Turn on thread page Beta

Imo, surely the *main* purpose of going to a university is for academic excellence? I.e. get the best education you can possibly can?

Therefore, Imperial > UCL.

I mean, can anyone tell me one course where UCL excels in and Imperial doesn't? (Providing both unis offer the same course).

Also, who cares about the "girls"? If that's a reason for choosing one university over another, that's a pretty **** reason tbh. Especially when Imperial is situated in London.

OP - don't base your decision on other people's experiences. Of course some people find Imperial tough, likewise with UCL. Some people are laidback at Imperial, and likewise with UCL.

It isn't black and white.

Also, how do you *know* you're going to enjoy UCL more than Imperial?

And what's wrong with Imperial being "geeky" - stereotype or not?

Surely it's better to go to a university where there are "geeky" students and are interested in their subject, in comparison to "students" who go to university for the "experience/drugs/girls/social life"?

Come on OP! You have a Cambridge offer!

Imo:

1. Work your yourself DAMN hard to get there. Surprised at your attitude considering you've gotten an offer.
    2. Surely if you missed Cambridge, you would go to the next best place to study, academically speaking?

Yeah, to reiterate, really surprised at your attitude and you've got a Cam offer...

Tbh, this is a non-question. Imperial!

Your argument is based on other people's experiences and unfair generalisations.

Who gives a **** about the male:female ratio?

OP, if you're making your decision based on how many girls there will be or how great the social life will be, then I just think that's pathetic.

But honestly? If I was in your position, I would do everything I can to get into Cambridge. You have this opportunity and you're saying "oh I think I might not get in because of the A*".

If *you* think you can't cope with achieving an A* at A-level, honestly, how will you cope at Cambridge/Imperial?

So, go to the "lax" university that is UCL. There'll be tonnes of girls to shag and you have lots of alcohol to drink and get wasted each night. :rolleyes:

Get a grip. Insure Imperial.

HOWEVER, if you are insuring UCL because you're more suited to the course, prefer the modules. Fair enough. But if you are insuring UCL because of the male:female ratios and other people's experiences - :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    Most of the scientists I know who're deciding between insuring Imperial and UCL went for Imperial and I personally would choose Imperial also. Their courses seem to be slightly more flexible than the UCL ones.
    The location is fantastic(esp for arty people.xD: 3 beautiful museums, royal albert hall and hyde park, what more do you want. :p:)....though this is the opinion of an art geek who tends to favour these things. :p:

Choose which ever you want though, and if you're swaying towards UCL more, go for it. =]

(Original post by LukeSkywalker)
    The ratio depends on the course, EEE is like 30:1, biochem is more like 3:5, and the medics are like 50:50 though medics barely associate with non-medics
    ...may I ask why? As a likely non-medic imperial firm-er, I was counting on hanging around with one of my medic friends(if she decides to come too.xD).. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nimbus)
    ...may I ask why? As a likely non-medic imperial firm-er, I was counting on hanging around with one of my medic friends(if she decides to come too.xD).. :p:
    This isn't purely an Imperial thing, it's true at every uni. The Medic student body is huge and they have their own societies and sometimes their own union. They are quite smug and think they're better than everyone else. I'm sure you'll see your friend lots but it's unlikely you'll be in the same group of friends as her seeing the whole medic/nonmedic divide that exists.

ReputationRep:
    Medics have their own separate union bar called Reynolds so don't go to the normal union. They also have lots of their own freshers events and don't go the normal ones (to be fair their freshers events are much better than ours). I have some medic friends (like 5-6), but far less than from other courses.

Also cos of the gender ratio in the rest of IC compared to in medicine the medic guys like to have all the medic girls to themselves

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i.am.lost)
    This isn't purely an Imperial thing, it's true at every uni. The Medic student body is huge and they have their own societies and sometimes their own union. They are quite smug and think they're better than everyone else. I'm sure you'll see your friend lots but it's unlikely you'll be in the same group of friends as her seeing the whole medic/nonmedic divide that exists.
    (Original post by LukeSkywalker)
    Medics have their own separate union bar called Reynolds so don't go to the normal union. They also have lots of their own freshers events and don't go the normal ones (to be fair their freshers events are much better than ours). I have some medic friends (like 5-6), but far less than from other courses.

Also cos of the gender ratio in the rest of IC compared to in medicine the medic guys like to have all the medic girls to themselves
    Ah, that's interesting to know.
    (*is tempted to converts her medic friend into a biochemist...* jokes. xD)
    Shame that medics don't like to mix with the non-medics much but at least they're not totally insolating themselves from the rest, isn't it? =]

Thanks for the help guys. ^_^

ReputationRep:
    i know lol i got A*AA to do as well ... drivin me nuts anyhow...
    Edit: read few posts, ****! the M/F ratio is heart breaking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibysaiyan)
    Edit: read few posts, ****! the M/F ratio is heart breaking.
    The ratio is also slightly putting me off also(and I'm a girl.XD). After experiencing years of going to an all-girls' school, and doing certain subjects at an all boys' school(and being in some other environments mostly dominated by one gender and etc..) I must say I don't really like the idea of being in such environments but it's not like Imperial is going to be the only place you'll be confined into, isn't it?

I'm sure when the workload gets high and everyone gets their heads buried in books/lectures, nobody's going to care about it anyways! :p:

ReputationRep:
    And what the girls say about finding a boyfriend on campus - 'The odds are good but the goods are odd'

But actually it's not that bad (although as a medic female I'm probably in the majority on my course), it's not as if you're confined to the campus! I have a non-medic boyfriend from Imperial (now graduated) and have both medic and non-medic friends of both sexes. If you are a sociable person then you'll find friends/partners at whatever uni you go to.

ReputationRep:
    Which would you pick?

I was always an Imperial fan, but from what I saw during interviews the Imperial students said they're overworked and didn't seem THAT happy - all they kept saying is how employable they would be etc. By contrast, the UCL students seemed way happier/more relaxed and had only good things to say about their course and department. Also the Imperial students I came across were FAR geekier than at UCL (sorry, but it's true :p:)

This has made me want UCL more than Imperial, but do you think it's worth going to UCL if I'm likely to have a better time and enjoy the course more than Imperial, which is ever so *slightly* better?
    I always thought UCL was better than imperial for sciences?
    + UCL has more history behind it with a lot of famous scientists having been there.

ReputationRep:
    The ratio is also slightly putting me off also(and I'm a girl.XD). After experiencing years of going to an all-girls' school, and doing certain subjects at an all boys' school(and being in some other environments mostly dominated by one gender and etc..) I must say I don't really like the idea of being in such environments but it's not like Imperial is going to be the only place you'll be confined into, isn't it?

I'm sure when the workload gets high and everyone gets their heads buried in books/lectures, nobody's going to care about it anyways! :p:
    Exactly :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    UCL is awesome!
    I find imperial care too much about being elite.. just my opinion from my few visits there..
    And hopefully, you will get an A* and get into cambridge anyway

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the exact same boat as OP (except I got rejected from Oxford so am choosing my firm). Bloody tough choice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshleyT)
    I always thought UCL was better than imperial for sciences?
    + UCL has more history behind it with a lot of famous scientists having been there.
    nahhh while they are both top unis, Imperial's reputation is slightly better than UCL. Not leaps and bounds ahead. But a bit.
    Though in the THES World University Rankings 09, UCL came 4th (ahead of Oxford and Imperial :eek:)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bunkd)
    I'm in the exact same boat as OP (except I got rejected from Oxford so am choosing my firm). Bloody tough choice!
    So which one are you leaning towards?

ReputationRep:
    nahhh while they are both top unis, Imperial's reputation is slightly better than UCL. Not leaps and bounds ahead. But a bit.
    Though in the THES World University Rankings 09, UCL came 4th (ahead of Oxford and Imperial :eek:)
    Imperial doesn't have the international reputation people think it does imo. This is mostly due to the fact it's a relatively new uni.

Yes i know imperial is generally considered better...but i wouldn't pay much attention so a couple of spots different in a league table.

but for Sciences? I'd personally rate UCL above it. All the textbooks i used for chemistry in A level had some reference to someone at UCL and none had a reference to Imperial.

Have a look at the RAE for research, see who had better research for your course...that might give some indication too.

ReputationRep:
    I'm literally on the ucas reply page now about to reject Imperial and put UCL as my firm. I wanted to go Imperial since forever but the interview day put me off for exactly the same reasons - all the students were complaining about the workload and the place was so quiet. But I'm still not 100%, Imperial's probably the best in the country for my course whereas UCL's probably not in the top 10. Let us know what you pick in the end

ReputationRep:
    So which one are you leaning towards?
    Well, my offer for Imperial is AA, and AB for UCL.. so it makes sense to firm ICL, but other than that I don't really have any good reason to. This is for theoretical physics though - full of babes :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bunkd)
    Well, my offer for Imperial is AA, and AB for UCL.. so it makes sense to firm ICL, but other than that I don't really have any good reason to. This is for theoretical physics though - full of babes :lolwut:
    :p: fair enough, I'd probably make the same decision in your boat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fbaghn91)
    I'm literally on the ucas reply page now about to reject Imperial and put UCL as my firm. I wanted to go Imperial since forever but the interview day put me off for exactly the same reasons - all the students were complaining about the workload and the place was so quiet. But I'm still not 100%, Imperial's probably the best in the country for my course whereas UCL's probably not in the top 10. Let us know what you pick in the end
    Will do

It's funny how many people are pretty much in the same position :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Definitely Imperial.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 27, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.