The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick firmers 2010 :)

Scroll to see replies

TheTallOne
Well there are only 151 rooms for first years in Heronbank. To my knowledge I know two Maths students who live there. Proportionally you would expect a total of 15 Maths students living there. The walk is about 15-20 minutes to Maths. Add another 5 to get to Tesco and a shopping trip will take nearly an hour just walking there and back. Heronbank also has a larger proportion of international students - mainly due to the 39 week let and en suite. Don't know much more that that to be honest.

I would assume that there would be fewer Maths students, unless the need for 39 week + en suite outweighs the inconvenience of the distance.

Hmm :shifty:

I'll probably put AV then HB (since it looks basically identical to lakeside, minus the construction work in the back). If I don't get AV, at least I'll have lots of geese :h:
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
It's now the 25th and we still cant apply for accommodation, the suspense is killing me!
Reply 802
yes i agree... and the website says: middle of May!!
Reply 803
hey juz wondering... do u guys know of any suitable reading materials that we should get prior to this?
yeohaikal
hey juz wondering... do u guys know of any suitable reading materials that we should get prior to this?

What course are you doing?
yeohaikal
yes i agree... and the website says: middle of May!!

It's "late May" now. I'm just waiting for it to change to late September :P
Firmed my Film Studies offer about a month ago. Very excited!
Reply 807
TheTallOne
You get the joys of Dennis Novy in Introduction to Quantitative Economics next year :colonhash:

But seriously if you're a Maths student consider doing it as the module counts for 20% of a normal load and ranks pretty high on the low work high return scale.

Would you also definitely recommend this module for someone *considering* switching to MORSE in the second year? How common is it to switch? Also TallOne, would you be the person to ask how it compares to something like A-level economics (which I'm really hating right now :mad:)? (How is it assessed? And how does it really fit in to the maths course?)
jakash
Would you also definitely recommend this module for someone *considering* switching to MORSE in the second year? How common is it to switch? Also TallOne, would you be the person to ask how it compares to something like A-level economics (which I'm really
hating right now :mad:)? (How is it assessed? And how does it really fit in to the maths course?)

IQE is core in the MORSE first year, I believe. I'm not sure how easy a switch it - it does involve you switching departments from Maths to Stats so it is more difficult than say a switch to Maths and Economics. Once you start in October you will end up having to do a year in the Maths department though and then a switch will be considered between first and second. A switch straight away has occurred before but this depends on intake/number of people wanting to go the other way.

The module is 24 CATS, a normal year is worth 120 CATS and you're meant to spend a total of 10 hours per CAT at some point during the year. I'd say the workload per CAT is much less for this module. 25% of it is done with 4 class tests throughout terms 1 and 2 - the first two are multiple choice/simple calculations (the test is practically the same each year), the last two have a small multiple choice section but most of it is theory. The first term is Microeconomics, the second term is Macroeconomics. First term covers supply and demand, Edgeworth box, a bit of Game theory, production function, utility off the top of my head. Macro contains Solow model, IS-LM, Aggregate Supply/Demand, Mundell Fleming model, and a good part on monetary and fiscal policy using diagrams to explain it.

Final 75% is in a 2 hour exam in the summer. Once you get your head around it is a pretty easy module, probably even more so if you do A level Economics (I didn't and I still have 93% in the class tests).

How does it fit into the Maths course? It doesn't. If it isn't core (Maths has 90 core CATS) then it isn't necessary to do it. It is a requirement, however, for Mathematical Economics I and II, worth 15 CATS each in the second or third year.

Similarly, for other non core modules in the first year (a wide variety of Physics modules, 2 Stats modules, Philosophy, Computer Science modules as well, they aren't required for any Maths in the second year, however second year non-maths options may have prerequisites.

Obviously you will need to do Stats modules as well.
Reply 809
accomodation form is up, but it doesn't recognise my warwick id or ucas id :s
is it working for other people?
nbailey8
accomodation form is up, but it doesn't recognise my warwick id or ucas id :s
is it working for other people?

It seems a few other people on here were having issues. That's why I think they closed the forms a couple of minutes ago. It reopens from noon May 28 :smile:
I'm all applied. Tocil Whitefields Heronbank Rootes ArthurVick... pretty shoddy selection when it actually came to it, only 4 39 week lets when all the info on the website said that others were 39 weeks.
Reply 812
TheTallOne
It seems a few other people on here were having issues. That's why I think they closed the forms a couple of minutes ago. It reopens from noon May 28 :smile:

thanks, I just saw it! I was getting slightly worried haha.
Reply 813
Blimey this is more tense than waiting for the offer!

I kid, I kid. Still, grrr
Reply 814
Misteryom
I'm all applied. Tocil Whitefields Heronbank Rootes ArthurVick... pretty shoddy selection when it actually came to it, only 4 39 week lets when all the info on the website said that others were 39 weeks.

Do you get to pick 5?!
nbailey8
Do you get to pick 5?!

Yeah, you need to choose 5 or 6 options. Last year it was minimum of 3, maximum of 6.
Reply 816
xx-becky1992-xx
Yeah Im still finding them very hard :\ I just don't know how to start the questions.
Oooh im thinking about Rootes too, definitely looks the best one I think :smile:

Yeah I think I'm getting somewhere with them... but very slowly! I'm not sure really how to revise for them... other than doing past papers... any ideas?

And yeah Rootes looks good! :smile: Im not sure about my second and third choice... maybe Westwood and then Whitefields!
But Im hoping I'll get into rootes as there are so many rooms.

Any idea if it is first come first serve when allocating rooms? And how many week lets is Rootes... somewhere on the website it said 30 and then somewhere else it said 39.. hoping its 39!!
icegem100
Yeah I think I'm getting somewhere with them... but very slowly! I'm not sure really how to revise for them... other than doing past papers... any ideas?

And yeah Rootes looks good! :smile: Im not sure about my second and third choice... maybe Westwood and then Whitefields!
But Im hoping I'll get into rootes as there are so many rooms.

Any idea if it is first come first serve when allocating rooms? And how many week lets is Rootes... somewhere on the website it said 30 and then somewhere else it said 39.. hoping its 39!!

You need to make 5 choices now :colonhash: We've just seen the accommodation forms.

As long as you apply before July 31, you will have a fair chance. It is not first come first serve. The allocation doesn't happen until September.

You will probably get Rootes if you put is as your first choice. Rootes is a 39 week let for 2010-11.

Check out The Warwick Accommodation Thread if you want more information. There's a guide in the first few posts of the thread.
I swear I saw somewhere, a while back, an article which had the walking times from each accomodation block to different areas on campus..
Anyone know where i might find this?
Reply 819
unmodified
I swear I saw somewhere, a while back, an article which had the walking times from each accomodation block to different areas on campus..
Anyone know where i might find this?

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/accommodation/studentaccommodation/all/campus/residences/rootes - U have to go on each one, and it will give you the walking time to the SU, what else could you possibly want on campus?! :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest