Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am in year 11 and I am currently in the process of choosing A level's for next year.

Ever since a young age I have wanted to do medicine - I have chosen Chemistry, Biology and Maths for my first 3 preferences and I am certain about these; I was hoping to seek some advice about my 4th option.

I want to do psychology because I hear it is quite revelant and useful for medical school - however is this a risky option? And will it interefere with my chances of getting in to medical school? Overall is it a good A level to take as a 4th option? If not my other options are history or drama.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ryaaaaannnnn)
    I am in year 11 and I am currently in the process of choosing A level's for next year.

Ever since a young age I have wanted to do medicine - I have chosen Chemistry, Biology and Maths for my first 3 preferences and I am certain about these; I was hoping to seek some advice about my 4th option.

I want to do psychology because I hear it is quite revelant and useful for medical school - however is this a risky option? And will it interefere with my chances of getting in to medical school? Overall is it a good A level to take as a 4th option? If not my other options are history or drama.
    Psychology is considered a bit of a soft subject. You've got the three necessary subjects so I say go for History. It's more interesting and shows a bit of variety

(If you find History interesting, that is. Don't be forced into any subject you don't enjoy.)
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I went for Psychology and History on top of your chosen 3

But I'd go for History, it is viewed more favourable. Definitely don't go for drama, but choose which one you prefer the most, and which one you think you'll get the best grade in.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to do Medicine, out of those three History would be your best choice.

ReputationRep:
    If I did psychology - do you think it would infer that I don't have much variety?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ryaaaaannnnn)
    If I did psychology - do you think it would infer that I don't have much variety?
    I'm gonna assume this means you want to do Psychology. If you wanna do it, go for it! History would be the preference for top unis but as long as you got the grades it wouldn't make a huge difference.

ReputationRep:
    physics would be ideal. if you prefer a humanities choose history as it is traditional. but choosing drama would be inadvisable as it is a blacklisted subject. if you cannot cope with history psychology would be useful with a patient.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.