Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Count me in on the L100! Hopefully we all shall meet this October!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by placenta medicae talpae)
    Lol, I agree - Mandelson really is quite the thing.
    He gets blamed for everything; in his previous job, I felt so sorry for him when the French government felt like pouring scorn all over him for something he was only casually connected with (can't remember what that was).
    It's funny about Oxford being a lefty place! :p:

I guess that times are hard and we're all going to have to feel the squeeze.
    And, as uni students, we should be willing to take on our fair share of it
    I mean, Mandy's probably not my cup of tea on a personal basis but his political skills are excellent. The difference between the Labour team for this election and the Tory team is an interesting reflection of the way both parties work. Cameron's people are basically his mates from school. Brown's got Mandelson, Campbell (I think?), Obama's web people, and I'm fairly sure David Axelrod and David Plouffe (who between them won Obama the presidency!) are advising in an informal capacity. That's the reason Labour are still in this!

There are lots of Tories that work in Oxford but they all live in the surrounding countryside... city council has no Tories at all!

I've got to say I'm dead against the uni cuts... I think areas like Trident should be cut before investment in the future gets the axe. But Cameron would be even worse.

Just firmed Warwick on Track... feels so good! Even stupid A-levels can't ruin this one for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdHock)
    I mean, Mandy's probably not my cup of tea on a personal basis but his political skills are excellent. The difference between the Labour team for this election and the Tory team is an interesting reflection of the way both parties work. Cameron's people are basically his mates from school. Brown's got Mandelson, Campbell (I think?), Obama's web people, and I'm fairly sure David Axelrod and David Plouffe (who between them won Obama the presidency!) are advising in an informal capacity. That's the reason Labour are still in this!

There are lots of Tories that work in Oxford but they all live in the surrounding countryside... city council has no Tories at all!

I've got to say I'm dead against the uni cuts... I think areas like Trident should be cut before investment in the future gets the axe. But Cameron would be even worse.

Just firmed Warwick on Track... feels so good! Even stupid A-levels can't ruin this one for me
    Woo, congrats on firming Warwick!
    The next and nearly final stage in the admin will then be sorting out accommodation then (if you've done Student Finance too :woo:).

So do you think that Labour would be completely out of this if they hadn't bought/shipped in all of this support?
    I think it's interesting/bizarre that loads of people are saying that they would love it to be a "hung parliament" next time.

Hmm, yeah, I think it's quite right to be against university cuts!
    But there are plans for extra stuff to do with unis too (I can't exactly remember what, but it's on the Twittersphere atm ... do you have Twitter btw?)
    EDIT: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8585143.stm is a link referring to what I meant here.
    Yeah, I'm slightly against Trident as well, in a way which other might well perceive as naive.

Haang on, so there is not a single Tory councillor there? o.O
    I live in a Labour-biased place, but I reckon the Conservatives will get at least one of North and South Warrington.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by placenta medicae talpae)
    Woo, congrats on firming Warwick!
    The next and nearly final stage in the admin will then be sorting out accommodation then (if you've done Student Finance too :woo:).

So do you think that Labour would be completely out of this if they hadn't bought/shipped in all of this support?
    I think it's interesting/bizarre that loads of people are saying that they would love it to be a "hung parliament" next time.

Hmm, yeah, I think it's quite right to be against university cuts!
    But there are plans for extra stuff to do with unis too (I can't exactly remember what, but it's on the Twittersphere atm ... do you have Twitter btw?)
    EDIT: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8585143.stm is a link referring to what I meant here.
    Yeah, I'm slightly against Trident as well, in a way which other might well perceive as naive.

Haang on, so there is not a single Tory councillor there? o.O
    I live in a Labour-biased place, but I reckon the Conservatives will get at least one of North and South Warrington.
    Yeah, I will be getting finance done this weekend and then accom! Quick question - Track said I should receive a confirmation letter... do Warwick send an email along with a hard copy? I'm in India for quite some time so obviously I can't pick up physical mail

I mean, I think the polls would have tightened anyway, but having good strategists makes a real difference. Cameron has been basically on the back foot since the Hewitt/Hoon coup attempt, constantly making unforced errors, and Labour have been very ruthless in seizing on the smallest things and, most importantly, weaving them together to create a coherent narrative (i.e. 'Cameron's out of touch, you can't trust him, he's just a regular Tory'). Not a pretty narrative but very effective!

Cameron's team on the other hand just seems to be muddling through, big on day-to-day tactics but lacking a coherent strategy. They seem to have been fooled by earlier polls showing huge leads that were really just a mile wide and an inch deep - pretty naive if you're playing at this level. He may still pull it off but he should never have let this get close. And Osborne is a joke who never should have been appointed in the first place.

I'm on Twitter but don't really go on it much... am more of a Facebook person!

I mean, I am opposed to Trident on moral grounds but I also think that it's basically a financial black hole, which is going to cost billions which could be used productively elsewhere.

Current make-up of Oxford City Council:

Labour: 23
    Lib Dems: 16
    Greens: 7
    Independent Working Class Association: 2
    Tories: 0

:woo:

ReputationRep:
    flaming dragon!
    well done mate when did you here?
    yeah i want to go up aswell plus look at accommodation...have you found if there is one?

matt

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brownie10105)
    flaming dragon!
    well done mate when did you here?
    yeah i want to go up aswell plus look at accommodation...have you found if there is one?

matt
    heard last night man. just got an email from ucas.
    i guess there has to be an open day and i suppose they send out a pack of info and conformation of the offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emily2406)
    I'e firmed now feels good now I know where I'm (hopefully) going. I haven't really thought much about accomodation, but I was thinking Jack Martin or Rootes because I was reading a forum on here earlier and Jack Martin seemed the best en suite for what I'm looking for and Rootes seemed nice on the open day, only I've heard Rootes can be quite lively (don't know if this is a good thing or not)

Have you looked at accomodation? Have you been on a post offer open day?

JM looks really good, but I'm not too fussed about an en suite so I'll probably go for Rootes. Indeed I have done, and loved it. I made my chioce of Warwick after that post offer open day. I'm so excited now! Hopefully, grades permitting, I'll see you in September!

ReputationRep:
    just firmed warwick few minutes ago... A in Further Math, I'm gotta dieeee

ReputationRep:
    firmed MMORSE and got the letter through the post from UCAS today

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by klhl)
    firmed MMORSE and got the letter through the post from UCAS today
    Congrats mi amiga, see you there!

ReputationRep:
    warwick for straight politics anyone?
    also rootes vs jack martin... i feel my own shower may be essential?

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ecg)
    warwick for straight politics anyone?
    also rootes vs jack martin... i feel my own shower may be essential?
    Me :woo: did you go to any of the dept.open days?

ReputationRep:
    Firmed for Philosophy with Psychology . For accomadatio im thinking Arthur Vicks, definitely want an En suite if possible .

Does any1 know when application for accomadation will be open??

ReputationRep:
    No idea...should be open soon as it says spring...

Im checking every day though..

ReputationRep:
    Just LOL at the person who's scanning this thread and -ve repping all the welsh people.

I'm gonna subscribe again just to see who you are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reems)
    Just LOL at the person who's scanning this thread and -ve repping all the welsh people.

I'm gonna subscribe again just to see who you are.
    Lmao who is that guy?!

Incidentally whereabouts in Wales are you from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdHock)
    Lmao who is that guy?!

Incidentally whereabouts in Wales are you from?

Barry....:o:

ReputationRep:
    Welsh accents are sexy.

This student finance lark is so long and boring, I keep doing a bit, getting bored and stopping lol. I wanna apply for accommodation as soon as possible really, though I'm not too worried about not getting a place in Rootes

ReputationRep:
    I'm*firming*Management*but*I *can't*pick*accommodation*ti ll*July*because*of*my*IB*

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.