laugh".

With the car rule I think it's all about circumstances - you aren't a first year and you have a genuine reason that you need the car so it's very unlikely they'll tell you know. Just remember you'll have to buy a parking permit which is priced on your engines Carbon emissions (or engine size, but I suppose the bigger the engine the bigger the emissions) and they're quite expensive! And just keep emailing them - whenever I go in they're just sitting about doing nothing so it's not like you're taking them away from important work!

Geddes is much cheaper than anywhere because it's affectionately known as "the Ghetto". It is quite genuinely a dump and somewhere you will hate to live - it's the "party" hall. It's fine for people who just want a place to sleep and eat, but not brilliant for someone who likes a little bit of quite and cleanliness. It's also based on the design of a prison so...

Murray is cheaper because it's so big - it's the biggest hall for first years and not as horrible than Geddes, but it's certainly no AKD.

ReputationRep:
    You're so helpful btw! Thank you so much

Do you know I get on well with people of all ages, I have friends spanning 17 - 50 but I am pretty set in my ways with cleanliness and it's much easier to keep a kitchen for 4 - 7 people clean than for 12-15 people! Early/mid twenties is all good so hopefully that'll be who I share with.

My car has very low emissions so I think I'll be in the lowest category for a permit which is good!

ReputationRep:
    It's better that you here what the actual accommodation is like from someone who's actually lived in it! If I was you I would have my options as Ali Court, ASH (the more expensive en suites tend to attract slightly older students) and then AKD (as it's not as much of a dump as say Geddes - but it's close!). There's only so much that the people in the accommodation office are going to tell you.

And keeping a kitchen for smaller people clean isn't always easier when you have one or two people who just can't clean. Sad, but true. These kinds of people never grow out of it though, sadly. It's the awkward "I don't know you very well so I don't want to offend you by telling you to clean your mess up" kind of thing. Just try and get over it straight away and let everyone know that you would much prefer and appreciate a tidy kitchen.

ReputationRep:
    She is bias, murray hall is the best and quite nice in the west I wake up to the sound of ducks lol

ASH is so quiet and there is lots of international students there that keep to themselves lol. I know mature students that moved to ASH/AKD because it was quieter lol

Im friends with a 23 year old and its fine loadsa people are older more often than not lol

About clean and tidy, to be honest it's just like that living with anyone else anyway :p:

Worst comes to the worst you can live with me

ReputationRep:
    I'm not biased, I'm just practical - if she hates noise then she'd hate Murray. AKD was always pretty quite when I lived there as well and the facilities are slightly better than the other non-en suit halls because it was done up more recently than the others. For halls, the ultimate choice would be ASH because, as you said lots of foreign and older students who keep to themselves and don't make much noise. Bigger kitchens too.

If you have the time, you could always find a job in Stirling - a lot of first years don't bother with jobs or have jobs at home so the rest of your work mates will tend to be older. I much prefer spending time with my 22 - 45 year old work mates than my horrible flat mates! Though obviously that might not be possible in your circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'll definitely have to get a job! I'm self funding my degree, tuition fees and all!

I'm starting to doubt my leaning towards Stirling so I'm going to wait til I recieve all my offers before I make any decisions!

ReputationRep:
    Well when you do make a decision, make sure you let me know!

ReputationRep:
    I will!! You're been incredibly helpful

ReputationRep:
    Have asked before but didnt get any results so here goes again,
    does anyone have photos of interiors of Union St. flats

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Stirling
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  2. University of Stirling
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Oct '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.