Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d123)
    But your sig says your Imperial offer is A*AAA? Which is even higher than your Cambridge one.
    I have two Imperial offers (see my sig), the other is just AA - that's the one I'd put as my insurance. The A*AAA one was quite frankly ridiculous. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Apparently the girls in the UCL chemistry department are alrighhhtt :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i.am.lost)
    see this is the attitude I noticed from current Imperial students during interviews, it was all about how prestigious their uni/course is, and how good their graduate prospects are. They also complained that their exams are ridiculously hard and the workload is manic. There were few (if any) signs of a proper social life, and this put me off A LOT. In fact, even Cambridge students seemed more chilled out and sociable than Imperial from what I saw.
    Yeah my performance is greatly influenced by the environment I'm in, I mean *greatly*. I feel if I were at Imperial I'd probably get a 2:1 at best but if I were at UCL I'd have a much better shot at a first (granted it's the same course). I'd be happier with a 1st from UCL opposed to a 2:1 from Imperial but the reason I like Imperial is they have a much cooler looking crest.. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xSkyFire)
    What about the girls ?
    I don't quite understand what the big issue is.

First of all, it's not as though there are no females about, and secondly you'll have enough chance to meet people from outside Imperial.

Anyone who chooses uni options based on gender ratios is a nutsack.

ReputationRep:
    Imperial, because its just better in general, oh and its a University.

ps. it competes and beats oxbridge, UCL is the gay cousin of UK universities

ReputationRep:
    I have two Imperial offers (see my sig), the other is just AA - that's the one I'd put as my insurance. The A*AAA one was quite frankly ridiculous. :rolleyes:
    Ah sorry! I didn't see that! And yes, an A*AAA is pretty ridiculous!

To answer your original question about UCL v Imperial I'd be tempted to say UCL on the basis of the information you've given, because there isn't that much difference in reputation as far as I'm aware but it sounds like there is difference in how much you'll enjoy it, and if you're studying somewhere for 3 years, the most important thing is that you have a good time.

ReputationRep:
    If you went to a boys school and go to Imperial you literally went for your entire education to a boys school

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ejit)

First of all, it's not as though there are no females about, and secondly you'll have enough chance to meet people from outside Imperial.

All I can say is 10:1 - that's the ratio of males:females at Imperial. It's a total sausage-fest.

EDIT: like you say though, we are going for an education. But still, it's 10:1.....

ReputationRep:
    Go to UCL as obviously the social life is quite important for you and you'd want to enjoy your time at uni not become worried and stressed out about the workload, even though as mentioned ICL has a better reputation in sciences. I don't think you'll want to come out of uni and be like a zombie lacking a social life now would you?

ReputationRep:
    All I can say is 10:1 - that's the ratio of males:females at Imperial. It's a total sausage-fest.
    Unless you do computer science, then it's like 99:1

ReputationRep:
    hopefully you get the A* because that's a tough decision to make!

ReputationRep:
    I like Imperial is they have a much cooler looking crest.. :p:
    This made me lol. You judge a uni by the looks of their chrest, well in that case I would like to go to KCL cause they're chrest is uber ownage!:p:

ReputationRep:
    Unless you do computer science, then it's like 99:1
    :rofl: yup, that's pretty spot on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ejit)

As someone who goes to imperial i assure you its harder meeting non-imperial people than you may think, especially when you couple this with the workload...

However, I agree, the gender ratio shouldn't even be a consideration, if it is then you're going to university for all the wrong reasons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Casshern1456)
    This made me lol. You judge a uni by the looks of their chrest, well in that case I would like to go to KCL cause they're chrest is uber ownage!:p:
    Haha well it's just an added bonus since it is a difficult choice to make, although cambridge crest >>>>>> oxford crest

ReputationRep:

EDIT: like you say though, we are going for an education. But still, it's 10:1.....
    64:36 according to unistats.

That may not be 100% accurate, but I don't believe for a second it would be anything near 10:1, what could cause such a huge difference in applicants? Physical sciences I've heard are often male dominated, but there are other courses which tend to attract more varied applicants...business, medicine, biological sciences for example.

ReputationRep:
    It's up to you, lots of people at Imperial like moaning about the workload and it is tough (much tougher than UCL!) and there are geeky people at Imperial - but equally there are plenty of cool people too and the gender imbalance is better than it was a few years ago!

I'm at Imperial but was placed in a UCL-owned intercollegiate Hall for my first term. I hated it so much as I found the people pretty up themselves and cliquey. I moved to a Imperial hall over xmas and had an awesome time for 2 years there, with a good work/play balance. So it goes to show that really it's a matter of who you choose to hang out with, both unis have plenty of geeks/arrogant rahs/cool normal people, you just have to find them!

Reputation wise you know Imperial is streets ahead

ReputationRep:

The ratio depends on the course, EEE is like 30:1, biochem is more like 3:5, and the medics are like 50:50 though medics barely associate with non-medics

ReputationRep:
    What about the girls ?
    Well I am sure that there will be girls at imperial, but if you are not satisfied you have the whole city of London waiting for you.

ReputationRep:
    chemistry- 50:50 (i asked at interview, quite worried), and just go to a BAR if you want to pull, i cant imagine the nerds doign that

saying that- work hard play harder

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 27, 2010
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.